• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offshore Savile Row these days = fashion licensing in the 80s? Everyone is now doing it to put bread on the table?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Offshore Savile Row these days = fashion licensing in the 80s? Everyone is now doing it to put bread on the table?

yea, but fashion licensing in the 80s turn out bunch "bad looking stuff", doesn't look like the case here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean I have not tried it to say either way, but if you ask me, a MtM service with fixed size try on jacket is a good place to start to get fit right.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, but fashion licensing in the 80s turn out bunch "bad looking stuff", doesn't look like the case here.
hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, people thought they were the coolest with their Pierre Cardin cut sleeve sweatshirts

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how far they go down the road, but as of right now this does not look like to be the case. By the way whatever happen to Kilgour Shanghai bespoke like more than 15 years ago now? I remember they were turning out good products too

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to come right out and say that it's ridiculous. It's just machine-made MTM, so why pay $4000+ for that?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2500/1.2=2083 gbp ex vat, which is 2850 usd? Given where today’s RTW pricing does not sound crazy to me. I mean what’s RTW price for canals/Corneliani which is all machine made?

also it seems other than chest is machine padded nearly all other work is the same, per his quote

The other significant difference is that the chest is machine padded, rather than hand padded. (Nearly all other work is the same.)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also I would say if it’s a style choice you can’t get otherwise then it definitely is worth something

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2500/1.2=2083 gbp ex vat, which is 2850 usd? Given where today’s RTW pricing does not sound crazy to me. I mean what’s RTW price for canals/Corneliani which is all machine made?

also it seems other than chest is machine padded nearly all other work is the same, per his quote

The other significant difference is that the chest is machine padded, rather than hand padded. (Nearly all other work is the same.)

That portion of the article is extremely ambiguous then, since it sounds as if the 'other parts of the suit' are also done by machine.

Anyway, you'd have to add vat to the full price, which is $3400 USD; I'm Canadian, so it's closer to 4000. To me it seems steep for China production, which ostensibly is done in order to reduce costs, and I'm not sure why they're calling it bespoke.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys in Canada pays VAT and import duty? Like they can't ship to you ex-VAT?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys in Canada pays VAT and import duty? Like they can't ship to you ex-VAT?

They can, but many retailers add it in anyway since they end up paying VAT themselves. I've never ordered MTM suits this way, so I don't know if it would apply. Even then, it's $3600 CAD.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yea I wouldn't call it bespoke.

I guess pricing for you just won't work out, at just under $3k I can see it might just work

I think Paul Stuart's Custom Lab (also MtM made in China) starts from $1k and goes up to $2k for 2 piece
Prologue based of HK (also MtM made in China) starts from $1k?

so $1k premium for "style choice" sounds just about at the line

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads