• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

:lol:
My ConArt haul arrives in the spring. Im still updating the transfer of my VideoGraf VHS-DVD. BTW, I did a few posts on tumblr last week just for you - put up some Taki 183, Dondi, etc. Dont know if you saw.

I did. I had to sudden urge to break out a black book and listen to The Artifacts when I saw those.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just met with my shirt tailor, who I met with for a fitting on a shirt jacket/ safari jacket I'm having them make for me.

I was a bit concerned at the fitting that the jacket's front was too "closed." That is, that not enough shirt was showing when the jacket was left unbuttoned. Not sure if I can use the term in this way, but it was as though the jacket's cut was too crooked for my stance. I mentioned this issue, but the head tailor said that's how safari jackets should fit at first. Throughout the day, he said, the jacket will naturally get pushed back and more of my shirt underneath will show. If too much of my shirt showed now, it would be cut incorrectly.

I asked if this also meant that the collar would lift of my neck, but he assured me it wouldn't. It was somehow that the shirt jacket itself would just naturally get pushed back.

I have two RTW shirt jackets, but none bespoke. I've never noticed them being too closed at the beginning of the day and just right at the end. Anyone have experience with this? This one is linen, if it matters at all.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Thought I'd just throw this one out here.

On a slightly different note, one thing that has struck me in recent years is the "unisex" character of so much casual clothing. Both sexes dress very similarly in shorts, T-shirts, jeans, sweat shirts, sneakers and sandals. In some cases, particularly in the case of overweight people, I often find it difficult to determine the sex of a person approaching me until they are quite close! It is somewhat ironic: Men who like to dress well in a classic manner are often accused of being effeminate, gay or whatever. However, when I stop at the market tonight, the odds that I will see a woman wearing, inter alia, a tweed jacket, wool tie and suede chukkas, in other words, dressed very similar to me, are infinitesimally remote. However, if I were dressed in commonplace "guy" clothes--sneakers, jeans, T-shirt--it would be a near certainty that I would encounter women almost identically attired.

Ivar

Reaction score

The button that resides just over my bellybutton?
Currently the hardest working button in the business.

I-know-that-feel-bro-blank.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on what's appropriate to wear for a skype interview where the work dress will be casual (science)?

I would still wear coat and tie. And no pants is a given.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, I will definitely be wearing pants. I'll have to book a room at uni to do the interview in as I don't think my room at home looks particularly professional.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good decision. :)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
hendrix, coat and tie to be sure. Tweed with odd pants and conservative tie if you want to be more academic/casual. But for sure coat and tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads