• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I posted like three times in the new watch thread, but as soon as discussions got into whether Rolex's prices are inflated, I dipped out. Even as a guy who rarely reads anything about watches, and really knows nothing about that world, that discussion already seems tired to me. "Are Rolex prices inflated?" "Look at how much steel Rolexes cost." "Are they worth it?" "Is Rolex the best?"

I don't know how people who actually follow watch discussions can engage in that discussion. I've read come across it three times and already want to launch myself into the sun.

like 75% of watch forums and YouTube videos on watches are about the Rolex issues.
is Rolex worth it?
Is X brand a better value than Rolex?
There are some good watch people out there that just focus on the products, whether it is Rolex or not, but then the comment sections always devolve into the same topic of Rolex.

and it’s not even Rolex as a whole for the most part. It’s all about the hype models (submariners with colored bezels named after comic book characters).
it’s almost like a niche trading hobby at this point, moreso than watch appreciation. And those are the benchmark for the hobby (they are steel so they don’t cost as much as precious metal alternatives, they are mass produced so availability is greater, they are recognizable, they have a large brick and mortar presence so one can view them, they have the wait lists so they seem exclusive, and they are well made)

but man, it gets boooooring. Especially for somebody who has no desire for a dive watch, to just see post after post and article after article about Batman’s and root beers and hulks and kermits and bat girls.

suttonzach

Reaction score
As Summer approaches, I once again lament the fact that Polo stopped making the 6” classic fit cotton short. Sigh, off to eBay I go...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, certainly lack the strong opinion to make it entertaining..., but we still got :foo2:, though I have seen he moved to SLP Wyatt and midtown bro lately...

edit: and peak porsche, and the watch thread I don't follow anymore or I heard the the home improvement thread, got to branch out...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is that the CM side of StyFo went completely downhill ever since Manton stopped posting.
As much as I enjoyed his book I wish Manton nothing but scorn and derision. :devil:

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is Mantin’s backstory? I don’t know anything about him.
He showed that he was a deranged right wing lunatic when he advocated to just bombing the **** out of the middle east. Then he went to go work for the Trump Admin for a short time.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is Mantin’s backstory? I don’t know anything about him.
Frequent poster who was very knowledgeable about and had a lot of experience with many bespoke makers. Had strong opinions but was also very helpful as far as CM topics go on the forum and IRL. Note: I am referring to CM. I don’t follow the CEsspool discussions.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frequent poster who was very knowledgeable about and had a lot of experience with many bespoke makers. Had strong opinions but was also very helpful as far as CM topics go on the forum and IRL. Note: I am referring to CM. I don’t follow the CEsspool discussions.
His dress has went to **** in all of his appearances post Trump work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads