• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a kid in Taiwan, I remember seeing Mormons dress in white short sleeve shirt +tie and black pants, black dress shoe, never paid attention then to knew if the shirt were button down or not
Yes, always dark trousers (hopefully charcoal grey). ;)
The Mormons I’ve met often do wear a white short sleeved button down shirt, but it’s rarely linen and always with a tie. And a smile.
Agreed.

I think Simon’s outfit is fine and have no issues with short sleeved shirts. Personally I’d wear something a little more funky but that’s just my personality.
Those shoes (the type not the color ... I'd go slightly lighter) make it work for me. I keep a fair number of short sleeve shirts ... mostly in linen and seersucker. But now that I spend summers in the PNW ... they don't get much wear unless I travel.

--

I'm recalling a dark and stormy night when two (they always arrive in pairs) handsome young missionary fellows -- white shirts, ties, dark trousers, and dark coats (it was somewhat cold) -- showed up at the door. As a gay man how could I turn them away? I'm not a heartless cad. I invited them in for a warm (neither alcoholic nor caffeine laden) drink. It went nowhere fast ... but we did have an interesting discussion ... and I did later discover that they'd scheduled me for baptism.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a kid in Taiwan, I remember seeing Mormons dress in white short sleeve shirt +tie and black pants, black dress shoe, never paid attention then to knew if the shirt were button down or not
But you probably noticed whether the shoes were hand welted or not.

Simon's outfit looks as if it shrunk severely in the wash.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you’re thinking of Mormons. I’m a JW and we never rode bikes in the ministry, although that would’ve been a lot of fun. Whenever we would meet we would joke about how we are often confused for each other.

On another note, happy to see this trend gaining traction:

I'm sure you're correct. Must have been Mormons I saw as a kid always pedaling around with determination.

I guess a t-shirt could look alright with a casual suit. Out of my comfort zone but it would work with a casual summer suit I guess. Sort of covered in another thread:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drunk bought two Sid Mashburn shirts last night because someone mentioned the Sid Mashburn sale. Now I can't find the post. God dammit. I don't think I've bought clothes other than actual workwear for actual physical labor the entire pandemic.

90% of the time I don't have to leave my house, so I wear black t-shirts and basketball shorts. Why did I do this to myself?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drunk bought two Sid Mashburn shirts last night because someone mentioned the Sid Mashburn sale. Now I can't find the post. God dammit. I don't think I've bought clothes other than actual workwear for actual physical labor the entire pandemic.

90% of the time I don't have to leave my house, so I wear black t-shirts and basketball shorts. Why did I do this to myself?
That was likely me here. Enjoy the shirts. Mashburn makes good stuff in general.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about "Michael Drake" label ties? Is this an offshoot of Drake's? Or Drake's factory seconds or something?
Maybe vintage originals from when they started? Someone in the Drake’s thread would know.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about "Michael Drake" label ties? Is this an offshoot of Drake's? Or Drake's factory seconds or something?

Michael Drake is one of the original co-founders of Drake's. He's run a few accessories labels. One was called Hill & Drake, which he ran with Michael Hill's father, Charles Hill. You sometimes see Hill & Drake ties floating on eBay and some of their private label work (identifiable by the small black tag, which ends in CH).

Then there's Drake's, which used to be called Drake's of London. And he also ran a short-lived firm under his own name, Michael Hill. You can identify those by the same black tag, which will say MD at the bottom. When Drake's does private label work, they also use the MD tag.

This is the Charles Hill and Michael Drake label. Note how the smaller tag says CH for Charles Hill.

s-l500.jpeg

This is the Michael Drake line. Note the MD tag for Michael's name

aaa.jpeg
aaaaaa.jpeg

This is modern Drake's. Again, same MD tag. You can find this same tag on some Ben Silver ties, as they do private label work for the brand.

aaaaaa.jpeg
aaaa3.jpeg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the Michael Drake line. Note the MD tag for Michael's name

View attachment 1646060
Thanks for the detailed response! This "Michael Drake" label is the one I was wondering about since I've only seen it on the second hand market. Quality of the ties the same as those carrying the Drake's label?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response! This "Michael Drake" label is the one I was wondering about since I've only seen it on the second hand market. Quality of the ties the same as those carrying the Drake's label?

Many of those vintage ties aren't really worth buying, to be honest. They're interesting as part of menswear history, but the designs are often very vintage-y and dated, and the previous owners have yanked the shape out of them. I think other members have had better luck buying vintage ties, but every time I've purchased one, I've been disappointed with how the interlining has been stretched out. I feel like out of twenty vintage ties I buy, there's one that's wearable. Sellers are poor judges of how the interlining feels; they are often just vintage hunters who scour stores and sell things on eBay.

If you're adamant about owning something, you can always get it relined. I once found a vintage Anderson & Sheppard tie that I think is charming, so I sent it to Tie Crafters in NYC to have it redone. It's basically the same shell but with a new interlining. That work is expensive and with the shipping, it ends up being about the same as buying a new tie.

If you're looking for affordable, tasteful ties that are in reasonably good condition, look at Ben Silver. Many of those are new or worn by people who bought them in the last ten years, rather than the last twenty or thirty (which is how old a Hill and Drake or Michael Hill label will be). As such, they may have not seen that much wear. Ben Silver ties are reasonably tasteful save for some jacquard and pastels. Many are also made by (modern) Drake's anyway.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. Not a huge fan myself but sometimes it can work.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads