• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

aj805

Reaction score
I'm going to say something potentially racist, but I consider this a safe space for this particular conversation. Sometimes when I am walking I will see a skinny Asian guy and I am like oh man he looks good! Then I step back and objectively look at his clothes and he does not look good. He will have something tailored on, but it fits weird, or it is just ugly and out of proportion. I have this weird affinity for skinny Asian men trying to look stylish. Is this weird? Am I racist?

I was thinking this very thing today while browsing the Uniqlo thread over in SW&D. Their modelling shots make the clothes look pretty cool (for what they are), then I realized it was because they are being modeled by rakish young Asian guys, who just always seem to look smart and hip. I pictured the same getup (baggy taupe stuff with huge pockets down below the chest) on a square whitebread type and presto! it revealed itself as ridiculous nonsense.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking this very thing today while browsing the Uniqlo thread over in SW&D. Their modelling shots make the clothes look pretty cool (for what they are), then I realized it was because they are being modeled by rakish young Asian guys, who just always seem to look smart and hip. I pictured the same getup (baggy taupe stuff with huge pockets down below the chest) on a square whitebread type and presto! it revealed itself as ridiculous nonsense.
C422DBA3-9B35-4251-BC6B-94671BA6A77D.jpeg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any bespoke tailors in the Philippines? Asking for a friend leaving tonight..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any bespoke tailors in the Philippines? Asking for a friend leaving tonight..
I'm sure there are tons of independent custom tailors. A store that has a great reputation for tailoring in Manila is Signet

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are peoples experience with bags in the 'helmet bag' style?

Specifically as a carry-on (for when I check a suitcase and don't want a trolley style carry-on)?

Was looking at this from Nemen x Master-Piece:

1582382476359.png

Thoughts on this bag (and the intended use)?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s ok. At least that one appears to come with a shoulder strap.

Really depends what you intend to keep in the bag. If you are keeping papers and other lightweight stuff, it should be fine. There are better options if you plan to carry a laptop or something heavier.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Specifically as a carry-on (for when I check a suitcase and don't want a trolley style carry-on)?

View attachment 1341777

how much stuff are you carrying? I mean if I’m not going to look CM might as well just go with a slicker backpack

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that much (no laptop, though probably a camera), but was thinking of getting something to hold more than the 2 way briefcase from Porter-Yoshida I've been using for this purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really a fan of slick backpacks.

Just realised I posted this on the MC side; I'll repost on the other side as looking MC isn't a concern. Thanks again.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say that's fine then, but personally prefer something a bit smaller (not sure how big was your 2 ways brief case)

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Porter 2 way briefcase is about 30x40 cm, the Nemen helmet bag about 40x45 cm. I guess it can hold at least 50% more, maybe even double, but it may be inconvenient to stack stuff vertically in the helmet bag. Using one of the more rounded duffel bag types that I already have, might actually be better...

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a really impractical, dramatic overcoat that I don't wear very often. It's double-breasted, it's got really broad shoulders, tons of drape, a shapely waist. It's long, and made from an unusual cloth. I tried out kind of a weird collar style with it. Even the buttons are a little absurd.

I don't wear this overcoat very often, but I had a chance to wear it out last night. I enjoyed it so much, and realized it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing. But even still I can't imagine wearing it more often than a few times a year. It's the only thing like that in my closet, and I'm really glad it's there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1341777

I like those, but mostly with workwear outfits.

They're basically shaped like a tote with some pockets. I don't have any experience with that specific model, but I've used helmet bags. I don't know if I would use one as a carry-on. I feel like it's more of a daily carry. With a carry-on, I would want more space, but I suppose it depends on how much you want to carry.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a really impractical, dramatic overcoat that I don't wear very often. It's double-breasted, it's got really broad shoulders, tons of drape, a shapely waist. It's long, and made from an unusual cloth. I tried out kind of a weird collar style with it. Even the buttons are a little absurd.

I don't wear this overcoat very often, but I had a chance to wear it out last night. I enjoyed it so much, and realized it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing. But even still I can't imagine wearing it more often than a few times a year. It's the only thing like that in my closet, and I'm really glad it's there.

picture?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads