1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

On par as in terms of old world? Like the Pierre or the St. Regis?

2. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

I assume he is looking for something in Midtown.

I can recommend The Benjamin. About $350-400 per night with corporate discount. http://www.thebenjamin.com/

A step up would be The Peninsula. One of the best hotels that I have stayed at but it will be closer to $750 per night. http://www.peninsula.com/New_York/en/default.aspx

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I imagine those two are really quite expensive. I'm happy to pass their names along though. If you have other recommendations - perhaps something nice, but not as luxurious (ie affordable), let me know.

Many thanks, BB. I'll pass those names along.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I usually just stash any luggage at Penn Station and stay out until some nice young lady offers me a place to stay.

5. dieworkwear

Is this why you're looking to commission some heavier coats this year?

:confused:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. unbelragazzo

When I'm in doubt, I just wear two coats and hope it provides enough protection.

7. dieworkwear

Tell me, do you at least bring your dressing gown with you when you go to these young women's apartments, or do you wear it underneath your other clothes, and just reveal it in all its splendor when you rip off your shirt and jacket?

8. unbelragazzo

I've had some suits made with detatchable lining. Problem solved.

9. dieworkwear

That's a great idea. Especially since a jacket's lining will only just barely cover your ass.

10. unbelragazzo

There's the trouser lining too. So it's really more pajamas than a dressing gown. But fit on the pajamas is outstanding.

11. dieworkwear

12. unbelragazzo

^terrible collar fit, and quarters too closed for me.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can't judge without seeing the vein detail.

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

haha!

Was about to ask whether it was a piss-take on Aitor Throup's modular design, but I see it was uploaded in 2006

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

1 person likes this.
  16. dieworkwear

Someone should start a weekly digest for unintentionally funny posts on StyleForum. Basically what Vox did for good fits, but more focused on unintentional humor.

4 people like this.
  17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[oldschoolsfmember]

isnt that WAYWRN?

[/oldschoolsfmember]

2 people like this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I really love Uniqlo dress shirts for what they are. Spread collar is nice and lies neatly under the lapel of a jacket when done up with a tie. The fit is pretty much perfect for me when I get the back darted.
    It does come with a chest pocket and double back pleats about the shoulder blade as a default.

I had my tailor put in double darts in the back before by following the already visible pleats. Went back today to pick up 3 more shirts I dropped off last weekend and noticed they did not follow the back pleats but instead created a whole new section for the double darts. I was a bit peeved and asked for it to be redone. Now I am worried, and I also dropped off 2 more new shirts to be done the same way.

:fu:

FWIW when done right it is very nice and I like it. Just surprised they did not do it the same this time. I was told it was a different lady in the back. ugh

BTW, for the guys who get their shirts altered, is it safe in general to get the shirts altered a bit brand new or should it go through 1 wash first. I asked my tailor and she said the weave of the shirt shrinks it vertically by very little rather than horizontally (since I am slimming the body a bit). How true is this?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  19. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I'd wash them 2, 3 times, anyway. Some shirts hardly shrink (after washing and ironing), but some do a bit. Better be safe than sorry.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This new guy at work has some bad style. First he was wearing these allen edmonds wingtips that looked like stone washed jeans. He constantly complains about how his trousers are too long and he needs to get them taken up. Also, he never has a crease in his trousers. He said he makes his wife iron out the crease because when you start to lose a crease it looks worse than not having one at all. My iGent head exploded.