• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks good point.
I want to get Hober eventually but I see a 20% off sitewide sale at Granqvist. Will probably snag a few there for now
I prefer grossa for the reasons stated above. That said, I find the larger loops of grossa are more susceptible to snagging than fina, on watch strap buckles, cufflinks, etc. I consciously change my body language when wearing Grenadine (“Sir, please step out of the vehicle, and keep your hands away from your tie!”). Were I a bit clumsier, it might cause me to favor fina. + 1 Sam Hober.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been out to eat a few times since our lockdown ended to some of the better restaurants in town. A couple people with jackets at dinner for weekend service. Took some clients to a steakhouse on a weeknight and button downs and jeans or trousers seemed to be the norm in the dining room.

Work the people back are definitely a step or two more casual but hard to tell if it’s the summer weather or lasting.

I’ve noticed for myself being much more casual since the schedule is more flexible for partial remote so I can throw on a polo and pants and then just toss on a pair of shorts to go golf in the afternoon or hit a baseball game as long as I don’t have anything client facing during the day but keep a few shirts, ties and a suit and jacket in my office in case something pops up. Used to be suits 90% of the time but also had client meetings most days that have mainly moved to zoom and teams or calls. I miss the entertaining clients part but damn am I glad we have gotten to the point where phone calls and emails replace most of the time wasting meetings.
I live in the LA area. Here, many well educated and affluent individuals aspire to dress like unemployed garage mechanics, and they often succeed. Thus, it is hard to establish a pre-covid casualization baseline.

I find that I want to dress up now that it is possible to safely go out and about again. I’m trying to do that in a stealth fashion, moving up a notch inconspicuously: a textured Kamakura OCBD rather than an open collar, Incotex or Rota chinos rather than jeans, Church’s suede rubber sole brogues rather than loafers. I feel this approach is working for me. I feel good, I think I look good to others, but not in such a way so as to draw undue attention.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer grossa for the reasons stated above. That said, I find the larger loops of grossa are more susceptible to snagging than fina, on watch strap buckles, cufflinks, etc. I consciously change my body language when wearing Grenadine (“Sir, please step out of the vehicle, and keep your hands away from your tie!”). Were I a bit clumsier, it might cause me to favor fina. + 1 Sam Hober.

100%. First time you snag your grossa tie you will grow much more careful in future.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most everyone was pretty raggedy the past Autumn/Winter season, but I think things are basically back to normal dress-wise. Nothing particularly more or less casual.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Was watching this Zegna fall/winter 2021 fashion show this morning.

seems like the style of trimmer, form fitting, no break in the pant legs,jacket sleeves displaying shirt cuffs, is really not on their radar.
looks more like a turn toward late 90’s into 2000’s loose fitting baggy drape.

Their theme is even titled the Re(set). Taking a look at their roots.

everything is cyclical

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most everyone was pretty raggedy the past Autumn/Winter season, but I think things are basically back to normal dress-wise. Nothing particularly more or less casual.
Might have been during the autumn/winter ... but I wasn't out to see it. We elected to hunker down big time (had already suffered two deaths in our family). I'm hoping last night was not a harbinger of things to come here in the Northwest. The dress was not just "down" but truly sloppy.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was watching this Zegna fall/winter 2021 fashion show this morning.

seems like the style of trimmer, form fitting, no break in the pant legs,jacket sleeves displaying shirt cuffs, is really not on their radar.
looks more like a turn toward late 90’s into 2000’s loose fitting baggy drape.

Their theme is even titled the Re(set). Taking a look at their roots.

everything is cyclical

Things in general are becoming less extreme than 10 years ago, which I appreciate since I never went too far in that direction myself.

There is some exaggeration in the bagginess here, though, that I think is more for effect. The 70s and 90s are a bigger deal for style inspiration among younger people right now, but it's not just 'huge everything.' That sweater is draped just-so, the coat's shoulders accentuate the model-esque body beneath, the jeans are wider but fit the seat perfectly, etc.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might have been during the autumn/winter ... but I wasn't out to see it. We elected to hunker down during big time (had already suffered two deaths in our family). I'm hoping last night was not a harbinger of things to come here in the Northwest. The dress was not just "down" but truly sloppy.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm in Toronto myself, so things are just starting to open up again here as well. What I've noticed is that the older people, middle-aged and above, are the ones more willing to let things slide. The younger Millennials/GenZ still obviously put thought into their outfits, even if they vary.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm in Toronto myself, so things are just starting to open up again here as well. What I've noticed is that the older people, middle-aged and above, are the ones more willing to let things slide. The younger Millennials/GenZ still obviously put thought into their outfits, even if they vary.
Interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that. 30-something was about the youngest I saw last night. Most were 40's and 50's.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that. 30-something was about the youngest I saw last night. Most were 40's and 50's.

It's very apparent in my area. I'm not sure how much of it is a misguided statement or just pure laziness, but I'd much rather see some alternative type of style than literally no effort whatsoever in any direction. It's like an unspoken code dividing people in two these days.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

i think the letting things slide is a start, but will return to more attention to detail after a bit of a dip.

anecdotal story: person I know (60+) in New England told me he went back to court recently for the first time in over a year as things are just opening up.
he felt under dressed. Didn’t realize how casual he was dressed. So he bought a new suit immediately.

i think we will see more of those situations start tk move the bar upwards. People want to look nice. People want nice things and to have pride in ownership and appearance. When they go out and see others who are again taking time to look proper, it serves as an inspiration for them to do the same.

of course it will never go back to everyone wearing proper attire. But those days are long long gone, especially in America with our McDonald’s culture.

but I do think a lot of the people who have let themselves slide over the pandemic won’t want to keep it that way and will put effort into their appearance once they get out and about and see others doing the same.

I think the same in both social and professional environments.
Socially, people will want to look good.
professionally, people will want to dress in a manner that instills confidence and responsibility and experience. In some circles maybe that is casually, but in industries where people make a lot of first impressions and are trying to convey an image to gain ones trust, well there is a reason why professional attire exists and why it won’t likely go away.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the LA area. Here, many well educated and affluent individuals aspire to dress like unemployed garage mechanics, and they often succeed.

Super true. I wore a blue open collar, dark jeans, a brown check linen blazer, and Conistons the other day and got 3 comments along the variation of "Thats a nice suit!"

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Super true. I wore a blue open collar, dark jeans, a brown check linen blazer, and Conistons the other day and got 3 comments along the variation of "Thats a nice suit!"

Hah! And here I am tending to feel sheepish when I'm complimented on my, "suit," when I'm wearing a sport coat with and odd waistcoat and pair of trousers!

Here in Philadelphia one can still occasionally find men walking the streets of Center City in suits, at least on weekdays, and even at the SEPTA offices, most of the nabobs and satraps still wear at least a sport coat with some frequency and even the lowest of them in the hierarchy at least keep a necktie handy in case of a meeting on the tenth floor. (As I overdress as a matter of routine, I've several times been the best dressed in a room with several muckety-mucks of various heights, despite being a peon)

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anecdotal story: person I know (60+) in New England told me he went back to court recently for the first time in over a year as things are just opening up.
He felt under dressed. Didn’t realize how casual he was dressed. So he bought a new suit immediately.

I don't appear in court anymore, but I was talking with one of my former colleagues and he said that for the past 15+ months he's just been sitting at his desk at home and making appearances before the court while wearing a shirt and tie on top, and shorts and slippers below.

He commented that it's going to feel really odd having to wear long trousers and business shoes again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads