• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is. Honestly, no one really gives a **** anymore. The only thing that matters at Augusta National is the green jacket. And your dad doesn't have one. Just look nice-ish. Don't worry about it too much.
I searched for events at that club to help out the OP. All I could literally find was pics of dudes in the Green Jacket.

Octobab

Reaction score
Apparently even the guys who do have them don't like them enough to wear them

1627841674531.png

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I searched for events at that club to help out the OP. All I could literally find was pics of dudes in the Green Jacket.
Yeah it's like you only can be at Augusta National if you are a member. And members/Master's winners get green jackets. The green jackets can only leave the club for the first year you are a winner.

So yeah it's like you wear the **** out of it when you can. But it's a golf club everyone is gonna be wearing khakis and golf polos.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently even the guys who do have them don't like them enough to wear them

View attachment 1647307
Unrelated but I was in Augusta once and chatting with the manager of one of the middle-tier hotels (I think it was like a Hampton Inn type of place). I asked him how much of their revenue comes from Master's Week. He said that one covers the 51 other weeks of the year.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
So my father via his work has been invited for dinner at Augusta national; it's my responsibility to dress him.

What direction and level of formality is appropriate here? Full worsted and tie? Hopsack SC and chinos? Ive never been to a country club, let alone THE country club, so I have no idea at all what people wear to these sorts of things

most country clubs dinner attire is generally similar to a Biz Caj look. Blazer or sports coat or hop sack jackwith trousers and leather shoes (oxfords or loafers, if you have bad feet then derbies. Loafers are fine and will probably be the norm). A polo/golf shirt under the blazer/sports coat is fine but you could wear a button down if you wanted to be safe (could go short sleeve button down). Wear a nice belt, could be a simple leather belt but could also wear one of the nicer course logo belts that are trendy now (but leather would be safer). Dressier trousers as opposed to athletic pants with zippers or extra pockets are preferred.

main rules: shirt tucked in. No cover under cover (don’t wear a hat). Bring a blazer/sports coat of some sort. Leather shoes (although I’m sure some will flirt with more casual on this area)

I would avoid the southern gentleman look with pastels and sweaters and such, and avoid loudero or brighter colors. Keep it conservative and he will be fine.

Augusta is pretty elitist, but no moreso than dozens of others. Not like if you showed up in appropriate attire for merion or baltusrol or Brookline or Westchester you would be turned away at Augusta.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
So my father via his work has been invited for dinner at Augusta national; it's my responsibility to dress him.

What direction and level of formality is appropriate here? Full worsted and tie? Hopsack SC and chinos? Ive never been to a country club, let alone THE country club, so I have no idea at all what people wear to these sorts of things

Augusta is pretty standard fare for country clubs (tucked in shirts, preppy athleisure, clean shoes that flirt the line between sporty and business casual, etc.)

Typically these events have a host, as Augusta doesn't "rent out" the place for groups. If I were your father I would focus more on his work and the host than I would the club at large. To many others' points, there's no "strict dress code."

Wear whatever he's most comfortable wearing on the more formal side of business casual and he'll be fine. Augusta members are more rich than they are proper, so looking like you're comfortable scores far more points than looking like you're doing Colonel Sanders cosplay. But again, this could all depend on how your dad typically dresses for work and/or the expectations of his host.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if I were invited to the Congressional Golf Club here in DC for dinner tonight with no dress input on the invite I would wear:

Navy blazer in summer hopsack (with a white linen pocket square in TV fold)
Linen/linen blend dress pants in light gray, white, off white, etc.
Button down dress shirt in solid white or light blue, light pink even.
Leather or dark suede dress loafers
Nice watch.

This. Always. Works.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Maybe not the right thread (or even the right part of this forum), but trying my luck:

picked up this jacket. It’s allegedly a vintage US army jacket. Never had a similar jacket, so would like your input

1) do you think the size looks ok? Not sure how these are supposed to fit
2) can I pair it with chinos and OCBDs (as shown here), or should I aim for more rugged pairings (jeans, t-shirt)?

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• E5AF51C6-BF58-4484-BA30-5DB1D6B5EBC6.jpeg
    E5AF51C6-BF58-4484-BA30-5DB1D6B5EBC6.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 499F65F4-4602-47AF-9D95-08227F2CD700.jpeg
    499F65F4-4602-47AF-9D95-08227F2CD700.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 0CEDE146-9E52-43DD-9A43-C9B421CB9035.jpeg
    0CEDE146-9E52-43DD-9A43-C9B421CB9035.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 35

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the right thread (or even the right part of this forum), but trying my luck:

picked up this jacket. It’s allegedly a vintage US army jacket. Never had a similar jacket, so would like your input

2) can I pair it with chinos and OCBDs (as shown here), or should I aim for more rugged pairings (jeans, t-shirt)?

thanks for your help!

This is probably one of the best threads for this type of question.

1) They were originally designed to be very loose fitting and meant to be be worn over just a t-shirt, all buttons fastened except the top button. I've seen people size down to get a more "modern" fit. Yours looks like it fits fine if you want to wear it as shown over a button down. I am generally a Large in most shirts, knits etc., and I have two vintage jungle jackets, a medium to wear as a shirt/jacket over a T, and a large to layer over button up shirts and tailoring (see more below)

2) There are so many ways to wear one of these: looks great in your pics as is, wear it like that! Wear it with jeans and T, that should be good too. Or use it to layer over knits or tailoring on those cool spring or fall days, where a jacket is too much, but you need some sort of extra layer: see below for some inspiration. I occasionally use mine a "raincoat" when the rain is light, and its too hot to wear a more waterproof piece....

Note, I know that last pic is a filed jacket, not a jungle jacket, but you get the gist.
1627932825633.png
V-Neck-Header.jpg
1627932922853.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thanks for your help!

I think that would look better if you had something underneath to fill the space. Sometimes roomy outerwear looks better when you have chunky knit or a midlayer piece underneath, rather than just a dress shirt.

Octobab

Reaction score
...picked up this jacket. It’s allegedly a vintage US army jacket. Never had a similar jacket, so would like your input...

It looks great! But I agree with DWW that while the sizing looks good, it does look a little empty and cavernous under there.

For how to style these things I can't recommend enough that you check out Ethan M Wong, who does a lot of jungle jackets and other vintage militaria with tailoring in verious levels of formality https://www.instagram.com/ethanmwong/?hl=en Permanent Style also had a neat little article breaking down his style https://www.permanentstyle.com/2021/05/tailoring-and-milsurp-how-to-dress-like-ethan-wong.html

JIMIG

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the comments, pictures and links.

I was second guessing the size, thinking it might be too oversized. But after reading your comments, I will stick with this size and try out different types of layering.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Stuart added some non iron stuff and at I guess something between jcrew/RL px

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the comments, pictures and links.

I was second guessing the size, thinking it might be too oversized. But after reading your comments, I will stick with this size and try out different types of layering.
Cardigans help IMO, especially shorter ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads