• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I don't appear in court anymore, but I was talking with one of my former colleagues and he said that for the past 15+ months he's just been sitting at his desk at home and making appearances before the court while wearing a shirt and tie on top, and shorts and slippers below.

He commented that it's going to feel really odd having to wear long trousers and business shoes again!

one of my partners does that. But it takes so much more effort to put the shirt and tie on when the zoom hearing arrives and then take it off than just to wear the proper pants during the day.

he sort of jokes about the look as sort of a celebration that he doesn’t have to drive to the courthouse, but I don’t think it saves him time or is more comfortable than just wearing trousers during the day.

when I was working at home, I would still out the suit on. It helped me to differentiate between work time and relax time. Too easy to just say f it and step outside to the beach or the pool and blow off whatever tasks need to be done when working from home, when wearing the proper attire it’s a reminder not to do it. Also, it was a reminder when sitting on the beach or at the pool but not wearing a suit that I was not working.
but that was due to the exceptional circumstances of work from home and adjusting.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a kind of poll on members here before I express my opinion: What do you think of shorts in a CM context, and strictly during the hotter months of the year?

• Wow
Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to get a kind of poll on members here before I express my opinion: What do you think of shorts in a CM context, and strictly during the hotter months of the year?
In a resort setting, I'll wear Bermuda shorts. In town ... NO!

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I think shorts can be incorporated into a CM wardrobe and should generally be limited to the hotter months when you're in close proximity to the water and engaged in leisure pursuits. Outside of that, I think you've left CM behind. I'm not someone who thinks shorts are for young boys and that men should never wear them, but I'd like to see them used a bit more sparingly than they are now.

Reactions: RSS

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear shorts with polos, v neck t shirts, or SS linen shirts during the summer. Shirts are always untucked and never a LS shirt with shorts.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think my opinion is necessarily objectively right, but I think men in shorts generally look bad unless in the context of playing sports or doing water based activities.

I live in Los Angeles and vacation in Hawaii regularly. In both places I only wear shorts to the beach, and those are usually trunks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear them out all the time for casual stuff. Linen shorts are amazing here in sticky DC area. Pants are just too hot in the high summer.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

LOL at acting like you didn't know EXACTLY what kind of replies this would create.

Shorts are practical and utilitarian and fun. I also generally find the "never shorts" crowd are overly formulaic dressers whose sense of dressing begins and ends at board meetings.

Wearing shorts well demonstrates an understanding of proportion, silhouette, and design that most CM garments simply don't require. They're easy to **** up and so people shun them. Grow in your experience and enjoyment of clothes, kings. And don't skip leg day.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at acting like you didn't know EXACTLY what kind of replies this would create.

Shorts are practical and utilitarian and fun. I also generally find the "never shorts" crowd are overly formulaic dressers whose sense of dressing begins and ends at board meetings.

Wearing shorts well demonstrates an understanding of proportion, silhouette, and design that most CM garments simply don't require. They're easy to **** up and so people shun them. Grow in your experience and enjoyment of clothes, kings. And don't skip leg day.

What a load of nonsense.

As if people can't express their preferences without lacking knowledge.

In regards to the merits or implications of your message.

Wednesday I'm picking up my latest commission - a rust colored linen sport coat with koi fish lining. Not "board meeting" dress...still dislike shorts.

I also never skip leg day. In fact, I played loose prop in rugby for years ... a symptom of which has always been having developed legs. Still dislike shorts.

Also..."kings"? Wtf is this, a bad Instagram spam message?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
What a load of nonsense.

As if people can't express their preferences without lacking knowledge.

In regards to the merits or implications of your message.

Wednesday I'm picking up my latest commission - a rust colored linen sport coat with koi fish lining. Not "board meeting" dress...still dislike shorts.

I also never skip leg day. I'm fact, I played loose prop in rugby for years ... a symptom of which has always been having developed legs. Still dislike shorts.

Also..."kings"? Wtf is this, a bad Instagram spam message?

Validus, baby, why so tense? Hopefully the fish jacket puts a pep in your step and rights your mood. It sounds cool.

You'll note words like "I find" and "generally" in my response. We've never met and you seem quite specific. To each their own.

There just seems to be a resounding "shorts are stupid" or "shorts don't look good" movement that is as rigid as it is broad. Shorts have their place and can look cool. I'm not saying you have to like shorts but I'm also saying to discount them as totally invalid outside of sport is pretty narrowminded. I also posit that the Venn diagram of dudes who only know how to wear formal clothes and dudes who refuse to wear shorts is approaching a perfect circle. Just one man's subjective and wildly uninformed opinion.

Keep those stems tight, brother. Your sporting exploits sound like real king ****.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL I admit, I was definitely expecting a certain flavour of responses.

My own views have varied somewhat. I actually like shorts done well, but it requires the right fit and colour/design like you said. It also helps to be in shape and make it a deliberate look - not like a basketball team reject.

The ones I like best are fitted around the leg, above the knee, and with small patterns or repeated designs. It seems to make them more 'fun' and sporty.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

?
no shorts in town
dress for your age!
a true man only wears sneakers to play sports
:teach:
tee shirts are for the beach exclusively
the Pitti clowns. why can’t they wear socks!!!?
sweat pants… sweat pants!?… swea…<aneurysm>
?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads