• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. SS button up shirt, LS button up with sleeves rolled, or T shirt with a shirt jacket or light sweater.....

I don't think smitty said he disliked SS shirts. Just not wearing a T Shirt as his only layer.... which seems reasonable.
I've started trying to adopt an approach like this....maybe wearing an unbuttoned LS chambray shirt over a tshirt with shorts. I don't think there's any question that it looks better. My problem is that I just get too damn hot that way. I don't typically wear shorts unless them temperature is above 80-85 degrees, at which point the thought of wearing an overshirt or light sweater just gets tossed out the window immediately.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've started trying to adopt an approach like this....maybe wearing an unbuttoned LS chambray shirt over a tshirt with shorts. I don't think there's any question that it looks better. My problem is that I just get too damn hot that way. I don't typically wear shorts unless them temperature is above 80-85 degrees, at which point the thought of wearing an overshirt or light sweater just gets tossed out the window immediately.
I used to do the same thing then picked up some excellent Blue Blue Japan, Soulive, and Portuguese Flannel short sleeve shirts from NMWA along with some linen short sleeves from Drake's. It just gets too hot for me around here for layers or long sleeves during the day.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are only two realities to StyleForum:
  1. It's not as good as it used to be
  2. I can't believe I'm still posting here
All posters exist in one or both of these realities at all times.
That's why I mainly post in the CEsspool. A lot of fun to be had there.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, CM question for the experts. (@Andy57 and @UrbanComposition sending out the Bat Signal herel) Wifey and I going out for our anniversary this Saturday night. I will wear the white dinner jacket I got married in but want to dress it down a bit. Not going for Connery in Goldfinger this time. Was thinking maybe dark blue RLPL linen pants and a light blue linen shirt?

Maybe a patterned shirt or a light pink linen shirt? Suede loafers, black calf loafers, or maybe black oxfords? I've only worn this once!

DOW_0882.JPG

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, CM question for the experts. (@Andy57 and @UrbanComposition sending out the Bat Signal herel) Wifey and I going out for our anniversary this Saturday night. I will wear the white dinner jacket I got married in but want to dress it down a bit. Not going for Connery in Goldfinger this time. Was thinking maybe dark blue RLPL linen pants and a light blue linen shirt?

Maybe a patterned shirt or a light pink linen shirt? Suede loafers, black calf loafers, or maybe black oxfords? I've only worn this once!

View attachment 1628783
What a shame to have only worn this once! So, if you're not going to go black tie, I like the sound of your dark blue linen trousers and light blue shirt. I think that would work pretty well. Depending on the color of your suede loafers, I'd probably recommend those or the other pair of loafers. I think black oxfords would be a mismatch. Most importantly, have a wonderful evening out with your wife!

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a shame to have only worn this once! So, if you're not going to go black tie, I like the sound of your dark blue linen trousers and light blue shirt. I think that would work pretty well. Depending on the color of your suede loafers, I'd probably recommend those or the other pair of loafers. I think black oxfords would be a mismatch. Most importantly, have a wonderful evening out with your wife!
Thanks for the input! Will likely wear with very dark brown C&J Harvard loafers. I want to up my CM game as we are (hopefully) coming out of Covid and I'm tired of being too casually dressed. I figured the white jacket would do well on a hot summer night.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1624376952227.png

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it will look better with the darker shade of blue and navy trousers, but you can try both on and decide

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And just in case you are considering going even more informal:

1624379325595.png

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is suggesting you always have to wear multiple layers, only if wearing a t-shirt we prefer to wear something over it. When its hot, SS are acceptable, we just prefer something that buttons up, vice a t-shirt......

I used to do the same thing then picked up some excellent Blue Blue Japan, Soulive, and Portuguese Flannel short sleeve shirts from NMWA along with some linen short sleeves from Drake's. It just gets too hot for me around here for layers or long sleeves during the day.
This, short sleeves all day long when its hot, only; button up > pullover t-shirts (in most cases)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is suggesting you always have to wear multiple layers, only if wearing a t-shirt we prefer to wear something over it. When its hot, SS are acceptable, we just prefer something that buttons up, vice a t-shirt......

This, short sleeves all day long when its hot, only; button up > pullover t-shirts (in most cases)
Yeah, I understand. It wasn't a confusing statement.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.