• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Looks navy, or maybe even not-quite-navy, which is to say it looks good.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would consider it duplicative but if you love it and will wear it why not...

emptym

Reaction score
In college, a friend of mine had two jackets that looked identical, but one was insulated and the other uninsulated. He called them "big blue" and "little blue." Like those, these seem different enough to me.

But I wish Anglo-Italian, Stoffa, Herno, or someone else, would offer a waterproof version that covers a suit/sport coat and has a removable liner, ideally one that can be worn on its own, like a quilted Barbour.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this - @LA Guy
1) Charity auction this year or no?
2) Why you take away nice gold supporter tags?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this - @LA Guy
1) Charity auction this year or no?
2) Why you take away nice gold supporter tags?
1) This year, no. We will be doing something, but in Q1. There is a whole slew of reasons that I decided against doing them this season and in the same format, but I don't really feel like writinga thesis right now.,I even have a volunteer who will help me run the new thing. We are still committed to our charitable giving.
2) Um... they should be there. @admin? The onjy reason that would go away is if for some reason your subscription died, but Paypal should have told you and us, and I don't see that. I will ping you to see if that is still active, or whether something went wrong. We do have something lined up for our private sponsors - not as exciting as some um, Patreon like things, but still fun.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) This year, no. We will be doing something, but in Q1. There is a whole slew of reasons that I decided against doing them this season and in the same format, but I don't really feel like writinga thesis right now.,I even have a volunteer who will help me run the new thing. We are still committed to our charitable giving.
2) Um... they should be there. @admin? The onjy reason that would go away is if for some reason your subscription died, but Paypal should have told you and us, and I don't see that. I will ping you to see if that is still active, or whether something went wrong. We do have something lined up for our private sponsors - not as exciting as some um, Patreon like things, but still fun.

Oh I don't mean like...my gold tag. I don't see them on anyone anymore.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"A clue that someone who doesn’t care about showering or style is maybe someone who doesn’t care about audits and the commingling of funds."

Last edited:

garigo

Reaction score
I’m hunting for a scarf in this check pattern, does anyone know where I can find one? Ideally in navy.

FC4F7671-6039-4BFB-933B-B829652E58EF.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gimpwiz

Reaction score
"A clue that someone who doesn’t care about showering or style is maybe someone who doesn’t care about audits and the commingling of funds."

I am not planning to wear a suit to write code. IBM may have thought it's a good idea; they've made mistakes. But I'm happy to dress up to social events where others will dress up!

But everyone should shower before going places. Also, don't commingle funds or commit fraud. Federal prison speedrun seems a poor life strategy.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought 2 vintage tweed jackets that have completely different silhouettes. Same shoulder/chest/length measurements on paper.

Fun to see how different they wear. This one has a shoulder pad by the sleevecap, tall patch pockets, nipped waist, and lower chest pocket. It has the v-taper look.

20221130-143751.jpg

This other one is a sack cut, no darts, closed quarters, and generally looks straight and square; has more in common with my overcoats than my tailored jackets.

20221212-192920.jpg

I dig both of them. I've never owned a sack cut before, for some reason I was expecting more shape. Maybe looked at too many An_Acute_Style pictures.

I wasn't sure what to think initially, but the jacket is neither flattering or unflattering; it simply is. Looks comfortable and neutral.

I think I'd only ever buy a sack cut with patch pockets, I don't like the ones that are just flap pockets. O'Connell's carries that kind and it just looks meh. It looks better when it leans into the style IMO.

I also think sack cut jackets may look better worn open due to the lack of shaping.

My favourite part of both of these jackets is the single vent. It seems like single vents are more forgiving of people with big butts. Could be the cut too, but I'm not sure.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would imagine jacket waist measure differently?
Yeah probably, I didn't bother measuring that. The hip/quarter/skirt area is what I found most different.

I was debating having the waist taken in on the sack, but now I'm going to leave it.

Also, I always thought sack cuts only had a natural shoulder expression, but were padded in the slope. Nope, they truly are natural and unpadded from the neck to the sleevecap. I'm sure there is canvassing there though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads