• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I have signets from two grandfathers, though only wear one. Lapel pins. Silver studs. Cufflinks. Valuable buttons.

I think most guys here fall more into he watches, wedding ring, links camp though. Would be glad to be wrong.
My grandma asked me if I wanted a thin gold chain for my 16th birthday. She was serious.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, ok the temptation to go Black Blundstones is rising even more then, because I don't have a black-centric wardrobe to justify a higher end black boot, but open to suggestions.

I've thought about black side zip chelseas, but I wonder if that looks too precious in leather combined with jeans. Black suede side zips would work, but seem rare.

I think the difference between these choices rests on what kind of aesthetic you're creating.

I don't know how to describe the look I associate with Blundstones and black jeans. But I suppose I would say that it feels like the sort of person who shops at Mohawk General Store, 180 the Store, and Frances May. Feels a big more bohemian, shabby chic. The bulbous silhouette makes the outfit look friendly and approachable.

Black military boots are very rugged and swing the aesthetic towards workwear.

Black side zips feel sleek and contemporary.

Chelseas feel more classic and CM-ish.

Feels like this depends on what other things you plan to wear with the outfit, and what kind of look you're trying to create.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys get wedding rings and watches. Maybe a school ring for military academy types in uniform but that’s it. :bigstar:
I won a prestigious, and extremely rare "Style Forum Approved" award bracelet that I'm extremely proud of...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandma asked me if I wanted a thin gold chain for my 16th birthday. She was serious.

Lol, what was your response? I never had the heart to tell my grandma I didn't care for the things she may have liked.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the difference between these choices rests on what kind of aesthetic you're creating.

I don't know how to describe the look I associate with Blundstones and black jeans. But I suppose I would say that it feels like the sort of person who shops at Mohawk General Store, 180 the Store, and Frances May. Feels a big more bohemian, shabby chic. The bulbous silhouette makes the outfit look friendly and approachable.

Black military boots are very rugged and swing the aesthetic towards workwear.

Black side zips feel sleek and contemporary.

Chelseas feel more classic and CM-ish.

Feels like this depends on what other things you plan to wear with the outfit, and what kind of look you're trying to create.
Yeah this is the type of answer I was looking for, thanks. I'll have to think on this one.

Black Blundstones I think have 0 connotations in Canada, for better or for worse. Maybe comfy and practical, and nothing beyond that.

In that sense, they seem more versatile and non-descript.

Not sure why I thought these were very cheap, price point seems comparable to the low end blake suede shoes I've bought.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah this is the type of answer I was looking for, thanks. I'll have to think on this one.

Black Blundstones I think have 0 connotations in Canada, for better or for worse. Maybe comfy and practical, and nothing beyond that.

In that sense, they seem more versatile and non-descript.

Not sure why I thought these were cheap, price point seems comparable to the low end blake suede shoes I've bought.

Aaron L. wears Blundstones and I love his style. He mixes CM brands with casual things, like Armani, Drake's, RL, etc. These outfits would feel very different to me with black side zips, to give an example.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, what was your response? I never had the heart to tell my grandma I didn't care for the things she may have liked.
Oh I was direct and let her know I'd probably never wear it. Now I can't remember if I was 18 or 16, because I recall telling her I already wear a shiny metal wrist watch. I still love and wear that watch. A quartz Seiko with a sapphire crystal glass thing. I remember hitting it against concrete on accident and it didn't even scratch.

She wasn't offended, both my grandmas helped raise me so they're no strangers to my antics.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaron L. wears Blundstones and I love his style. He mixes CM brands with casual things, like Armani, Drake's, RL, etc. These outfits would feel very different to me with black side zips, to give an example.

Hmm, interesting. I think I like the shoes as part of a whole look, even though I think the shoes by themselves are ugly.

Though they're one of few brands available locally and available for fitting. A local shoe shop here emphasizes fit and comfort, and they're the ones that carry it. They've helped me for walking shoes for my arch pain, so I'm likely to go back.

I'm tired of exchanging billions of pairs of GYW shoes online to try and make them work.

Alright, I guess I'm a convert to Blundstones.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I think I like the shoes as part of a whole look, even though I think the shoes by themselves are ugly.

Though they're one of few brands available locally and available for fitting. A local shoe shop here emphasizes fit and comfort, and they're the ones that carry it. They've helped me for walking shoes for my arch pain, so I'm likely to go back.

I'm tired of exchanging billions of pairs of GYW shoes online to try and make them work.

Alright, I guess I'm a convert to Blundstones.
:bigstar:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Herring in the UK for my past few menswear shoe purchases and don't venture outside of them anymore. The returns are easier than any other shop I've used.

I basically only focus on how something looks, and how comfortable it is. I stopped caring about quality as much.

They do carry C&J as well.

@dieworkwear I don't think the jeans work at all in that outfit, but the overall fit I like on the white pants+Blundstones.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Blundstone...for when you want to spend $200 on boots to match your expensive outfit that telegraphs to everyone what a poor bohemian you are."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Blundstone...for when you want to spend $200 on boots to match your expensive outfit that telegraphs to everyone what a poor bohemian you are."

Is the objection that they're not expensive, or that they look shabby/ don't conform to a traditional rich aesthetic?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The objection is that they are expensive (for normal people) but are trying to telegraph breezy, affordable, casual.

Also, and I think we had this convo before, i think they are ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads