1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

If you want something like a jodhpur, but not an actual jodhpur, then how about a Chelsea boot? Or for something more casual, a side zip?

FWIW, I like chukkas a lot. I know that's not a really unique suggestion, but I do find them useful for really casual clothes and more "tailored" looks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

Ditto. All joking aside, my fall/winter boots for the Bay Area are Alden cordovan chukkas. I plan on getting Dainite or all-weater soles when they need resoling, to make them even more weather resistant. Rain can spot shell, but it's not likely to if it's well cared for, and the spots are entirely removable via boning and maintenance anyway. Shell is great for inclement weather, I think.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I guess I want a really "city" look versus "country"

I have thought about Chelsea boots but am always afraid of the elastic gore overstretching.

I already have a pair of brown suede Loake Kempton chukka shoes. I feel they are too country.

After some orders come in I'll focus more on my fall-winter shoe. :nodding:

FWIW it still gets pretty wet when it starts raining here. No snow, which is a relief.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

@gettoasty maybe some of the meermin Group buys will strike your fancy?

5. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

SWD guy here, looking for any tips on any affordable classic tux.

I got a wedding to go to in about a month, and the real upper limit of my budget is about $700 or so. I'm just looking for something that fits a lot better than a men's wearhouse rental (honestly I'd buy a Uniqlo in a second if they had em).

Any advice? I'd much appreciate it.

6. dieworkwear

Maybe SuitSupply?

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/tuxedo-black-plain/P1109AE.html?start=50&cgid=Suits

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Wrong answer. Correct answer: one needs both the matching belt, AND the complementary belts. :)

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I like suede chukkas myself. If you treat them with silicon spray they are fairly water proof and good for Fall/Winter.

9. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Suede is awesome, even waterlogged suede can be restored to beautiful condition.

3 people like this.
  10. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

Very true. I clean my suede shoes in the sink in the first place. Saphir makes a great waterproofing spray, too.

11. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Question about flannel melange fabrics - is there any reason I might expect a brand name (like Minnis) flannel fabric to be any more durable than a no-name fabric of similar weight or will the main difference be that of comfort and drape?

These are two of the fabrics I am considering (and I do realize that they aren't the same weight). My HY flannels blew out in the crotch after 2 years of seasonal wear and I'd like to invest in a nicer fabric unless they will expire just as quickly. Darn cyclist thighs.

http://luxire.com/products/mid-grey-wool-flannel-100-wool
    http://luxire.com/products/minnis-flannel-mid-grey-plainflannel_0301

12. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are wearing your pants too tight if your groin is rubbing a hole in the pants. Unless you mean you are riding a bicycle in flannel pants.

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

^^^Consider a heavier grey wool twill rather than a flannel if you want durability.

3 people like this.
  14. Thrifter

The abrasion is a combination of having larger thighs from cycling and that my hips are configured so that I naturally walk with my legs fairly close together. I probably also overdid it on the flannels... I wore them 1-2 times per week from Nov-April for two years. I'm not disappointed with how long they've lasted, but rather just wondering if it's worth the investment for a brand name fabric.

15. Thrifter

Yes, I've also considered this. Luxire does have some twill flannels (Dugdale, etc) which I've understood will last a bit longer... they just don't seem to have the visual depth that flannel melange has. I guess durability can really depend on the fabric and there probably isn't any reason to think a Minnis flannel melange will be significantly more durable.

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Flannel will be a bit more dressy. Twill will be just a bit more casual. All of my bespoke winter weight wool pants are wool twill. I like how they look with chunky sweaters and more casual shoes as well as a brazer and nice oxfords.

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Despite people's inclinations flannel isn't very durable at all. I kind of consider it the linen of winter wear. It sags and looks slouchy quickly, doesn't hold a good crease and wears out very fast.

18. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

19. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

No wonder there are so many dudes walking around in way-to-tight suits :)

20. dieworkwear

Try converting your measurement from centimeters to inches.