• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's more than one way to fit a pair of trousers.

I don't have a high opinion of modern A&S. That said, I've used them for their bespoke services. My trousers aren't nearly as tight as the ones in your photo. When John Malone measured me, he asked if I normally wear trousers that slim. My fit is closer to the 48 in Mark's videos. Malone's style is typically much wider.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a better eye than I do if you call tell what fabric those are (unless you mean the pattern?). The rest of it is personal taste I suppose, but it's worth pointing out that they're clearly being adjusted.

Are we now defining cohesive looks on the basis of their stylistic eras? What is this, the Fedora Lounge?

The fabric appears to be a white pinstripe on black ground, which is an American mafioso's idea of good taste, circa 1920s, or how Hollywood would have you believe it.

Yes, some times mixing eras is not going to be a good idea - I like chelsea boots, but they align with the 1960s, and the slimmer cuts of stuff of that era. If you were to wear chelseas with a great 1980s flowing Armani DB suit, it would look off - not necessarily anything wrong with either piece, but the intersection thereof.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How complicated are you talking? Have you tried Tom's on Grand? Otherwise - Tailors on Blake in SLP (found when Top Shelf recommended them). Those are the two best I can think of in town.
Nothing too crazy. I will definitely check out Tom's as well. For some reason I was under the impression that Tailors on Blake was no longer in business, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks for your input!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a high opinion of modern A&S. That said, I've used them for their bespoke services. My trousers aren't nearly as tight as the ones in your photo. When John Malone measured me, he asked if I normally wear trousers that slim. My fit is closer to the 48 in Mark's videos. Malone's style is typically much wider.

So your trousers aren't as slim. Neither are mine, for the most part. That's just your personal preference, not an observation on whether they're objectively bad/good.

(please don't pretend like you've found some golden mean for trouser proportions - if you were true to yourself you'd wear them like Snoop Dog)

The fabric appears to be a white pinstripe on black ground, which is an American mafioso's idea of good taste, circa 1920s, or how Hollywood would have you believe it.

Yes, some times mixing eras is not going to be a good idea - I like chelsea boots, but they align with the 1960s, and the slimmer cuts of stuff of that era. If you were to wear chelseas with a great 1980s flowing Armani DB suit, it would look off - not necessarily anything wrong with either piece, but the intersection thereof.

Fair enough. I personally see nothing wrong with mixing pattern types and footwear, but I can see how it might bother some.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @mossrockss knows of a good store in that area. Perhaps if he says the name, you can call them and ask them who they recommend.
edit: lol i see 94 other people already recommended them

Martin Patrick 3 is the store in question, they sell very high end brands so I assume they have someone in store, but might also know of others to recommend.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing too crazy. I will definitely check out Tom's as well. For some reason I was under the impression that Tailors on Blake was no longer in business, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks for your input!
Definitely check out Tom's. He and his wife are awesome - Never had an issue with them on any of my stuff and they're the nicest people around. It's basically at Grand and Dale and most of the time it's a one week turnaround. One of these day's I'll find a dry cleaner I trust after mine went out of business during the pandemic.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dieworkwear summed it up pretty well in his post below mine. Seems they are operating from a workshop in Islington under the brand Henry Maxwell, although without some key talent.

I knew Foster and Son were closing their RTW business, but it seems that now even the bespoke portion is gone. That's a real shame - they were the best bespoke shoemaker I've tried, and I'm going to prize my pairs from them even more now.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s nice to meet you all. I own a variety of products from Loro piana, kiton, PBJ, Oni, viapiana, Real Mccoys, Aero Leather, Lost Worlds, Dege and Skinner, Turnbull & Asser, Dents, Emil Kraus, Falke, Yves Salomon, Canada Goose, Rolex, Creed, Parfums De Marley, Chanel, Amoug, John Lobb, Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling. I’m into clothes, accessories, colognes, shoes, cars, cigars, whiskey, cognac, movies, golf clubs, pens and more.

Happy to discuss anything with you gentlemen. Any brand I didn’t mention I don’t have much personal experience with but always appreciate a good education.
-Pine Baron

My god. Someone who spent that much money pre SF?!?!

Welcome. Can only imagine the list after SF lol.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s nice to meet you all. I own a variety of products from Loro piana, kiton, PBJ, Oni, viapiana, Real Mccoys, Aero Leather, Lost Worlds, Dege and Skinner, Turnbull & Asser, Dents, Emil Kraus, Falke, Yves Salomon, Canada Goose, Rolex, Creed, Parfums De Marley, Chanel, Amouge, John Lobb, Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling. I’m into clothes, accessories, colognes, shoes, cars, cigars, whiskey, cognac, movies, golf clubs, pens and more.

Happy to discuss anything with you gentlemen. Any brand I didn’t mention I don’t have much personal experience with but always appreciate a good education.
-Pine Baron

Finally, another Turnbull and Asser man.

Have you taken a look at the Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread yet? We have a lively little corner for that sort of thing/people who are discerning enough to have a fragrance wardrobe: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/scent-fragrance-of-the-day-thread.42777/page-2051

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Truth be told I’m actually pretty content with what I have. I’ve been looking at Galways, Dovers and some watches but nothing I’m in any rush to buy. It’ll be nice to talk with people interested in things I’m interested in. Nice to meet you.
Day 1 above.

Day 8: "New Royal Oak.... all other watches are for plebs."

(Not making fun of you, making fun of the forum).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Day 1 above.

Day 8: "New Royal Oak.... all other watches are for plebs."

(Not making fun of you, making fun of the forum).
Day 25: So I've booked my flight to Italy. Which houses should I visit while I'm there? Can I do Florence and Naples in the same trip?

giphy-2.gif

Welcome, @Pine Baron

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads