• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or if you want a derby this looks good too

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or if you want a derby this looks good too

I like these.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Similar to my EG Dovers. Nice.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to my EG Dovers. Nice.

But not a split toe though

I like the Norwegian toe, I'm just wary of the shoe being too bulky for my feet. I shall now seek a derby in this style but a narrow-enough last with a low-enough instep. Off the bat, these seem sleeker than the Dovers.

I'll add that in the midst of this discussion I ordered a pair of EG Chelsea oxfords that are undoubtedly too small and for which I will be paying handsomely to return. Clothing is my self-flagellation.

SleepyExcitableAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you're willing to pay eg prices, i think john lobb's city II is a really nice oxford. but only in black. personally dont like the museum calf thing

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're willing to pay eg prices, i think john lobb's city II is a really nice oxford.

That was my last failed stab - size 11 E is too long, pretty sure 10.5 E would be too small, was considering a 10 F, bought these EGs instead.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On a related matter, do we or do we not like this

rakecode002374-1_1_.jpg

rakecode002374-3.jpg

rakecode002374-4.jpg

Hard to say without seeing that on you.

Is that part of a suit, or is that just a sport coat? I generally don't like single-breasted peak lapels. They often don't have the same swooping line as a peak lapel on a double-breasted. The lapels can look like the stubby legs on a roasted turkey.

But if you were going to do a single-breasted peak lapel, I think it would look better as a suit than a sport coat. Some examples of where the cut works. Mostly, in real life, it often looks to me like someone went to a cheap MTM tailor and checked off all the boxes

DHnaqeDV0AAO1jJ.jpg

Oliver-Spencer-Anderson-and-Sheppard copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 2.45.07 PM.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a related matter, do we or do we not like this

rakecode002374-1_1_.jpg
Everything looks compressed to me. Hard to tell unless it's on a person but the pockets are high with the ticket pocket up on the rib cage. SB peak lapel looks better as a one-button suit. Maybe check out Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole stuff?

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really long for wearing a nice suit. Either in a classic strict combo with shirt and tie or with knitwear and sneakers. Also tailored cuffed and pleated cotton trusers with loafers and a droopy cardigan. These days I just wear jeans and Supergas with a polo. It was liberating at first but it’s getting old.

I have nothing else to share today.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say without seeing that on you.

Is that part of a suit, or is that just a sport coat? I generally don't like single-breasted peak lapels. They often don't have the same swooping line as a peak lapel on a double-breasted. The lapels can look like the stubby legs on a roasted turkey.

It's an odd jacket.

I am not sure how I feel about it at this point, although I can see it working, like here:

Oriol+Elcacho+Gentleman+Awards+2017+C_SdmjmQRHVl.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's an odd jacket.

I am not sure how I feel about it at this point, although I can see it working, like here:

Oriol+Elcacho+Gentleman+Awards+2017+C_SdmjmQRHVl.jpg

Personally don't like those lapels.

I think it's hard to do single-breasted peak lapels well. If you do it, I think it's also better on a suit, rather than a sport coat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Menswear is painful.

Have you tried No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line or The Armoury's Model 3 cut? I think both of those work well across a wide range of body types. Sartoria Formosa is/ was also amazing, although I don't know if NMWA carrying new jackets from them. I tried on one of their coats a couple of years ago and was really impressed.

IMO, stay away from stuff like single-breasted peak lapels or super deconstructed soft cuts. Focus on something that flatters your figure. I find most guys benefit from having a bit of padding/ structure. Unless you already have broad shoulders and a narrow waist, a bit of structure will help give the illusion of a V-shaped figure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads