• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say something potentially racist, but I consider this a safe space for this particular conversation. Sometimes when I am walking I will see a skinny Asian guy and I am like oh man he looks good! Then I step back and objectively look at his clothes and he does not look good. He will have something tailored on, but it fits weird, or it is just ugly and out of proportion. I have this weird affinity for skinny Asian men trying to look stylish. Is this weird? Am I racist?
Having a type is not necessarily racist. You have a thing for skinny Asian guys. You are attracted to them. It's neither racist or really that weird.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not sexual, I just think they look darn stylish all of the time when some other nationality guy wearing the same thing I wouldn't bat an eye at the outfit.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a bit of an unfair comparison

Kamoshita would probably rock almost any cut of clothes better because he is very thin and also appears very confident

That said, kamoshita totally nails the not-too-fitted style
They are both in charge of large men's style operations and are both supposed to uphold and represent a vision for their creative direction. That one decides to consistently wear stuff too tight and too short (which often is reflected on his store's windows and mannequins, coupled with styling often leaning on the tacky side) is his choice - so I don't see what's unfair in looking at their style and fit decisions side by side. I'm not going to give you a list of guys who are a lot bigger than that and dress with better style and more appropriate fit - there's already tons of that on this site and elsewhere.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I don't understand why we have rules like business attire, or business casual, ect.
If a person wears a nice fitting pair of jeans, a nice button down, and nice shoes/boots they will look just as good if not better.
Just because you have slacks/chino's and a tie on doesn't make you presentable and well dressed

I hear this argument all the time but I don't think it holds water. If a person isn't going to make an effort when they're wearing trousers/jacket/tie, why do we think they'd make an effort to wear a nice fitting pair of jeans, nice button down, etc? They're just going to continue to look sloppy in more casual clothes.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear this argument all the time but I don't think it holds water. If a person isn't going to make an effort when they're wearing trousers/jacket/tie, why do we think they'd make an effort to wear a nice fitting pair of jeans, nice button down, etc? They're just going to continue to look sloppy in more casual clothes.
what I mean is any person not necessarily those two guys, who puts in an effort with jeans vs. trousers/jacket/tie will look just as good if not better.
My point is more that wearing a jacket/trousers/ tie doesn't make you well dressed

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what I mean is any person not necessarily those two guys, who puts in an effort with jeans vs. trousers/jacket/tie will look just as good if not better.
My point is more that wearing a jacket/trousers/ tie doesn't make you well dressed

effort with jacket/trousers tie > effort with jeans > no effort with jacket/etc. > no effort with jeans

vida

Reaction score
Thin people look better in clothing which is why models, both men and women, are thin. I think there are some well dressed men out there that are far less than "modelesque", but in general I believe this is what this boils down to.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could this picture be any more explicit about understanding what’s the right fit for your body? And what is not

View attachment 1340347
True, but this could also be some kind of optical illusion, like where an object in the background appears to be in the foreground. Put anyone next to Yasuto Kamoshita and they're going to look bad. Dressing so well should be considered rude. I wouldn't tolerate it in any of my friends.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but this could also be some kind of optical illusion, like where an object in the background appears to be in the foreground. Put anyone next to Yasuto Kamoshita and they're going to look bad. Dressing so well should be considered rude. I wouldn't tolerate it in any of my friends.
I have the context of seeing both IRL (and separately) on a regular basis and this snapshot captures reality well IMO.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was once on a very long flight and Yasuto Kamoshita was sitting a couple rows ahead of me. He looked amazing. I thought, "this is it, he thinks none of us here know him and he's going to change into Crocs and sweatpants", but he didn't and he looked good the whole time. Think of how bad other air travelers looked beside him.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
They are both in charge of large men's style operations and are both supposed to uphold and represent a vision for their creative direction. That one decides to consistently wear stuff too tight and too short (which often is reflected on his store's windows and mannequins, coupled with styling often leaning on the tacky side) is his choice - so I don't see what's unfair in looking at their style and fit decisions side by side. I'm not going to give you a list of guys who are a lot bigger than that and dress with better style and more appropriate fit - there's already tons of that on this site and elsewhere.
Ok, I have no idea who the white dude is, but if he dresses like that all of the time I can’t see why anyone would want to copy his style as he presents it

I could see someone like kamoshita who is very thin wearing that style and looking much better though

in general, short and tight is better on small frames

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's the creative director of Paul Stuart

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could this picture be any more explicit about understanding what’s the right fit for your body? And what is not

View attachment 1340347

This is my problem with the slim/tapered/low-rise/short-jacket/untuckit fad. Sometimes I see someone wearing it and can only think to myself

giphy.gif

Slim/taper accentuates a pear shaped figured.

This is coming from a guy with thunder thighs, and who was once known as "tight pants guy" before wearing tight pants was mainstream. Now I go into Brooks Brothers, my thighs are like sausages in the trousers, and the sales rep tells me "that's how most guys like it nowadays!"

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the portly gent wore jeans and a nice button down, and nice shoes/boots as he does his coat and tie outfit he would look equally bad; not just as good or better. Your logic is flawed.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of Paul Stuart one of the newer Phineas Cole has awesome jacket but absurd slim trouser (Coleman? Looks like they’re only doing suit rather than odd jacket, and still Samuelsohn in this model)

Might know why now... I think leg opening for a size 30 is like 6.25”? A bit room to wide but probably barely get to 7” even if you full let out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads