• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m almost scared to ask: what’s the new brown?

custom-799e3911-45b3-4a11-b411-2d33a04aa7d6-320x180.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a pair of Sutor Matellasi Norwegian in olive. Couldn't get them to work with anything so they became my rain/bad weather shoe.
I would get the green suede if the color was right but wouldn't expect them to be as versatile as browns but would wear them selectively

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
The easiest way to get a nice shade of green suede shoes is to buy black suede shoes.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been checking out Japanese JPress lately (https://jpress-and-sons.com/) and really liking it (found it via www.nittygrittystore.com.). The styling is great.

However, I note that they use a lot of serge cloth, but it is often full of polyester, often more than 50%. Is there a good reason for this?

Attachments

• 3EE00EED-C0DE-4C40-99E6-AE79AAE9EECC.png
    3EE00EED-C0DE-4C40-99E6-AE79AAE9EECC.png
    291.4 KB · Views: 153

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been checking out Japanese JPress lately (https://jpress-and-sons.com/) and really liking it (found it via www.nittygrittystore.com.). The styling is great.

I think that's a sort of fashion off-shoot of J.Press, probably aimed at younger people.

The regular Japanese J.Press site is: https://www.jpress.jp/

All of the usual J.Press suits and blazers are made from wool, not blends.

As an aside - and you might know this already - J.Press is owned by a Japanese company, Onward Kashiyama, which bought J.Press a few decades ago. It's more popular in Japan than it is in the US.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's a sort of fashion off-shoot of J.Press, probably aimed at younger people.

The regular Japanese J.Press site is: https://www.jpress.jp/

All of the usual J.Press suits and blazers are made from wool, not blends.

As an aside - and you might know this already - J.Press is owned by a Japanese company, Onward Kashiyama, which bought J.Press a few decades ago. It's more popular in Japan than it is in the US.

No, all new to me. Loving the JPress for young people though, despite the fact that I am very very middle aged.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't remember much about Michael Bastian, does he just look very RL?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
He was originally partnered with Cucinelli, doing an "Americana made in Italy" thing back when that was the top of the pyramid. The knitwear was good (obviously), as was the tailored stuff (d'Avenza) for its time (read: slim and shrunken). Everything was wildly overpriced, which led him away from Cucinelli (he wanted to get more accessible). That led to a brief partnership with Gant, eventually settling in No Man's Land and selling his brand/name to a bargain basement PE group. Tale as old as time.

For a moment he was the darling of rich guys trying to be trendy, so if he can recapture any of that magic he may be good for Brooks. He has the CFDA pedigree and the upper-market experience, so it'll be interesting to see the direction he heads. It's pretty much a blank slate at this point.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bastian also did a few collabs with Uniqlo - I think just polo shirts and t-shirts.

There was one shirt that had a pretty cool print of little maneki-neko (lucky, beckoning cats) all over it, and a few polo shirts with contrasting-colour collars or pockets.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice video from Mark about cotton suits. I just received a taupe cotton suit (similar to the color Mark calls "mushroom"). Wore it the other day and really enjoyed it. I think I might get another one down the road.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice video from Mark about cotton suits. I just received a taupe cotton suit (similar to the color Mark calls "mushroom"). Wore it the other day and really enjoyed it. I think I might get another one down the road.

Yes, I adore this color, which might be called a brownish taupe, or a grayish cold mid brown. I described to a tailor once as an espresso with a few drops of milk. I use if for suits, trousers, knitwear, scarves etc. It pairs wonderfully with many colors (beige, stone, navy, white i.e. the basics) and feels urban and elegant yet informal.

The perfect casual suit material still eludes me, however, as i simply don't like cotton jackets very much, for the reasons noted by Mark. What material are you using?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads