• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, natural fiber socks. So breathable. So comfortable. Can’t believe people punish themselves with synthetic blend socks. Why do that to yourself??

All over-the-calf socks are synthetic blends because, without the synthetic, the fibers wouldn't return to their shape. They'd just fall down your leg.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
undwrshirts and briefs go in the dryer. I only hang socks and shirts. 4 shirts and 4 pairs of socks a week. Iron the 4 shirts.
Really not a big deal
I mean I get it, just not for me in terms of principle.

Hang drying socks aren't happening for me.
As any true gentlemen should...

Well that escalated, who said anyting about hang drying underwear?
Nobody did, but it came to mind. Socks and underwear are both underlayers that I lump together and chuck in the dryer.

Speaking of, I was looking to try linen underwear vs. cotton, but I never could find a pair.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting my socks are of good quality. I am saying they are plenty comfortable and I have no desire or need to wear anything different. I wear Hanes cotton undershirts too, so I'm sure I'm "wrong" about that as well, huh?

oh heck yeah you are wrong with the Hanes! Gross. At least go CalvinKlein if you are shopping on a budget. The hanes are so bad. I bought a pack not too long ago when I was in a jam. So bad. They make good shoe shine rags though so not all is lost.

look, we all have different goals here, and I’m not trying to push something on you that you don’t want. It is what it is. But you posed the question, I provided the answer. If at some point you are in the market to reload your sock collection, well maybe you go this route or maybe you don’t. Doesn’t matter to me. This is all just a fun discussion that isn’t mean to get too personal or be insulting one way or the other.

that said, you did ask. And whe. You consider it big picture, the cost is negligible. And the comfort is a huge difference. It just is. Like I said, I used to be like you. 20 pair of black and 20 pair of navy socks, all Macy’s purchases for like $20-30 for a 3 pack, wash in bulk and toss in a dryer and then sort afterwards and want to be done as quickly as possible.

I am glad I don’t do it like that anymore.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
All over-the-calf socks are synthetic blends because, without the synthetic, the fibers wouldn't return to their shape. They'd just fall down your leg.

not my understanding of the situation. The socks are all natural fiber, except for the gambaletto which has a little bit of synthetic to help hold them up.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not my understanding of the situation. The socks are all natural fiber, except for the gambaletto which has a little bit of synthetic to help hold them up.

I guarantee you that your over-the-calf socks have a bit of synthetic to them. Even if they're not labeled as such.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh heck yeah you are wrong with the Hanes! Gross. At least go CalvinKlein if you are shopping on a budget. The hanes are so bad. I bought a pack not too long ago when I was in a jam. So bad. They make good shoe shine rags though so not all is lost.

look, we all have different goals here, and I’m not trying to push something on you that you don’t want. It is what it is. But you posed the question, I provided the answer. If at some point you are in the market to reload your sock collection, well maybe you go this route or maybe you don’t. Doesn’t matter to me. This is all just a fun discussion that isn’t mean to get too personal or be insulting one way or the other.

that said, you did ask. And whe. You consider it big picture, the cost is negligible. And the comfort is a huge difference. It just is. Like I said, I used to be like you. 20 pair of black and 20 pair of navy socks, all Macy’s purchases for like $20-30 for a 3 pack, wash in bulk and toss in a dryer and then sort afterwards and want to be done as quickly as possible.

I am glad I don’t do it like that anymore.

I didn't actually ask any questions about socks. I just responded to one suggestion and made a comment about not being able to dry them.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I guarantee you that your over-the-calf socks have a bit of synthetic to them. Even if they're not labeled as such.
The gambeletto is the portion with the synthetic material.
The sovereign grade socks are all natural fiber (except for the gambeletto), knitted on a 260 need machine using only the finest Egyptian Makó Cotton.

come on man, get woke.
(please note some of this is being said tongue in cheek, but that’s how Kirby has described theproduction of his socks and if you watch the videos he discusses the lack of synthetic fibers except for the gambeletto)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The gambeletto is the portion with the synthetic material.
The sovereign grade socks are all natural fiber (except for the gambeletto), knitted on a 260 need machine using only the finest Egyptian Makó Cotton.

come on man, get woke.
(please note some of this is being said tongue in cheek, but that’s how Kirby has described theproduction of his socks and if you watch the videos he discusses the lack of synthetic fibers except for the gambeletto)

There has been a long history here of people believing their clothes are made from natural fibers when, in fact, they are not. There was the famous Simonnot Godard chambray debacle. Will at ASW once wrote about another shirting that was "naturally wrinkle free." It was, in fact, a synthetic blend. There's a very esteemed knitwear maker that's often discussed on here. I interviewed the head of their company once about one of their more famous sweater styles. Although it's labeled as a pure natural fiber, it was in fact a synthetic blend.

There's an artist who, last year, had an exhibition at a Chicago museum. She took sample swatches from something like 100 "natural fiber" garments and had the fibers examined in a lab. I can't remember the percentage that came back as a synthetic blend, but it was shockingly high.

Think about it: how would an over-the-calf sock stay up your leg if it was made without synthetic? Cotton doesn't have a crimp. Wool fibers do, but can't be stretched and returned to that degree. Just because something is labeled as a natural fiber item does not make it so.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
There has been a long history here of people believing their clothes are made from natural fibers when, in fact, they are not. There was the famous Simonnot Godard chambray debacle. Will at ASW once wrote about another shirting that was "naturally wrinkle free." It was, in fact, a synthetic blend. There's a very esteemed knitwear maker that's often discussed on here. I interviewed the head of their company once about one of their more famous sweater styles. Although it's labeled as a pure natural fiber, it was in fact a synthetic blend.

There's an artist who, last year, had an exhibition at a Chicago museum. She took sample swatches from something like 100 "natural fiber" garments and had the fibers examined in a lab. I can't remember the percentage that came back as a synthetic blend, but it was shockingly high.

Think about it: how would an over-the-calf sock stay up your leg if it was made without synthetic? Cotton doesn't have a crimp. Wool fibers do, but can't be stretched and returned to that degree. Just because something is labeled as a natural fiber item does not make it so.

I’m not sure what you are missing? I have said at least 3 times now: the gambeletto contains a small amount of synthetic fiber to hold them up. The base of the sock is natural fiber.
Here is a video on the topic:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m not sure what you are missing? I have said at least 3 times now: the gambeletto contains a small amount of synthetic fiber to hold them up. The base of the sock is natural fiber.
Here is a video on the topic:

If Kirby claims the base of the sock (the part of the sock that's not just the upper rib, what he calls gambeletto) doesn't contain any synthetic, then I think he is wrong. I also disagree with him about the twisted last thing.

Of course, there's only one way to know this for sure.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
If Kirby claims the base of the sock (the part of the sock that's not just the upper rib, what he calls gambeletto) doesn't contain any synthetic, then I think he is wrong. I also disagree with him about the twisted last thing.

Of course, there's only one way to know this for sure.

well we can agree to disagree. Good talk.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a very easy way to settle this debate.

Natural fibers derived from plants and animals fully decompose in the body. Synthetic fibers do not. This is why there's a raging debate about how synthetic fibers are winding up in the ocean, as they're being eaten by fish, which are then consumed by us.

Eat your Sovereign Grade sock and then see if remanents of it show up in your poop. For obvious reasons, I recommend eating a sock in a bright color, such as pink, rather than brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads