• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what people think about the walnut/light brown shoes and navy. I know some rules followers are critical? And it’s not a frequent move for e. But whenever I wear this combo I usually like it. (Note: I’m not working in downtown kingpin where apparently anything beyond black captoe oxfords are too casual)

View attachment 1605887
I still wear my AE Strand in Walnut. Saphir light brown polish darkened them a little. Not always liked here on SF but the lighter brown shoes with light blue suit still works for me as well.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I still wear my AE Strand in Walnut. Saphir light brown polish darkened them a little. Not always liked here on SF but the lighter brown shoes wih light blue suit still works for me as well.

yeah I wear them with a light blue suit.
but I actually like the way they look with more royal blue and navy blues.

I always see it criticized as “against the rules” but Ilike the way it looks. And not all of us are located in an area where rules arereally recognized (heck, im one of maybe a dozen guys who actually puts on a tie everyday within a 3 hour drive)

I think I’m going to match this combo more often. Internet fashion rules makers be damned.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what people think about the walnut/light brown shoes and navy. I know some rules followers are critical? And it’s not a frequent move for e. But whenever I wear this combo I usually like it. (Note: I’m not working in downtown kingpin where apparently anything beyond black captoe oxfords are too casual)

View attachment 1605887
I’m not categorically opposed to those colors together as long as there’s something up top to balance it out, such as a lighter-colored sport coat. It’s less a “rules” thing and more how my eyes view outfits as a whole. My brain asks
“Why are those shoes there? They don’t complement anything.” Nor are they sufficiently different to stand out as a statement, unless that statement is one of willful defiance of cohesive aesthetics.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I’m not categorically opposed to those colors together as long as there’s something up top to balance it out, such as a lighter-colored sport coat. It’s less a “rules” thing and more how my eyes view outfits as a whole. My brain asks
“Why are those shoes there? They don’t complement anything.”

navy suit but a light blue shirt and tie that sort of compliments that shade of brown.And a belt that matches the shoe.
I think with a white shirt Amd say red tie or just generally a more formal look maybe not.

today I went with this combo. (The great thing about clothes is none of this is permanent. If the combo doesn’t work, oh well, don’t do it again)

0A28B493-FA9C-4358-BA29-D7EC3AFD70A4.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I wear them with a light blue suit.
but I actually like the way they look with more royal blue and navy blues.

I always see it criticized as “against the rules” but Ilike the way it looks. And not all of us are located in an area where rules arereally recognized (heck, im one of maybe a dozen guys who actually puts on a tie everyday within a 3 hour drive)

I think I’m going to match this combo more often. Internet fashion rules makers be damned.
I always do it to violate the DC uniform. Everyone dresses so drab here I like to brighten things up.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
navy suit but a light blue shirt and tie that sort of compliments that shade of brown.And a belt that matches the shoe.
I think with a white shirt Amd say red tie or just generally a more formal look maybe not.

today I went with this combo. (The great thing about clothes is none of this is permanent. If the combo doesn’t work, oh well, don’t do it again)

View attachment 1605901
Smashing!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1605901
Try it with a lighter colored sport coat, you may like it as well.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Try it with a lighter colored sport coat, you may like it as well.

yeah, I could totally see that working.
I haven’t worn a sport coat in years. It used to be my go to move, but I don’t even have any these days.
switching gears a bit, but I think it has to do with where one lives. Like in a more urban/cooler climate, where one regularly wears attire that can be easily dressed up with a sports coat, it’s great. (When I lived in NYC I loved the blazer or sports coat)
I live in the tropics in a rural setting. If I’m not at work, I wear shorts and a golf shirt. So for me, a suit is just more comfortable and easier.

But I totally agree regarding your recommendation.

perhaps I should revisit the sports coat position. But I find the key to a wardrobe with sports coats is to have quality trousersas the foundation. I never wear dress trousers outside of wearing a suit, so that would require more than just purchasing a coat (but I guess I could use some suit pants)

thanks for the feedback.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Why are those shoes there? They don’t complement anything.” Nor are they sufficiently different to stand out as a statement, unless that statement is one of willful defiance of cohesive aesthetics.
The weird part for me is I always think tan/light brown clashes with navy when it comes to shoes and tailored clothing particularly if it’s just the shoes and a belt and doesn’t look good - they seem hardest for me to pair unless I’m wearing khaki and end up being my least worn pairs.

But I’m also conflicted because I like how a black t shirt, a dark denim and white minimalist sneakers or GATS work together even though there’s a similar contrast. Navy officer chinos a white t shirt and white sneakers as well but the white t shirt balances it out. So what’s my deal? Societal norms? Brain washing? A distinction whenever tailoring is involved? Am I just a huge hypocrite? Is my idea of more casual attire just lousy? Who knows.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Texture probably matter, navy chino is a more versatile than orphan navy dress pants for that reason?

navy suit with tan shoe just looks really off to me though I think red tone is fine if it’s dark say burgundy/oxblood

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I am not concerned about rules in this case.

I dislike a navy or royal blue suit or odd trousers paired with reddish brown derbies because it is a horribly cliche’d Office Bro look.

ha. Fair enough.

that said, I think that goes toward what I said abovewith respect to one’s location playing such a large role in these types of preferences.
By cliche office Bro, I assume you mean a younger guy who lacks humility given his experience/competency level yet “flexes” with his demeanor as if he’s hot stuff?

so it’s not so much a natural dislike for the colors or some adherence to rules, but rather not liking how it has been displayed by others that you don’t necessarily respect.

the sports coat look sort of has a similar negative implication for me. First, people on here postfantastic pictures of sports coats, and I used to like that look, so I am not anti-sports coat. if I lived in a city I would probably do the sports coat thing regularly.

the negative comes more from the guys who give no regard to how they look, figure work should be a casual environment and when they are forced to wear a tie they wear their one sports coat with the same tie and worn out sneaker looking shoes and a pair of dockers-like khakis as their way of trying to look professional.

has nothing at all with a sports coat look being bad, but rather me being in an environment where the look is abused.
similar to when the office bros are abuseing the light shoes/navy suit look in your locale.

just my random thought while sitting on the beach anyway.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha. Fair enough.

that said, I think that goes toward what I said abovewith respect to one’s location playing such a large role in these types of preferences.
By cliche office Bro, I assume you mean a younger guy who lacks humility given his experience/competency level yet “flexes” with his demeanor as if he’s hot stuff?

so it’s not so much a natural dislike for the colors or some adherence to rules, but rather not liking how it has been displayed by others that you don’t necessarily respect.

the sports coat look sort of has a similar negative implication for me. First, people on here postfantastic pictures of sports coats, and I used to like that look, so I am not anti-sports coat. if I lived in a city I would probably do the sports coat thing regularly.

the negative comes more from the guys who give no regard to how they look, figure work should be a casual environment and when they are forced to wear a tie they wear their one sports coat with the same tie and worn out sneaker looking shoes and a pair of dockers-like khakis as their way of trying to look professional.

has nothing at all with a sports coat look being bad, but rather me being in an environment where the look is abused.
similar to when the office bros are abuseing the light shoes/navy suit look in your locale.

just my random thought while sitting on the beach anyway.
There’s definitely something to experience, environment and memories impacting it. I like sport coats a lot. I hate navy blazers. I really hate navy blazers with gold buttons, mid grey trousers or khakis paired with a tie and loafers because I have flashbacks to school - There aren’t bad memories or anything it just is a really aggressive “I don’t want to wear my school uniform” reaction. It’s the reason I haven’t had a navy blazer in my closet since mine got destroyed Freshman year of college.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tan shoes really just draw attention to the shoe when you wear with navy if it’s lighter it’s more balanced. Is that necessary wrong? Don’t know but personally not my preference, for example I don’t mind loud tie, but loud shoe by itself bother me more somehow.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Tan shoes really just draw attention to the shoe when you wear with navy if it’s lighter it’s more balanced. Is that necessary wrong? Don’t know but personally not my preference, for example I don’t mind loud tie, but loud shoe by itself bother me more somehow.

I would agree with that.
It definitely draws attention. Is that wrong? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what one is going for.
in a more formal city in the evening? Probably not a good look.
In a more casual setting where just wearing a suit is not all that common, well that little lack of formality by drawing the attention to the shoes can be a good look, in my opinion. Maybe not as an every day thing, but every now and then it’s a nice mix it up approach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads