• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very cool, especially that shoulder though not something I can see myself wearing or at least not very often...

and speak of RLPL this is probably old, looks pretty cool too

I'd probably wear your find over the other one. I can't imagine wearing the black one to the office, running errands, etc... Seems like a great piece to wear to the opera or formal gala.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably wear your find over the other one. I can't imagine wearing the black one to the office, running errands, etc... Seems like a great piece to wear to the opera or formal gala.

Actually now come to think about I sub conscious selecting this one probably because I got the Scye motorcoat as well (though Scye is definitely "hard" I would imagine anything RLPL is more on the buttery soft side, or most of the time)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting read in last week's Economist. Funny AOC quote:

"After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wore big gold hoops at her swearing-in ceremony to Congress in 2019, she tweeted: “Next time someone tells Bronx girls to take off their hoops, they can just say they’re dressing like a congresswoman.”

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok SF hive mind. Would like your advice on this piece here:

It’s from the Purple Label Anniversary collection, and it’s on heavy markdown.

With a black chalk stripe fabric, I’m struggling to imagine what color tie would work with it. Would I essentially be limited to white shirt/black tie combo?

Here’s a closeup (it’s black not charcoal):

09E780BA-4FDE-4907-97D9-14B841ED5720.jpeg
77F5FC15-E1B0-4FE7-8F84-EE92FA3681D9.jpeg
DA3DF895-A80D-40C5-99C0-B9EBA4CFAC46.jpeg
8B34D391-BE4E-403B-AD6D-4B0A7A5B95C3.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok SF hive mind. Would like your advice on this piece here:

It’s from the Purple Label Anniversary collection, and it’s on heavy markdown.

With a black chalk stripe fabric, I’m struggling to imagine what color tie would work with it. Would I essentially be limited to white shirt/black tie combo?

Here’s a closeup (it’s black not charcoal):

View attachment 1586289 View attachment 1586290 View attachment 1586291 View attachment 1586292

The jacket looks too short and I'm personally not into the fabric. But if you wore that, I think it can be worn with ties in burgundy, silver, or charcoal.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks too short and I'm personally not into the fabric. But if you wore that, I think it can be worn with ties in burgundy, silver, or charcoal.

Thank you. I think a burgundy grenadine would work really well.

I’m 100% sure it’s not too short in person, the entire RL line take these stupid 40L model wear 38R thing

I think you’re right. A standard 38R Gregory is about 29.5’ from BoC.

That’s a beautiful suit. If it provides a good off the rack fit and you are happy with the price, I would go for it without hesitation.

It’s a high quality piece, but I’m conflicted as I also want to save for bespoke once things open up. I’m also a sucker for capsule/heritage collections, and I really like what they did for the anniversary collection.

On a related note, the Rake has a review of the latest Purple Label collection. Although to be honest, the article doesn’t say very much:

Last edited:

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I just received that those on high are discussing ordering that we resume working in the office, possibly only four days per week, some time in May. I think that this is too aggressive by two or three months, but I don't matter. I commissioned a set of waistcoats and trousers last year in anticipation of this. I also intend to buy a new set of neckties for the first day or return. There's a sport coat that I need to take to my local tailor...

Unrelated, I will be in New York City (and Hoboken!) on Saturday, April 17th after seeing Joseph Genuardi about some new commissions. As I'm vaccinated and more places have opened wider, perhaps unwisely, relative to most of the last few times that I visited, so my return train is later than it was the last few times, meaning that I have a few hours to make something of in New York City in a week and two days. I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody

In terms of high-quality bespoke,who is the most affordable option in NYC? Sartorio Gallo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics