• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
(I am probably overthinking this, but here goes).

I am trying to learn about ivy style. I understand that shetland sweaters are a staple for FW, but what kind of sweaters would you consider for an ivy look for colder spring/summer days?

I am currently looking at some solid crew neck sweatshirts and some crew neck summery knits in cotton/linen blends. Not sure what details/cuts to look for.

I'd worry less about a strict adherence to "Ivy" and put more emphasis on comfort and utility. By definition Ivy is an accessible "aesthetic," particularly for Americans. Pretty much every American designer or brand will have something "inspired by" or "derived from" the old, upper-crust elites (or at least their idealized versions of these people).

The guys who made Ivy "cool" did so because they wore whatever made sense. You can get caught up in the cheekiness/deliberateness of their "rebellion against upper-crust norms," but that's all pretty lame considering none of us are trying to stick it to our stuffy, overbearing fathers desperately clinging to a lopsided class structure supported by deliberate inequality. Well, at least not all of us.

Also, linen is cool for sweaters.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(I am probably overthinking this, but here goes).

I am trying to learn about ivy style. I understand that shetland sweaters are a staple for FW, but what kind of sweaters would you consider for an ivy look for colder spring/summer days?

I am currently looking at some solid crew neck sweatshirts and some crew neck summery knits in cotton/linen blends. Not sure what details/cuts to look for.

If you go to O'Connell's, J. Press, and The Andover Shop, that's basically the Ivy look. Would just stop there and see what knitwear they have that suits your needs. All three have online shops.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of Andover shop, check out what they sell these days as well (but couldn't be bothered to update the no image on bunch Alden...)

1618845405557.png

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search for cricket sweaters.

Be careful though; most cricket jumpers are 100% wool and hard as nails unless for the international market. The idea of wearing a lightweight jumper whilst fielding during a English summer is pure fantasy!

This one for example is actually vintage team issue for the England team...it's so heavy you couldn't even bear to look at it in a Italian spring/summer.

tumblr_mwz8f9jDoe1r198cjo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, a buddy is getting married and he's looking for tan/cream/off-white/beige dress pants for his groomsmen. Where's the best place to buy these in cotton, linen, or a blend of the two for under $100? Not sure where to even start looking besides J. Crew.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, a buddy is getting married and he's looking for tan/cream/off-white/beige dress pants for his groomsmen. Where's the best place to buy these in cotton, linen, or a blend of the two for under $100? Not sure where to even start looking besides J. Crew.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fabric better be amazing, I have no idea how Drakes compete these days

Genuine question here, not attempting to stir up controversy -- how does Drake's quality compare to The Armoury for tailoring? I have one Drake's sportcoat but have never handled anything from the Armoury.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no idea, but it says half canvassed for starter so there is that.

So if you ask me, I would say go to the Armoury get AMJ03/Model 3 for sports coat, if stock pattern fit you MTO would save you a bit vs. MTM so might even come out just a bit more than Drake (but I have no idea about a "similar" fabric's cost which can drive things up for sure). For starter a lot of RTW Model 3 is less than $1500 while this things is at $1450.

Also doesn't Drake's sports coat came with sleeve finished (and button hole cut)? That means at least for me I would have to shorten sleeve from the shoulder, personally don't like it, and definitely cost more.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
can't wait for the convo to cycle to someone posting about paul stuart. then another discussion about drake's. the another discussion about canali. then back to paul stuart. then drake's. then canali. then paul stua--

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the line everyone draws on when something becomes "overpriced" is fascinating. Personally, a $1500 OTR sport coat isn't offensive at all. But at the same time, I can't possibly imagine spending even $100 for a pair of jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads