• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to the mid-19th century, all clothing was made "bespoke" either by a tailor or in the home. The only "ready-to-wear" clothing was workwear made for sailors, miners, and slaves. Ready-to-wear manufacturing was really pioneered in the United States by companies such as Brooks Brothers. But even in the early days of Brooks' history, they had custom tailors just make a ton of clothes in stock sizes.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, British military dress uniforms came from Gieves and Hawkes (separate entities before their merger). Gieves tailored dress uniforms for the Navy; Hawkes for the Army.

For fit issues such as the collar gap, I suppose the "rule" comes from precise tailoring. For fit issues such as the proportion of the suit (e.g. the length of a jacket), I think the "rule" comes from generations of British upper-class tradition. Many of our suit traditions just come from British upper-class norms.

So then would you say that even with MTM being the norm, men weren't as observant/obsessive over the minutia of fit?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So then would you say that even with MTM being the norm, men weren't as observant/obsessive over the minutia of fit?

For any historical period, I think most people -- men and women -- didn't care about their clothes in the way that we do. But I also think the standards for the making and wearing of tailored clothing have mostly declined.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
more rtw 4x1 DB, no idea about the fit though, feels DB can’t be “loose”, especially if lapel is wide

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good looking Balmacaan from Sandro.

9E2425B2-C0C8-48DA-9B1D-3B5DC593B2A7.jpeg

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had me up until the part about white men must lead the way...I for one prefer to STEAL genius reinterpretations of the Ivy-Style form other cultures, like a REAL WHITE PERSON1111. While Van Jacket & Co. has long gone the way of the dodo, there's plenty of great little niche shops throughout nihon that are turning out some serious high-quality stuff, which is better than the old stuff, because that **** was for people with overly broad builds, and let's face it, the construction was shite,

I MEAN WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE ON OTHER FORUMS, RITE/// WHY ARE WE SF'ERS THE ONLY NORMIES IN THIS SPACE//////

1602830608944.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catching up on The Rake. Just finished the issue with Lewis Hamilton, the Formula One driver, on the cover. I’m beginning to change my opinion on this mag. Not sure if it’s my Covid-boredom but this mag seems a bit more interesting than it used to be and with better writing. Good for them!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bit of a weird question, but does anyone happen to have good style inspiration photos of men wearing the Shaker stitch? Shaker sweaters are made with as a specific kind of stitch like this (this is a women's sweater, but it gives you an idea of what I mean)

502426_0_46.jpeg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, those were really popular in the Northeast in the 90s. In cotton they are super comfortable, bag easily, and have great slouch. But I haven’t seen them in a long time. Maybe reach out to oxfordclothbuttondown on IG? Almost positive he has more experience with these than I do.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

aj805

Reaction score
As temps drop, has anyone made plans for cold-weather masks?

Perhaps made of cable-knit or Donegal?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
would just put whatever you use to put over the mask I would say

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads