1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Come on. No one lounges around in an Inverallan - it rough as an urchin chainmail coat... ;)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not everyone has your baby soft skin :)

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Wearing Inverallans naked is actually how I exfoliate.

1 person likes this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Didn't know where else to put this. F. Scott Fitzgerald was into texture it seems. Though perhaps the tie is just patterned:

[​IMG]

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I love texture, I am bored with the worsted smooth fabrics of the world right now. That fabric would make a great sports coat...

6. dieworkwear

The expression on his face suggests otherwise.

7. Louys

Louys Senior member

The world needs more barley corn tweeds.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's the expression of a sober alcoholic.

1 person likes this.
  9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I've begun thinking about outerwear for Fall. Since I live in a warm-to-temperate climate, I find that light outerwear is the best way to go. The top of my list is an anorak that I can pop-over during rainstorms and/or wear on weekends with jeans, chinos, shorts, etc.

Right now I'm really digging the Battenwear Packable Anorak, but I can't seem to find it any really versatile colors (looking for an earthy green, khaki or navy). I'm also unsure how well it reacts to weather (the goal is to find something that can stand up to rain and wind).

Any suggestions on a good, simple and versatile anorak? Bonus points if it's in the sub-$200 range -- it's a piece of nylon, after all.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. 1969

1969 Senior member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. bourbonbasted

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm intrigued by the wool lining.

I think I'm partial to the popover, though. Something about that configuration that is less common and appeals to me more. I like the louche connotation.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there aren't a ton of options out there. Seems like there are cheapo "your business name here" ponchos, LL Bean and then a huge jump into the JapAnglo heritagewear range. Wish there was something simple and classic in the $150 range.

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

I have one from H&M that I got for about that price last year, but you'd need to check ebay at this point .

[​IMG]

13. dieworkwear

Lots of brands to check out - Margaret Howell, Battenwear, Albam's house line, etc.

Fisherman smocks are also worth considering, if you're into that style.

http://www.merrowclothing.co.uk/

Those fit huge, but people come out with smocks all the time.

14. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

15. dieworkwear

I guess the Passagio Cravatte affiliate thread is shutting down, which means all the posts will be gone. Figured I'd save this somewhere, since it was one of the more useful posts out of the whole thing.

4 people like this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

18. bourbonbasted

Thanks for the insight, D. The Merrows look really nice, actually, but even at my measurements (41-42ish) none of those sound like they would fit overly well. My first reaction was, "I wonder if I can get them altered," but I think that iGent knee-jerk is best avoided with waterproof outwear.

Not keen on the banded cuffs of the Howell and Albam hasn't released their F/W stuff yet. I'm sure there will be a lot more outerwear trickling down in the next few months. My ideal configuration would be detachable hood, Ventile (or light nylon), side zips and hand pockets in some non-jarring color. Pretty simple to my thinking, but what do I know. I may stumble over to SWD and ask around. The Fjällräven No. 9 is the best I've seen, but is un-Godly expensive and hard-to-find.

Thanks for the suggestions. Oi Polloi has a lot of options, but the ones I like are sold out/not in my size. I'm not a fan of the logos, either, but we'll see if beggars can be choosers.

19. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Wow.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  20. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Saw this advertisement online and thought, "I wonder what % of their intended audience has ever had a tailor to begin with?" [​IMG]