• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really into their DB suits. Wouldn't go there for one.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Rake in Progress (DC resident!) posted a review of his Anglo-American MTM suit. Not sure I like the way the left lapel (as worn) hooks over the button but that's just me. I had a vintage Paul Stuart that did that. Makes for a unique look I guess.

didn't read the whole thing, scroll down to the bottom, not feeling those lapel on the bottom part...

also I was under the impression SM and SS both due MtM as well (his original point), but if it's aesthetics, I suppose go for it, but certainly not mine aesthetics...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Anglo-Italian's aesthetic and Jake and Alex are some of the nicest people you'll meet. Their product is basically exactly what I want in construction, design, etc.

That little turn at the button point on the belly seems to be getting more and more dramatic every season. I feel like sometimes, the buttonhole doesn't align perfectly where it should so it does that weird fold thing in his pics.

Done properly, though, it's fine. See both of them at Pitti:

View attachment 1325329 View attachment 1325330

this earlier pic of Jake, though, it looks less dramatic:

b0f7d292a3a1bb39fc3f2ff4cc9ab9e63f20108a.jpg

Or, could just be the inherent consistency question given they're made in Italy.

Anyway, the trousers don't look great on the suit in that review. Wonder if it's just the limitations of MTM and a slim silhouette (how his calves kick back and interrupt the line on his shin).

I personally thought the trousers looked awful on me when I tried their fitting model, but also I don't like pleats.

Also, when I put them on, hilariously, Alex came up behind me and hiked them waaaay up lol.

might be uneven shoulder height (which is the case for almost everyone, just how much), so end up pulling one side up a bit?

arakeinprogress

Reaction score
Bear with me as I've never really posted here before, but yes, my prominent calves and locked leg standing posture do make achieving clean lines on my trousers fairly difficult. I also think the pants are maybe slightly slimmer than is ideal given the silhouette of the jacket. It may look slightly top heavy as a result.

As for the turn at the button, I'm all ears if you think something is wrong with the buttoning point and can be fixed. I didn't specify any changes to it, this is how Alex designed it to fit. Possible it's an unintended consequence of being MTM, not bespoke of course.

I love Anglo-Italian's aesthetic and Jake and Alex are some of the nicest people you'll meet. Their product is basically exactly what I want in construction, design, etc.

That little turn at the button point on the belly seems to be getting more and more dramatic every season. I feel like sometimes, the buttonhole doesn't align perfectly where it should so it does that weird fold thing in his pics.

Done properly, though, it's fine. See both of them at Pitti:

View attachment 1325329 View attachment 1325330

this earlier pic of Jake, though, it looks less dramatic:

b0f7d292a3a1bb39fc3f2ff4cc9ab9e63f20108a.jpg

Or, could just be the inherent consistency question given they're made in Italy.

Anyway, the trousers don't look great on the suit in that review. Wonder if it's just the limitations of MTM and a slim silhouette (how his calves kick back and interrupt the line on his shin).

I personally thought the trousers looked awful on me when I tried their fitting model, but also I don't like pleats.

Also, when I put them on, hilariously, Alex came up behind me and hiked them waaaay up lol.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear with me as I've never really posted here before, but yes, my prominent calves and locked leg standing posture do make achieving clean lines on my trousers fairly difficult. I also think the pants are maybe slightly slimmer than is ideal given the silhouette of the jacket. It may look slightly top heavy as a result.

As for the turn at the button, I'm all ears if you think something is wrong with the buttoning point and can be fixed. I didn't specify any changes to it, this is how Alex designed it to fit. Possible it's an unintended consequence of being MTM, not bespoke of course.
I have runner’s calves as well, although Army and not Marine... ? I think the comments on the lapel overlapping the button relate to a mixture of styles. That contrivance is usually employed on shawl collared jackets. Caught my eye which is why I mentioned it on Insta.

Don’t sweat this place. Folks make some direct and sometimes caustic comments but there is lots of great info and discussions.

arakeinprogress

Reaction score
I appreciate honest feedback, I really do, so keep it coming. I'll adjust to the different tenor soon enough.

I have runner’s calves as well, although Army and not Marine... ? I think the comments on the lapel overlapping the button relate to a mixture of styles. That contrivance is usually employed on shawl collared jackets. Caught my eye which is why I mentioned it on Insta.

Don’t sweat this place. Folks make some direct and sometimes caustic comments but there is lots of great info and discussions.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has demanded you burn the garment and dog cuss the tailors for being abject failures. The post and review are still relatively new, so chickens hatching applies.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it doesn’t bother you then don’t worry about it.
the pants look good everywhere else on you. Your plan to widen the hem is a good one though. The single pleat on me was just no good.
But all in all it’s a really good suit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure I like the way the left lapel (as worn) hooks over the button but that's just me. I had a vintage Paul Stuart that did that. Makes for a unique look I guess.

I've got an old Ralph Lauren "Signature" line (I think that's what it was called - the predecessor to Purple Label) DB suit where the lapel curves over the top button a little. It's almost like a double-breasted version of a three-roll-to-two lapel.

I thought that it might be more of a US, or "trad" design feature but never bothered investigating further.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got an old Ralph Lauren "Signature" line (I think that's what it was called - the predecessor to Purple Label) DB suit where the lapel curves over the top button a little. It's almost like a double-breasted version of a three-roll-to-two lapel.

I thought that it might be more of a US, or "trad" design feature but never bothered investigating further.
I believe the “Signature” model was the precursor to Black Label. Purple Label was already in existence.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had one signature (not a DB), was too big, sold it, all I could remember was it had more roping, fairly high rise pants, got to be more than 20 years old now I suppose...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Cut has an article about the infectious joy of Anthony Hopkin's Twitter page, where you can find random gems like these

Anyway, I was looking up photos of him afterward and he had it going on in some CM when he was young (and now too)

rdhui2002

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this pattern? This is from scabal's Heroic catalogue
Originally I was trying to go for something classic and subtle,
but this caught my eye and I went ahead to make a 3-piece suit of it.
Is it too loud?
I don't want to look like a douche bag like the following pic..
Have I made a huge mistake?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 34
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 52

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads