• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JL William or Chapel, I can say I much prefer Chapel (if I was "forced to choose", I wouldn't get either...)

jalebi

Reaction score
I think this might be a European vs North American divide. Monks or double monks have been relatively popular in Europe for a while (especially in Northern Europe, including England) , but I don't think they ever achieved popularity in North America.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really, double monk was all the menswear rage in 2010? Though i guess menswear itself is a niche...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, so closer to William (i.e. not like Chapel which is slanted)

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting a pair of single monks as one of my first not-RTW shoes. No mas?
1592521382157.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm outside and can't see the color of those shoes properly. They look like they're navy, but they could be black. I think non-traditional shoe colors (that is, anything that's not black, dark brown, or mid-brown) are often iffy. Tan sometimes works. But strange colors such as blue or red or orange are basically too dandy.

I like single monks, but of the two or three pairs I own, I mostly pass them over in favor of split toes. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. You only know if you like them if you've owned them for a while and see if they resonate with you. I like how they look in Talley's outfit. IMO, a pair of lace-ups would look less jaunty (for lack of a better word).

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm outside and can't see the color of those shoes properly. They look like they're navy, but they could be black. I think non-traditional shoe colors (that is, anything that's not black, dark brown, or mid-brown) are often iffy. Tan sometimes works. But strange colors such as blue or red or orange are basically too dandy.

I like single monks, but of the two or three pairs I own, I mostly pass them over in favor of split toes. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. You only know if you like them if you've owned them for a while and see if they resonate with you. I like how they look in Talley's outfit. IMO, a pair of lace-ups would look less jaunty (for lack of a better word).
I was just using them as reference haha. Was thinking black suede for the actual pair. But I would agree that I'd take split toes over most other types of shoes.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I first saw John Lobb double monks on display at Hermes in Paris in the early 80's I was hooked. It took about 15 years to get a pair but they classic and I love mine. They have a subtle elegance compared to many of the more fashiony later brands..

I dont think I will ever sell my JL Chapels in snuff suede. I waited forever to get those and in all the pieces Ive got on consignment, Ive never EVER had a pair come in. Thank you Axels in Colorado for putting those on sale during the recession!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a monk guy, but black single monk straps can be incredibly elegant, as shown in DWWs photo. Personally I’m still recovering from overexposure to double monks during the menswear era, but it is also a great shoe. I actually think both styles look best with conservative suits, as opposed to the wild, saturated plaids I associate them with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads