• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JIMIG

Reaction score
To those who think loafers can be worn with suits:

What do you think of dark brown suede loafers with suits? I see the Anglo-Italian guys do it all the time, and I think it looks great on them. But not sure if it requires a certain suit fabric (flannel or some kind of fresco/textured wool which they tend to use)? Do you think it also works with a standard navy worsted wool “business-y” suit?

(Not taking dress code into account - looking at it purely aesthetically)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you think of dark brown suede loafers with suits? I see the Anglo-Italian guys do it all the time, and I think it looks great on them. But not sure if it requires a certain suit fabric (flannel or some kind of fresco/textured wool which they tend to use)? Do you think it also works with a standard navy worsted wool “business-y” suit?

I wear leather loafers with suits and sport coat/dress pants all the time. Suede loafers for me are mostly for warm weather and I'll wear them with tailoring if the work day allows it. Will wear with tailoring casually all the time.

C&J Harvard's work best for me.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

during the spring and summer I mainly wear loafers with my suits. I do dark brown suede loafers with linen and WSL suits.

For high twists or more standard worsteds I have other loafers I plug in depending on my day which vary in formality from the material and last but I stick with croc, lizard or calf over suede with the more “business-y” suits.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Honestly, I think this might be one of those things where it's past/above the bar of "socially acceptable," essentially meaning that it's up to you to decide if you like the looks. Assuming you own both articles of clothing (dark brown suede loafers, and suits), why not try out a few combinations and see if you like it? Because if you like it, if you rock it confidently, there is a 0% chance that I - specifically I, not the general public if I put myself into someone else's ... shoes ... sorry - there is a 0% chance that I would think to myself upon seeing you in the street "oh my god what is that guy doing." On the contrary, I'd think "nice, a snappy dresser." And if I was people-watching and gave it more than a half second thought, I'd probably think, "he's doing some stuff that isn't the most basic combo. nice. I bet he put thought into that."

I cannot speak for anyone else.

I would suggest that some combos would be incongruous. Suede loafers and a heavy tweed suit might be 'interesting.' Same with a pinstriped charcoal suit. Or a serious navy. But: A lighter weight, happier/friendlier (less formal) cloth, 100%.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have been nice to exist during the Golden Age of Tailoring in many ways but right now seems to be the Golden Age of Formerly Out-of-Reach Tailoring Now Comically Affordable. Just scored my first Cesare Attolini suit for a pittance, closet currently filled with Oxxford, Kiton, Isaia, and Zegna all bought at seriously reasonable prices over the past decade or so.

I'm sure there is a reckoning coming in some way but it feels like the great classic Blackadder line "Toffs at the top, plebs at the bottom and me in the middle making a fat pile of cash out of both of them."

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have been nice to exist during the Golden Age of Tailoring in many ways but right now seems to be the Golden Age of Formerly Out-of-Reach Tailoring Now Comically Affordable. Just scored my first Cesare Attolini suit for a pittance, closet currently filled with Oxxford, Kiton, Isaia, and Zegna all bought at seriously reasonable prices over the past decade or so.

I'm sure there is a reckoning coming in some way but it feels like the great classic Blackadder line "Toffs at the top, plebs at the bottom and me in the middle making a fat pile of cash out of both of them."
On an adjacent note - even though there are fewer tailors/cordwainers out there as well it feels like we are in the golden age of accessibility. Easier than ever to track them down and learn about regardless of where they’re located, how long they’ve been around. Gone are the days of needing to buy a book or have a friend who has tried them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an adjacent note - even though there are fewer tailors/cordwainers out there as well it feels like we are in the golden age of accessibility. Easier than ever to track them down and learn about regardless of where they’re located, how long they’ve been around. Gone are the days of needing to buy a book or have a friend who has tried them.
That’s likely because of the digital age. We can now access everything. I used to pride myself, upon moving to a new town, at being able to sniff out the best record and book shops to find the signed First Editions or out of print LPs. Not a thing anymore.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s likely because of the digital age. We can now access everything. I used to pride myself, upon moving to a new town, at being able to sniff out the best record and book shops to find the signed First Editions or out of print LPs. Not a thing anymore.
Lol okay boomer

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol okay boomer
Gen X, thank you very much.

Capture.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting IRL photos of Tom Cruise wearing Brioni bespoke.

Thoughts on the look? Looks very clean.
He looks pretty good. Not a big fan of SB peak lapels but nice look. Brioni moving away from their full cut Billionaire suits and aiming younger?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Certainly looks good quality and well fitted. I wouldn't go for such a tall peak for my own - style stuff, not correctness - and of course seeing the tux in daylight reminds us why the black tux in stark daylight is a bit meh. But of course sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do based on the itinerary of the event, and so you wear it earlier. And especially when there's good California sunlight until 8:30pm sometimes... well.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting IRL photos of Tom Cruise wearing Brioni bespoke.

Thoughts on the look? Looks very clean.

View attachment 1878193
View attachment 1878198
View attachment 1878199
View attachment 1878200
I think he looks great. He is short; just based on these pictures I would guess he was 2-3 inches taller than what I understand him to be. He has a very large head. The fuller Brioni chest and shoulders balance that and make his head look more proportionate. It’s doing what bespoke is supposed to do. Money well spent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads