• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took about 12 pairs of smart casual trousers to the tailor, all Summer weight, and had the inseam hemmed 1.5" higher. I no longer want any break in them during the warm weather. I like the cooler flow of air and the look of a shorter inseam after decades of long and plenty of break.

If money was no object I'd buy 3 of any given trouser and hem to three different lengths, from nearly cropped to full flowing.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if noted here, but Style Icon and Sartorial Masterpiece Frank Bonner has passed away. Nobody ever rocked a crushed velvet, plaid sportcoat harder than Herb Tarlek.

E4HxJyhXEAAu5vV

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand it either. I own a pair of cashmere sweatpants to wear around the house when I have insomnia, but I can't imagine wearing them to the store or anywhere else.

Some people really don't care though. My wedding comes to mind often when thinking about "mental comfort" in being casually out of place. We did black tie, and i'd say about 300 out of 350 guests were in traditional black tie attire, and then most of the rest were close. One female guest (who was part of my like "party friends" from college) came in a very short leopard print dress. She....obviously didn't really understand what was going to be there and was visibly mortified once she saw what the event was. She even apologized to my wife (who of course didn't care and said it wasn't a big deal). Another guy (older) showed up in cargo shorts and a wrinkled polo - he was way casual, like 5 steps beyond anyone else and very clearly didn't care or think it mattered.

TL;DR - I can never tell from where the casual drive comes - if its "I don't care" or "I don't know" or an active attempt to "break" more formal norms.
You are a far, far, better man than I, Validus. Had it happened at my wedding, the miscreant’s car might have ended a smoldering wreck under a freeway. Not by my hand; my ex’s family is New York, Russian-Italian. These are three groups not known either for suffering offenses against propriety, nor for letting bygones be bygones.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a navy grenadine, is grossa or fina better? What do you guys think?

Not sure how to answer "better."

I tend to prefer grossa for solids. Grossa has a more textured look and therefore with solid grenadines I think that grossa makes for a more interesting tie. But if you want a smoother look than you would think fina is better I guess?

What's your measure for better?

EddieK

Reaction score
Not sure how to answer "better."

I tend to prefer grossa for solids. Grossa has a more textured look and therefore with solid grenadines I think that grossa makes for a more interesting tie. But if you want a smoother look than you would think fina is better I guess?

What's your measure for better?
Versatility is important for me personally/
Being able to dress it up or down.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Versatility is important for me personally/
Being able to dress it up or down.

Since fina ties tend to resolve more to solid at a distance, and are less obviously textured than are grossa - they "dress down" worse in my opinion.

So for versatility I would go grossa. If you're looking for a navy grenadine, I would recommend checking out Sam Hober.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grossa always looks better to me, personally. But then I don't really go in for grenadine myself.

EddieK

Reaction score
Since fina ties tend to resolve more to solid at a distance, and are less obviously textured than are grossa - they "dress down" worse in my opinion.

So for versatility I would go grossa. If you're looking for a navy grenadine, I would recommend checking out Sam Hober.
Thanks good point.
I want to get Hober eventually but I see a 20% off sitewide sale at Granqvist. Will probably snag a few there for now

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now I know that COVID isn't over, but where I live -- Washington State -- things are slowing opening up again. As we were in Seattle yesterday we decided to go out for a decent dinner.

The Pacific Northwest has always been a bit more "casual" than many other places but what we noticed last night is that the crowd qualified as downright raggedy. Yes, it was a warm day but here were were paying a hefty price for dinner and guys were in flipflops, sweaty gym shorts, and wrinkled t-shirts. We were in khaki trousers, button-up shirts, and leather loafers -- what qualifies as casual ... or used to -- and one person asked us "Why are you so dressed-up?" We just smiled. It was pretty much after being asked that we looked around and realized "Darn, we are WAY overdressed." ;) Maybe this was just a "Friday" crowd?

Are you noticing a change post-lockdown? Is this change -- assuming it is one -- here to stay? Does the New York Times need a headline "Style is Dead"? ;) Maybe it's too soon to tell.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For us, office wise, I would say 75% is same, 15% went down a notch, 10% went to 2 notch (like cargo pants with timberland)

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been out to eat a few times since our lockdown ended to some of the better restaurants in town. A couple people with jackets at dinner for weekend service. Took some clients to a steakhouse on a weeknight and button downs and jeans or trousers seemed to be the norm in the dining room.

Work the people back are definitely a step or two more casual but hard to tell if it’s the summer weather or lasting.

I’ve noticed for myself being much more casual since the schedule is more flexible for partial remote so I can throw on a polo and pants and then just toss on a pair of shorts to go golf in the afternoon or hit a baseball game as long as I don’t have anything client facing during the day but keep a few shirts, ties and a suit and jacket in my office in case something pops up. Used to be suits 90% of the time but also had client meetings most days that have mainly moved to zoom and teams or calls. I miss the entertaining clients part but damn am I glad we have gotten to the point where phone calls and emails replace most of the time wasting meetings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads