• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The key here is: explicit consent, or at least transparency in who knows what about you and what they're doing with that information.

Smitty: "Wifey and I were just at Paul Stuart at 5:30pm today. Wife bought an umbrella and I purchased this ochre colored scarf." *posts picture*

FBI:

giphy.gif

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smitty: "Wifey and I were just at Paul Stuart at 5:30pm today. Wife bought an umbrella and I purchased this ochre colored scarf." *posts picture*

FBI:

View attachment 1510289
ok just read this and tell me that the location data, collected anonymously without consent by apps people have on their phones for other purposes (like weather apps, gas price apps, etc.) isn't a serious concern.
and we can move on to a new topic

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FBI:
As a former Army guy and current govt dude I am used to absolutely zero privacy. I have been background investigated since 1984, drug tested, DNA typed, you name it. All my personal data from when I was on active duty was blown in the Chinese hack of OPM (the "OPM Breach" as it is known) a few years ago.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I'll take whatever Covid-19 vaccine is approved as standing in line with sleeves rolled up to get suspect liquid shot into me is definitely nothing new. :-D

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Algorithms manipulating human behavior for increased consumption is fucked up ****, whether the result tangible to us or not. It's the realm of corporate interest, not human interest. They are not out to help us, they are out to make money off of us. The applied use of our behavior statistics may be innocuous enough at present, but it's a step down a slippery slope. I think that mass indifference to this issue will inevitably facilitate further corporate encroachment.

Calanon

Reaction score
I had an argument today on FB with someone who didn't believe midnight blue was valid for a dinner jacket and that is was a new, trendy colour

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what about writing an opinion piece that resonate with you? the guy might not even believe it himself, he could be targeting you just the "old fashion human way"

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an argument today on FB with someone who didn't believe midnight blue was valid for a dinner jacket and that is was a new, trendy colour

Possibly he was confusing midnight blue with some other shade of dark blue. Real midnight blue might as well be black - it's almost imperceptible.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Algorithms manipulating human behavior for increased consumption is fucked up ****, whether the result tangible to us or not. It's the realm of corporate interest, not human interest. They are not out to help us, they are out to make money off of us. The applied use of our behavior statistics may be innocuous enough at present, but it's a step down a slippery slope. I think that mass indifference to this issue will inevitably facilitate further corporate encroachment.
every iPhone and equivalent, every browser, have the functionality to block tracking, cookies, etc... to browse incognito to turn off automatic wifi discovery. It’s just there, in the settings. Yet most people prefer the convenience of browsing while cookied (BWC).

it reminds me of how people complain about how much commercial email they get yet (a) except for some rare exceptions, they subscribed to all of them, and (b)it takes one tap or click to unsubscribe. Yet unsubscribe rate are minuscule.
this tells me that things are a lot less black and white than a simplistic pro or against privacy. Many of us actually value some of the targeting, not to mention the incredible convenience of BWC - or we develop some FOMO of unsubscribing to emails (what if a great deal or content comes through). We adapt our life to this balance of give and take, and we develop consciousness of the limitations of (that part of our) privacy.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not naive enough to assume that we can keep everything about us perfectly private these days. Location, DNA, tracking, all are very easily found.

I'm not actually bothered even by targeted advertising. What I hate is to be annoyed. Track my shopping all you want, but if you try a sales push on the basis of my former habits, I'm far more likely to buy something completely different just to spite you.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if you do that often enough, that will become predicted behavior too ?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every iPhone and equivalent, every browser, have the functionality to block tracking, cookies, etc... to browse incognito to turn off automatic wifi discovery. It’s just there, in the settings. Yet most people prefer the convenience of browsing while cookied (BWC).

it reminds me of how people complain about how much commercial email they get yet (a) except for some rare exceptions, they subscribed to all of them, and (b)it takes one tap or click to unsubscribe. Yet unsubscribe rate are minuscule.
this tells me that things are a lot less black and white than a simplistic pro or against privacy. Many of us actually value some of the targeting, not to mention the incredible convenience of BWC - or we develop some FOMO of unsubscribing to emails (what if a great deal or content comes through). We adapt our life to this balance of give and take, and we develop consciousness of the limitations of (that part of our) privacy.
Yes, good point-- there are shades, for sure, and many of which don't bother me much. But I don't think it's as easy as you suggest to back out of all this stuff. At least not without making privacy a personal hobby. I try, and I still find myself snared in the net on a regular basis. I feel like life increasingly requires that we expose ourselves in order to participate, and any workarounds require exhausting vigilance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads