• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Aran sweaters - but the myths around their origins are silly. The traditional is actually fairly new, about 130 years or so. The traditional actually stemmed from a government sponsored initiative to promote economic productivity in the islandd. There is pretty good evidence that the fishermen's sweaters were actually first adopted in mainland Ireland from those worn by the English and from fishermen in the North Sea. Inis Meain's particular genius, and that of a handful of other makers, was in recutting sweaters, and making them in luxury fabrics, for fashion customers - we are much more lucrative than old folks and the tourists that actually visit the islands.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From dieworkwear recent blog post:

As much as I dislike the old horses being trotted out over and over again, I do love this picture of Steve McQueen. It's pretty obvious that he 1) knows he's the ****, and 2) would look good in pretty much anything.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love Aran sweaters - but the myths around their origins are silly.  The traditional is actually fairly new, about 130 years or so.  The traditional actually stemmed from a government sponsored initiative to promote economic productivity in the islandd.  There is pretty good evidence that the fishermen's sweaters were actually first adopted in mainland Ireland from those worn by the English and from fishermen in the North Sea.  Inis Meain's particular genius, and that of a handful of other makers, was in recutting sweaters, and making them in luxury fabrics, for fashion customers - we are much more lucrative than old folks and the tourists that actually visit the islands.  

I heard from Talrach that some of his Japanese customers are now asking for a return to the rougher wool varieties. Funny how stuff sometimes comes back full circle.

Inis Meain calls theirs the "Classic Aran Jacket":
http://www.kafka.co.uk/item/InisMeain_ClassicAranJacket-Palissandro_0_483_20653_0.html

You're welcome.  I personally like the Stark more - I like heavier knits than Inis Meain usually makes (though a few stockists do ask for sweaters in high gauge new wool) - but the classic Aran jacket is certainly nice.

That looks really nice. I think I'm starting to prefer the zipper front though, as it looks a bit cleaner, but I have little faith many stores will carry it. Barney's has it this season, but not in brown or even in my size.

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...oduct-Show?pid=502869491&q=inis meain&index=6

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone have any good lookbook, historical or street pics of good fits with chunky white/cream crew-necks, preferably without collared shirts underneath? Nothing too extreme in style, but I'm not necessarily thinking worn with tailored jacket either. Trying to decide whether it'll be a worthwhile/versatile addition.

Beyond the obvious pairing with jeans/boots and a casual jacket (down jacket, field jacket, that sort of thing), I'm struggling to think of combos. Any more ideas? Also, apart from T shirts (and leaving aside BD collar shirts) anything else good to wear underneath?

I have a few cream colored sweaters. The first is a cream Inis Meain linen sweater. I don't know if I'd called it chunky, but it's certainly much thicker than your typical merino knit. I wear it in the summer under leather jackets. I also have a cream Aran rollneck from Asprey and a cream crewneck from Inis Meain that has a "basket weave" pattern on the front. Both of those get worn in the wintertime under Barbour jackets. with the crewnecks, I usually have a blue shirt underneath. Sometimes the linen one gets worn alone, just over a shirt, but frankly not that often.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard from Talrach that some of his Japanese customers are now asking for a return to the rougher wool varieties. Funny how stuff sometimes comes back full circle.
That looks really nice. I think I'm starting to prefer the zipper front though, as it looks a bit cleaner, but I have little faith many stores will carry it. Barney's has it this season, but not in brown or even in my size.

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...oduct-Show?pid=502869491&q=inis meain&index=6
I've always wanted the rougher wool. 100% Virgin wool, lanolin treated.

I can find you the zip through cardigan at any number of stores. It's actually much more common. But don't do it. The cable patterns demand buttons. Get the zipped version, and before you know it, you'll be wearing it through a mid-life crisis, under a sports jacket.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've always wanted the rougher wool.  100% Virgin wool, lanolin treated. 

I can find you the zip through cardigan at any number of stores.  It's actually much more common.  But don't do it.  The cable patterns demand buttons.  Get the zipped version, and before you know it, you'll be wearing it through a mid-life crisis, under a sports jacket.

I have a semi-rough Inis Meain that I bought on sale for like $70. Kind of odd since I think everything else I've seen from them has been in the luxury range. I really like it.

I think my obsession with leather jackets lately has already put me squarely in mid-life crisis mode. Actually wore the RRL one today that you linked me to. It's fantastic.

E TF

Reaction score

I have a few cream colored sweaters. The first is a cream Inis Meain linen sweater. I don't know if I'd called it chunky, but it's certainly much thicker than your typical merino knit. I wear it in the summer under leather jackets. I also have a cream Aran rollneck from Asprey and a cream crewneck from Inis Meain that has a "basket weave" pattern on the front. Both of those get worn in the wintertime under Barbour jackets. with the crewnecks, I usually have a blue shirt underneath. Sometimes the linen one gets worn alone, just over a shirt, but frankly not that often.

What trousers do you wear with these outfits?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Very helpful guys, thanks. I'm almost persuaded (one of the the sweaters I'm looking at is very similar to that pictured) I have the same further question as E,TF below, especially on options beyond the fairly obvious pairing of jeans & boots:

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've always wanted the rougher wool.  100% Virgin wool, lanolin treated. 

Are you doing that group order? I saw your comment over at SWD. Is that going to be a one-off, or is this part of a bigger effort to organize SF-driven MTOs (like the Viberg)? If the latter, is it possible to have a thread for these projects, so people can follow along?

The linen sweater plus leather jacket gets worn with fawn flannel trousers. The other stuff, jeans or corduroys.

You're both missing out on the opportunity to make turntable scratch noises with your clothes.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cool, thanks!

I'm contemplating getting a hand-knit Aran (if the one I want is already in stock; I'm too impatient to wait several months). I suspect the source I've googled up uses the traditional heavier/rougher wools. I figure that with a T-shirt or the similar underneath, it should be fine. It looks heavy enough to wear in a hurricane, without a jacket.
laugh.gif

They do a machine-made sweater too (cheaper, but a somewhat less visually interesting design). Still, will get it if the hand-knit isn't in stock, and maybe order the hand-knit at a later date.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fok mentioned at SWD that he might be organizing a custom order for a heavy, rough-wool Aran. Depending on where you're ordering from, his version might have a less dumpy cut.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fok mentioned at SWD that he might be organizing a custom order for a heavy, rough-wool Aran. Depending on where you're ordering from, his version might have a less dumpy cut.

Thanks for the heads-up; have PM'ed. Was just going to size down, but an improved cut all-round would of course be better.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you doing that group order? I saw your comment over at SWD. Is that going to be a one-off, or is this part of a bigger effort to organize SF-driven MTOs (like the Viberg)? If the latter, is it possible to have a thread for these projects, so people can follow along?
Yes, there will be a consolidated "Styleforummarket" thread somewhere in the not so distant future. It will be part of a bigger effort. It's hard to put in all that work for just one order.

Cheers,

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads