• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know why menswear stores do this? Even very well respected menswear-y ones often do this (cough, cough, The Armoury).

This is true. I guess they put shorter jackets on the models to show trouser details?

no idea honestly, feels like it was a trend for a while..., Paul Stuart use to be pretty good at "proper length in terms of photo", though they have jump on that ship as well...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the cut and fabric of this specific suit but I really don't like the look of this. I think having buttons above and below the buttoning point makes the jacket look more balanced.

4x1 plays to your height advantage. I prefer the 6x2 DB to have a lower buttoning point to elongate the lapels. I'm not sure what Ezra's mtm pattern is capable of doing for a double breasted suit.

1611781593893.png

1611784006542.png

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the cut and fabric of this specific suit but I really don't like the look of this. I think having buttons above and below the buttoning point makes the jacket look more balanced.

The other details make it look more casual.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well here is foo, not sure if the bottom is 4 x 1, but I think it looks good than the one above

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've decided that to celebrate what will hopefully be a return to normalcy this year, I want to have my first double breasted suit made. I work in a formal, suit-every-day environment (rather, I will once again whenever WFH ends). This will likely be my only DB suit so I want something classic that doesn't stand out too much. Anyone have any suggestions for fabrics, patterns, styling tips, etc?
Dark Navy. DBs are unusual enough that you don't want to make them any more unusual than they have to be. I also think a dark navy DB is great for things like weddings and other events when you don't want to look too business-like.

Second (third? fourth?) for navy.

I like 6x2 button configuration, personally.

Maybe it's just the awful shirt and tie styling here but this looks really dated. I was considering whether pinstripes/chalkstripes would be a good look for me. Like this guy:
View attachment 1544063
But this guy would probably look really cool in basically anything. I'm not this guy.

Yeah, Douglas looks pretty good in just about everything.

I don’t think if you are going to have one DB suit in your wardrobe that chalkstripe is the way to go.

Does anyone know why menswear stores do this? Even very well respected menswear-y ones often do this (cough, cough, The Armoury).

I feel like the gents at The Armoury, in general, are proponents of classic proportions. I haven’t seen anything that looks short to me in any promo material, or lookbooks, I might have missed what you are referring to though.

Here’s the Kingsman look:
View attachment 1544064

The Kingsman look is great (IMO) 6x2 buttoning, flap pockets, correct length.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've decided that to celebrate what will hopefully be a return to normalcy this year, I want to have my first double breasted suit made. I work in a formal, suit-every-day environment (rather, I will once again whenever WFH ends). This will likely be my only DB suit so I want something classic that doesn't stand out too much. Anyone have any suggestions for fabrics, patterns, styling tips, etc?
Dark Navy. DBs are unusual enough that you don't want to make them any more unusual than they have to be. I also think a dark navy DB is great for things like weddings and other events when you don't want to look too business-like.

Maybe it's just the awful shirt and tie styling here but this looks really dated. I was considering whether pinstripes/chalkstripes would be a good look for me. Like this guy:
View attachment 1544063
But this guy would probably look really cool in basically anything. I'm not this guy.

I don’t think if you are going to have one DB suit in your wardrobe that chalkstripe is the way to go.

I feel like the gents at The Armoury, in general, are proponents of classic proportions. I haven’t seen anything that looks short to me in any promo material, or lookbooks, I might have missed what you are referring to though.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that on the computer screen it looks visually striking (in person it would look silly). Makes the viewer think "wow I would look really tall in this suit."

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

The Kingsman look is great (IMO) 6x2 buttoning, flap pockets, correct length.

Not in their lookbooks, but in their product shots.
1611786549365.png

It's perplexing, because everyone at the Armoury definitely knows how things should fit. I've also seen this problem with Anglo-Italian in the past, Drake's, and others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads