• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps surprising no one, I would absolutely wear everything in this picture:

4F4BAB22-C961-4624-B5D5-891D2E6483A0.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would do the whole outfit, except that big pocket in the front of the pants (like I would want to remove the pocket, the fit/texture itself are all fine)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little Steam Punk and would look great on ... umm ... anyone but me. The Chelsea boots are short as well. :blush: Maybe if I had a Sopwith Camel and a grudge with the Red Baron?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little Steam Punk and would look great on ... umm ... anyone but me. The Chelsea boots are short as well. :blush: Maybe if I had a Sopwith Camel and a grudge with the Red Baron?

You'd lose that one if that coat isn't real fur. :tongue:

I'd wear all of this, including the colours, but I'd like the trousers to be sleeker - more like this:

8N51Bio.jpg

(which I'm guessing is the source of some of their inspiration)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I actually prefer short chelsea, no "caught in the back of pants" issue

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'd lose that one if that coat isn't real fur. :tongue:

I'd wear all of this, including the colours, but I'd like the trousers to be sleeker - more like this:

View attachment 1467758

(which I'm guessing is the source of some of their inspiration)

I see this as less coherent though, it's suit as suit, coat as coat, then put the coat over

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this as less coherent though, it's suit as suit, coat as coat, then put the coat over

Well, not necessarily that particular picture, but the lighting, colour palette, and turtleneck + coat strongly remind me of these collections anyway.

Personally, I'm not inclined to wear anything with fake fur. Either the real thing, or just give me wool.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would imagine going back to the old days, officer stuff were "bespoke"

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine going back to the old days, officer stuff were "bespoke"
Exactly. I think some Brit Regiments still require the officers to provide their own uniforms.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Prior to the mid-19th century, all clothing was made "bespoke" either by a tailor or in the home. The only "ready-to-wear" clothing was workwear made for sailors, miners, and slaves. Ready-to-wear manufacturing was really pioneered in the United States by companies such as Brooks Brothers. But even in the early days of Brooks' history, they had custom tailors just make a ton of clothes in stock sizes.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, British military dress uniforms came from Gieves and Hawkes (separate entities before their merger). Gieves tailored dress uniforms for the Navy; Hawkes for the Army.

For fit issues such as the collar gap, I suppose the "rule" comes from precise tailoring. For fit issues such as the proportion of the suit (e.g. the length of a jacket), I think the "rule" comes from generations of British upper-class tradition. Many of our suit traditions just come from British upper-class norms.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prior to the mid-19th century, all clothing was made "bespoke" either by a tailor or in the home. The only "ready-to-wear" clothing was workwear made for sailors, miners, and slaves. Ready-to-wear manufacturing was really pioneered in the United States by companies such as Brooks Brothers. But even in the early days of Brooks' history, they had custom tailors just make a ton of clothes in stock sizes.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, British military dress uniforms came from Gieves and Hawkes (separate entities before their merger). Gieves tailored dress uniforms for the Navy; Hawkes for the Army.

For fit issues such as the collar gap, I suppose the "rule" comes from precise tailoring. For fit issues such as the proportion of the suit (e.g. the length of a jacket), I think the "rule" comes from generations of British upper-class tradition. Many of our suit traditions just come from British upper-class norms.

In addition to all this, which is spot-on, suits are still described by the term "informal" because they were originally what gentlemen wore when they had no official business or formal occasion to attend. They could vary considerably from modern types - at least prior to the 1910s or so.

The fascination with minute sleeve details, shoulder construction, etc is fairly recent. (although most jackets in the past were unpadded as a rule) Trousers in the past, for example, might be flared:

4ov80u5xcla51.jpg

while later fashions in the Edwardian period were famously slimmer:

080af76c26b97d352c3321c63e17f05c--vintage-mens-suits-vintage-hats.jpg

Neither these suits nor the coats in the other picture would be "badly fitting" according to any supposed rules, but rather fitting differently depending on the garment itself.

The one thing I will point out about the earliest suits is that they still fit closely around the shoulders and arm area like a morning coat until well into the 1930s. The wider look with larger gaps between jacket and body didn't really start to show until the advent of ready-to-wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads