1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...so Styleforum has been duped by Southern Italian shenanigans?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

...sigh....

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Gianni is actually Northern Italian, if that means anything.

4. unbelragazzo

Sounds like you have been duped by some Southern Italian shenanigan.

5. dieworkwear

If I can be honest, I can't tell the difference. They all sound the same to me.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can somebody summarize what happened with Gianni?

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Fashion journalist comes across a supply of old Italian silk fabric offcuts.

Thinks 'I could get ties made out of those and sell them as 'vintage' at a premium - especially if I do it in Napoli!'.

Invents authentic-sounding back-story.

Gets good publicity by sending free samples from his best fabrics to bloggers.

Builds up following of friend-customers on SF with his exclusive offerings, quirky Italian English, apparent expertise, and enthusiasm.

Demands rapidly exceeds supply, so he turns to any available fabric offcuts. He can't tell the difference anyway so how would anyone else?

Some real experts notice that some of the 'vintage' fabrics are 1. not that old; and/or, 2. English not Italian; and/or, 3. inkjet-printed; and/or, in some cases, 4. acquired by dubious methods;

Friend-customers start to become unhappy with broken promises, lengthy waiting times and evasion of basic questions.

Leaves SF and continues to sell by other means, hoping that no-one else has noticed.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I had met Gianni and Marta in Milan a few months back and they seemed perfectly reasonable. Then all the controversy about Passaggio Cravette started and had me worried for a while that I wouldn't get the ties that I ordered. I did receive my ties eventually but it wasn't without some anxiety. I like the ties I received and I'm thinking of getting more because he has patterns that I have seen nowhere else.

Unlike some people, the age of the fabrics have never been selling point for me.

9. patrickBOOTH

I see, but saying something is something, but it isn't something is shitty and he should sit in the corner for that.

1 person likes this.
  10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I really just think he bit off more than he could chew due to the rapid expansion of the business.

Personally, it was the combination of unique fabrics and the age that attracted me (as someone with an interest in the history of urban style). However the price seemed excessive from the start. It's all been a very interesting case-study in how luxury and niche markets work.

11. patrickBOOTH

I have some vintage bespoke suits from 2012 I am thinking of getting made up into ties if anybody is interested.

1 person likes this.
  12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Replace "thing" with "one" and half of the forum would be in the corner.

13. patrickBOOTH

Who says who is someone?

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

All I know is I'm a nobody.

15. patrickBOOTH

16. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

In regards to price, it seems commensurate with Drake's bespoke which is 150 GBP. Kiton RTW is about 300 USD. Cappelli and Sam Hober are very good value for your money in comparison. It really depends on how much you willing to pay for particular pattern or design. Margins must be potentially huge in the tie business.

1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

I don't want to name names, but I have seen a lot of shoddy "handwork" on some 'spensive ties these days...

1 person likes this.
  18. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I'll grant this to Gianni: the business concept was excellent and someone with a conscience will make a wad of cash by copying the idea. I mentioned Southern Italy because I have an interest in Italian culture, and the South is furbo country. If someone can get away with fooling another and does it with style, the one playing shenanigans has furbo. It's a compliment. Gianni has furbo.

19. dieworkwear

I think the issue is that -- whether you think it's admirable or not -- you're still playing up a stereotype that reduces a large group of people to just one character (e.g. "South is furbo country"). Most business going on in Southern Italy is perfectly fine and legitimate.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. unbelragazzo

+1. When an American or British firm does something like this (as has happened many times), no one calls the perpetrator a "sly Anglo-Saxon" or anything similar. They're just considered a bad egg. But if an Italian does it, it's because Italy is JUST like that Scarface movie. Or was it the Godfather.

1 person likes this.