• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've decided that to celebrate what will hopefully be a return to normalcy this year, I want to have my first double breasted suit made. I work in a formal, suit-every-day environment (rather, I will once again whenever WFH ends). This will likely be my only DB suit so I want something classic that doesn't stand out too much. Anyone have any suggestions for fabrics, patterns, styling tips, etc?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
So I've decided that to celebrate what will hopefully be a return to normalcy this year, I want to have my first double breasted suit made. I work in a formal, suit-every-day environment (rather, I will once again whenever WFH ends). This will likely be my only DB suit so I want something classic that doesn't stand out too much. Anyone have any suggestions for fabrics, patterns, styling tips, etc?

Dark Navy. DBs are unusual enough that you don't want to make them any more unusual than they have to be. I also think a dark navy DB is great for things like weddings and other events when you don't want to look too business-like.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't formal attire, definitely to the casual side. Aero Leathers is along the right lines but I'm nearly positive it was a different shop. The name had some sort of rhyme or alliterations.

This is the right era but I am nearly positive they were a US based outfit.

I think, but am not positive, one of the words in the name ended in "er"
Not sure which one you're referring to but Kai D has that vintage vibe and he has most of his collection made in the US (a lot in NYC actually, IIRC)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think any standard suit fabric would work for that. Lesser's Lumbs Golden Bale has some nice 11oz fabrics that I think are good. Personally like 6 x 2 DBs better than 4 x 1. If you have it cut for you, you can ask the DB to roll to the bottom-most button so you have options on how to button it.

I have a navy DB suit and a navy DB sport coat. The DB sport coat is made from a much heavier fabric. Both coats have flapped pockets, but I wish I got jetted pockets on the sport coat, as tucking the flaps creates bulk.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think any standard suit fabric would work for that. Lesser's Lumbs Golden Bale has some nice 11oz fabrics that I think are good. Personally like 6 x 2 DBs better than 4 x 1. If you have it cut for you, you can ask the DB to roll to the bottom-most button so you have options on how to button it.

I have a navy DB suit and a navy DB sport coat. The DB sport coat is made from a much heavier fabric. Both coats have flapped pockets, but I wish I got jetted pockets on the sport coat, as tucking the flaps creates bulk.
On the subject of buttoning options, is there something that works best for short and slim people? My hunch would be that buttoning at the lowest button would look odd at my height (5'6") but I don't know.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the subject of buttoning options, is there something that works best for short and slim people? My hunch would be that buttoning at the lowest button would look odd at my height (5'6") but I don't know.

I think either buttoning position can work, regardless of height. But buttoning to the bottom button does help the jacket look slightly more casual.

If you get a DB cut so it rolls to the bottom-most button, you can button it either way and just try it out. If you don't like buttoning it at the bottom, you can still button it in the middle.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only DB suit is a RLPL in Navy. Fabric is very light three season weight but I can wear it all year for the most part. It’s a traditional 6x2 and I feel like I can pull it off at work without being too showy (stuffy govt office). Can even pull off a puffy white pocket square.

Agree on avoiding the 4x1 but disagree on flapped pockets. Never liked jetted pockets (just a personal thing) and only have them on my tux. My DB suit has a flapped ticket pocket as well which admittedly might not be desireable for everyone.

You can likely pull off a great slim fit. Canali makes some nice DBs although they might be hard to find around here.

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I like jetted pockets on DBs. Flapped pockets just don't look right on a DB IMO. They also aren't what you want if you are concerned about how the jacket flatters your height.

A 6x2 with slightly higher buttoning is flattering height-wise.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like jetted pockets on DBs. Flapped pockets just don't look right on a DB IMO. They also aren't what you want if you are concerned about how the jacket flatters your height.

A 6x2 with slightly higher buttoning is flattering height-wise.
Yeah I think I like the idea of jetted pockets on a 6x2? Takes some of the bulkiness out from the hip area (which, for me, is a little on the wider side).

My only DB suit is a RLPL in Navy. Fabric is very light three season weight but I can wear it all year for the most part. It’s a traditional 6x2 and I feel like I can pull it off at work without being too showy (stuffy govt office). Can even pull off a puffy white pocket square.

You can likely pull off a great slim fit. Canali makes some nice DBs although they might be hard to find around here.
Alright that's 2 votes for solid navy. Ezra's got my sizing down pretty well so I'll be going MTM for this one.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s Canali from Nordstrom’s. I think the flapped pockets work fine but obviously a personal choice. Does Ezra have an examples in his store? Might be worth trying his cut on first.

1611776308032.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so I'm short (5'7"), I think 4 x 1 will look better than 6 x 2 on me...

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s Canali from Nordstrom’s. I think the flapped pockets work fine but obviously a personal choice. Does Ezra have an examples in his store? Might be worth trying his cut on first.

View attachment 1544057
Maybe it's just the awful shirt and tie styling here but this looks really dated. I was considering whether pinstripes/chalkstripes would be a good look for me. Like this guy:
7E86164A-7425-46BD-AF60-9E5E80E87215.jpeg
But this guy would probably look really cool in basically anything. I'm not this guy.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

View attachment 1544057

That's horrendous. In all seriousness, is it that the flap pockets look good, or is it that you don't notice them so they don't look bad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads