• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Falgrim

Reaction score
I bought two Johnstons' V-necks (merino) last year. If you get the right size, the fit is fine, but the armholes are quite wide compared to the Italian sweaters I have.
I just got these, which I really like:
nCFHT.jpg

Can't say much about them yet, other than that the fit, the colours, and the texture are great. They look like shetland sweaters, but they're actually brushed merino, which doesn't "sting". Since it's not sweater weather over here yet, I can't say anything about pilling or general quality yet.
These are really great but not the kind of fit I am searching for right now. Too skinny tight. Will definitely check them if I get my hands on them.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are really great but not the kind of fit I am searching for right now. Too skinny tight. Will definitely check them if I get my hands on them.

I understand. That's what I thought when I saw the fit pics of the model on the site. Mine are a bit looser (did you see the fit pic in my post?).

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand. That's what I thought when I saw the fit pics of the model on the site. Mine are a bit looser (did you see the fit pic in my post?).

Where are they from? I can't find them with a Google search.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks! I like that they look like Shetland but are Merino...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nt

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do you really not like AE's or that EG is like AE for the rich?

actually, you quoted my SC comment. anyway.

yes, EG don't do it for me hence they are "AE for the rich". AE do not "exist" in my shoe universe. tbh, i endorse to move the AE thread to DT.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

actually, you quoted my SC comment. anyway.
yes, EG don't do it for me hence they are "AE for the rich". AE do not "exist" in my shoe universe. tbh, i endorse to move the AE thread to DT.

See that's what I find odd. The largest number of complaints regarding AE is dedicated to the blobby lasts, thick 360 welt, and overall fundamentally unsleek appearance, and I think is true with the exception of a few shoes such as the Dalton or Malvern. But to the point, your shoes are almost exclusively blobby, heavily welted, and fundamentally unsleek, and while I respect another's right to have tastes that deviate from my own sense of aesthetics (do not read this as my necessarily respecting the different tastes themselves), I can't help but think that you are unjustifiably snobby when it comes to AE, perhaps because they don't have the pegged soles or toe taps or come complete with the 1930s fritz lang authenticity you like to see on shoes. Whatever people say about AE shoes, keep in mind, is also what many say about your shoes. it's easy to say "oh they don't get it, so i don't have to listen," but if you think that the AE thread should be moved to DT, then your Austrio-hungarian thread (which is about 1/20 the size of the AE thread) should similarly be moved to DT.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

See that's what I find odd.
The largest number of complaints regarding AE is dedicated to the blobby lasts, thick 360 welt, and overall fundamentally unsleek appearance, and I think is true with the exception of a few shoes such as the Dalton or Malvern. But to the point, your shoes are almost exclusively blobby, heavily welted, and fundamentally unsleek, and while I respect another's right to have tastes that deviate from my own sense of aesthetics (do not read this as my necessarily respecting the different tastes themselves), I can't help but think that you are unjustifiably snobby when it comes to AE, perhaps because they don't have the pegged soles or toe taps or come complete with the 1930s fritz lang authenticity you like to see on shoes. Whatever people say about AE shoes, keep in mind, is also what many say about your shoes. it's easy to say "oh they don't get it, so i don't have to listen," but if you think that the AE thread should be moved to DT, then your Austrio-hungarian thread (which is about 1/20 the size of the AE thread) should similarly be moved to DT.

ah ok. did not read.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Derek I don't want to derail your brilliant idea for a thread (because we need random fashion thoughts too), and I'll say that these shoes remind me of shoes I believe Doc Holiday (correct me if im wrong) put up of—martegani shell chukkas that were absolutely stunnng, and even more so due to his before and after polishing.

As for Fritzl, I'm not going to engage your general predilection for the unpleasant other than by saying that your overall attitude here resembles this, , except that the stomping is done with bread loaves that deludedly condescend to perfectly respectable makers such as AE (which until Meermin were some of the best shoes/$ and not all of us are millionaires), and widely revered ones such as EG.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's no such thing as derailing here. SWD's "random fashion thoughts" thread is more or less just a chat room for SWD regulars and their conversations go in all sorts of random directions. I'm hoping for this place to be the same

I'm eating papadum. This stuff is basically "make it yourself at home" chips. Delicious.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

There's no such thing as derailing here. SWD's "random fashion thoughts" thread is more or less just a chat room for SWD regulars and their conversations go in all sorts of random directions. I'm hoping for this place to be the same
I'm eating papadum. This stuff is basically "make it yourself at home" chips. Delicious.

Papadom is amazing. (Btw, by derailing i meant starting an ongoing argument with fritzl).

Last year during my junior year in school I started making my own tortilla chips, and then just covering them with lime juice and sea salt. 0 nutritional value but pretty satisfying. There's still a pair of levis i have that when I wear them, I occasionally notice that something smells like tacos. Then I realize its the jeans.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know it sounds a bit bizarre, but in my early 20s, I used to make these rice chips out of rice paper (the kind that you'd use for Vietnamese spring rolls). Same concept - heat up oil until it's really hot, then throw the broken up piece of paper in, so that they instantly fry up into chips. Then throw on some salt and lime, and you're good to go. Stuff is delicious.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was much younger, my father would often get us Indian take out, we always fought over the last piece of papadum, all in good fun of course. Thanks for helping to bring back a very good memory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads