• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a post on PS that asked people to nominate the winners in the comments:

A quick browse seems to show that two or three people mentioned Private White VC as an "investment" in the comments following that post, although I may have missed a comment or two. Five or six comments mentioned Edward Green shoes as a good investment, so I do wonder why Private White got the nod when more people seemed to nominate Edward Green (although I may, of course, have missed some comments).

Shoes seemed popular in the investment category, with a few others mentioning Alden, Church's and other brands. A few other people nominated bespoke suits from places like A&S as a good investment, while others mentioned Loro Piana or other expensive knitwear.

It will be interesting to see the winner of the "value" category, as it seems like thirty or more people mentioned Uniqlo merino knitwear, and quite a few more mentioned Uniqlo socks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you try so hard to be snarky but still fall flat on your face... Not you of course, Patrick.
Well, I definitely should have read all the text. I do, however, have the sense of being gamed and that’s enough to at least get a raised eyebrow from me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A quick browse seems to show that two or three people mentioned Private White VC as an "investment" in the comments following that post, although I may have missed a comment or two. Five or six comments mentioned Edward Green shoes as a good investment, so I do wonder why Private White got the nod when more people seemed to nominate Edward Green (although I may, of course, have missed some comments).

Shoes seemed popular in the investment category, with a few others mentioning Alden, Church's and other brands. A few other people nominated bespoke suits from places like A&S as a good investment, while others mentioned Loro Piana or other expensive knitwear.

It will be interesting to see the winner of the "value" category, as it seems like thirty or more people mentioned Uniqlo merino knitwear, and quite a few more mentioned Uniqlo socks.

I count more than two or three people for PWVC.

If you count this in an approval voting system, then PWVC wins by a vote of 7 to 6 (six being for Edward Green).

If you count this in a ranked voting system, then PWVC wins by a vote of 7 to 5.

To count the PWVC votes, you can do a search for "Private White VC" and then "bridge" to capture all the PWVC mentions (as some people only say bridge coat, instead of Private White VC).

To count the EG votes, you can do a search for "Edward Green," but then discount the guy who votes them for his value pick (not investment pick) and the guy who mentions them a few times while voting.

Last edited:

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uniqlo won the value category.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of PWVC, I’m considering getting their Mac in venture cotton this spring. Anybody experienced with this brand who would like to share their thoughts?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I count more than two or three people for PWVC.

If you count this in an approval voting system, then PWVC wins by a vote of 7 to 6 (six being for Edward Green).

If you count this in a ranked voting system, then PWVC wins by a vote of 7 to 5.

To count the PWVC votes, you can do a search for "Private White VC" and then "bridge" to capture all the PWVC mentions (as some people only say bridge coat, instead of Private White VC).

To count the EG votes, you can do a search for "Edward Green," but then discount the guy who votes them for his value pick (not investment pick) and the guy who mentions them a few times while voting.
Still seems a bit off to me. Seven folks voting for PWVC I suspect mostly because of the coats that were advertised on PS is not exactly “Four out of five dentists agree” levels of credibility.

Anyway, businesses need any bump they can get so I don’t begrudge the ad for the most part. Just thought it was worthy of a :paranoia:. The coats he made in collaboration with PWVC looked excellent.

Didn’t NMWA win best customer service last year? Pretty cool and well-deserved.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five or six comments mentioned Edward Green shoes as a good investment, so I do wonder why Private White got the nod when more people seemed to nominate Edward Green (although I may, of course, have missed some comments).

Didn’t NMWA win best customer service last year? Pretty cool and well-deserved.

Are these the same Edward Green AND NMWA who pay for advertisements on Permanent Style?!?!?!??!?!? I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!!

Simon provides really good content and sells some really nice products. But it's also just a blog and just clothes, which we're neither required to read nor purchase.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these the same Edward Green AND NMWA who pay for advertisements on Permanent Style?!?!?!??!?!? I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!!

Simon provides really good content and sells some really nice products. But it's also just a blog and just clothes, which we're neither required to read nor purchase.
That’s basically what I was saying. :paranoia:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still seems a bit off to me.

... except I don't have any sort of conspiracy. I don't think Simon is up to anything funny. He's been accused of promoting PWVC, an advertiser, instead of Edward Green, also an advertiser. It's all a bit absurd.

My excessive punctuation denotes sarcasm.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not wearing a tinfoil hat here. Was just pointing out my perception of a likely conflict of interest. Nothing shocking. I don’t begrudge them for trying to make a buck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads