• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was likely me here. Enjoy the shirts. Mashburn makes good stuff in general.

I got the shirts today. I didn't remember exactly what they looked like, but I am not at all disappointed!

p.s. given you like bold summer shirts, have you The White Lotus? Some nice resort wear fits from the manager. Really working the novelty patterned shirt w/ suit look.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.35.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.36.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.39.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.40.52 PM.png

Octobab

Reaction score
Any basic reccomendations for briefcase makers around or under $300? Never paid much attention to leather goods beyond shoes so I'm just looking for a few names (or threads) to get me started. Thinking about Meermin ballpark quality/value proposition

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any basic reccomendations for briefcase makers around or under $300? Never paid much attention to leather goods beyond shoes so I'm just looking for a few names (or threads) to get me started. Thinking about Meermin ballpark quality/value proposition
Coach?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

brief case or messenger style over the shoulder style? Hard sided or soft with a. Strap?

I like T Anthony a lot. They aren’t as well known, so you get some good finds on eBay. They retail in the $800-1200 range if I recall, but you can find good ones on eBay from time to time in the range you are talking. They had one similar the model I used for 15 years in mint condition for only about $150 recently. Don’t see anything now, but keep an eye out.

I really think you would be tough pressed to find something worthwhile for that price new/retail. I would go for used on eBay for that price point.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
does it have to be briefcase, I would think in the ipad age a portfolio would suffice, then you can find Rutherfords/Glenroyal/Picketts on ebay for cheap

some of the leather looks a lot better than others I got to say, so I guess if you buy from the guy ask him if that's the exact one he is shipping

Last edited:

Octobab

Reaction score
brief case or messenger style over the shoulder style? Hard sided or soft with a. Strap?

I like T Anthony a lot. They aren’t as well known, so you get some good finds on eBay. They retail in the $800-1200 range if I recall, but you can find good ones on eBay from time to time in the range you are talking. They had one similar the model I used for 15 years in mint condition for only about $150 recently. Don’t see anything now, but keep an eye out.

I really think you would be tough pressed to find something worthwhile for that price new/retail. I would go for used on eBay for that price point.

does it have to be briefcase, I would think in the ipad age a portfolio would suffice, then you can find Rutherfords/Glenroyal/Picketts on ebay for cheap

some of the leather looks a lot better than others I got to say, so I guess if you buy from the guy ask him if that's the exact one he is shipping

Should have specified: soft sided, shoulder-strapped, formal enough to sit well with tailoring but not so formal as to only work with tailoring. I like the folio concept a lot and have one, but there's a need to use the thing on a bicycle, carry a charger brick, a book, a sandwich, maybe even wedge in a bottle of wine, etc.

As for cost point, I'm certainly open to tasty eBay picks, but the idea that nobody makes anything new worth buying for $300 seems... doubtful.

At this moment I'm strongly considering Beckett Simonon, but partially only because they and Filson are the only makers I'm really aware of, beyond common recs like frank clegg that are just ludicrously beyond what's reasonable for me right now.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Should have specified: soft sided, shoulder-strapped, formal enough to sit well with tailoring but not so formal as to only work with tailoring. I like the folio concept a lot and have one, but there's a need to use the thing on a bicycle, carry a charger brick, a book, a sandwich, maybe even wedge in a bottle of wine, etc.

As for cost point, I'm certainly open to tasty eBay picks, but the idea that nobody makes anything new worth buying for $300 seems... doubtful.

At this moment I'm strongly considering Beckett Simonon, but partially only because they and Filson are the only makers I'm really aware of, beyond common recs like frank clegg that are just ludicrously beyond what's reasonable for me right now.

I am not usually a “price is everything” type of consumer. But there are some things that are worth paying for. Quality leather goods are one of them.
I had my leather bag from t Anthony for 15 years before I finally retired it.
sort of like quality shoes. A well done leather bag is a real investment piece. It will age well. It will last.
I did have a less expensive leather bag prior tk the nicer one. It was good, got it done, but only used it for a few years before I moved on.

I got more bang for the buck from the bag that was significantly more expensive.

but if you are ona. Budget, do what you have to do. I’m sure you can find something.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I assume when you're selling a leather briefcase for $300, you're cutting from the lower-end parts of the hide, which may result in ugly wrinkles over time. As you move away from the spine of the animal, you're more likely to get loose grain wrinkling.

Some people recommend places like Saddleback Leather, but their bags look a bit rustic to me, especially for use with tailored clothing. There are also lots of small shops that offer bridle leather briefcases for reasonable prices, such as Henry Tomkins and Hrothgar Stibbon. But like you, I prefer soft-sided briefcases, as I find them to look more modern.

Drop 93 currently has a suede Valextra bag right now for about $700. Suede will pick up dirt marks easily, so you either have to baby this, add a suede protector, or just be OK with patinas (likely all three). Nice bag though.

I don't know about $300, but around the $500-ish price point, I would just go for non-leather, such as Ettinger, Porter, Chapman, or Filson.

If you're using this in casual settings, you can also get a tote. I think totes look fine with tailored clothing, so long as it's not the most formal version (e.g. not dark suits) or worn in "serious" settings (e.g. coat-and-tie offices). In a casual setting and with a sport coat, I think totes can be stylish. Can be as cheap as a canvas tote from your favorite bookstore (prob like $25) to something higher end like Bennett Winch ($500-ish).

Octobab

Reaction score
I assume when you're selling a leather briefcase for $300, you're cutting from the lower-end parts of the hide, which may result in ugly wrinkles over time. As you move away from the spine of the animal, you're more likely to get loose grain wrinkling.

Some people recommend places like Saddleback Leather, but their bags look a bit rustic to me, especially for use with tailored clothing. There are also lots of small shops that offer bridle leather briefcases for reasonable prices, such as Henry Tomkins and Hrothgar Stibbon. But like you, I prefer soft-sided briefcases, as I find them to look more modern.

Drop 93 currently has a suede Valextra bag right now for about $700. Suede will pick up dirt marks easily, so you either have to baby this, add a suede protector, or just be OK with patinas (likely all three). Nice bag though.

I don't know about $300, but around the $500-ish price point, I would just go for non-leather, such as Ettinger, Porter, Chapman, or Filson.

If you're using this in casual settings, you can also get a tote. I think totes look fine with tailored clothing, so long as it's not the most formal version (e.g. not dark suits) or worn in "serious" settings (e.g. coat-and-tie offices). In a casual setting and with a sport coat, I think totes can be stylish. Can be as cheap as a canvas tote from your favorite bookstore (prob like $25) to something higher end like Bennett Winch ($500-ish).

Thank you, tremendously informative as always. I've salivated over a 256 for years and it would suit my purposes perfectly, but with where my style is these days it'd feel like a kind of event horizon from which I'd never return, forever to be 'that guy who won't shut up about David Coggins'

Totes are very attractive, but I always end up taking issue with the straps; being on the same-side, it always feels like it's sliding off, and riding a bike becomes more or less impossible. I've never seen a tote with a cross-body strap, and I'm worried that even if someone were to, the effect would just be dorky and awkward.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linjer is supposed to be good, but they cost more than 300 usd.

Some other european options are saddler, royal republiq and sandqvist.

This sandqvist bag is supposedly full grain leather.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my listing, but this appears to be a steal (plus seller is taking offers):

For formal wear, I typically stick to conservative colours (i.e. black, dark blue), but there is something nice about a tangerine colour in a black tie setting (obviously wouldn't work in an office setting - unless it's a neck tie).

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random question regarding Sid Mashburn 5-pocket jeans:
Anybody had them take in the waist on theirs?
Someone told me they bought a pair and Sid brought them in in the waist for them. But I cannot remember who.
And my question specifically is: how did they do it? Is the end result good?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's the maker? Sainandrea?

Most likely, yes. It's from the Handmade Line, which is their most expensive level.

It's different from the Hand Tailored line, which is a step below in terms of construction, and made by Caruso.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads