• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on... look at the pictures !

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Ivar

Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The cloth is only see-through if you pick the wrong kind of weave.

Yep, the same kind of weave that makes it wear cooler.

Ivar

Reaction score

Yep, the same kind of weave that makes it wear cooler.

Yeah, I guess. All I know is that one of my coats has unlined sleeves, and it's neither see-through nor very hot.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was starting to second-guess myself for getting the sleeves of my fresco suit lined, as someone here mentioned they never did as it would kinda defeat the purpose of geting fresco in the first place. But now I'm glad I did.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on... look at the pictures !

It has been my uncommon good fortune that I have always evaded the paparazzi and Men's wear bloggers. I once had a chance encounter with The Sartorialist but fortunately Nick Wooster was there to draw the fire. About a year ago, Bill Cunningham asked me to move because I was getting in the way of his shot. I doubt pictures of me wearing see through sleeves would ever be taken.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

It has been my uncommon good fortune that I have always evaded the paparazzi and Men's wear bloggers. I once had a chance encounter with The Sartorialist but fortunately Nick Wooster was there to draw the fire. About a year ago, Bill Cunningham asked me to move because I was getting in the way of his shot. I doubt pictures of me wearing see through sleeves would ever be taken.

Ah, but will you be able to avoid a mirror? That is the question. :D

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well that answers the unlined vs lined question : these are definitely unlined. It looks so moronic, sorry to be so blunt.

no need to be sorry. you should probably email him and let him know.

Itsuo

Reaction score

Single or double vents is personal preference, but I wouldn't go with no vents because unvented jackets bunch up when I sit down. For my overcoat, my tailor insisted on a single vent, based on tradition, IIRC.

Yes this is true, I once wore my unlined summer wool jacket on a particularly cold flight and the back was a little bunched and wrinkled. It might be important to say I also have my jackets made a little short as I'm not very tall (5'6"/168cm) and I find it looks better. But this also means there is less material hanging low in the seat area when you sit with your jacket on.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way that this is only visible through flash photo. If wearing a light colored shirt (which I assume will be the case), you will clearly see it through the sleeves open weave because it's in direct contact at all times. It may not look exactly like those pictures but it will look either like a strange sheen in low light, or a contrast (like those pics) in direct natural/artificial light. I know, I've been there - it is very noticeable. Of course, if you do this for a light colored suit (e.g. light grey), it won't be as much of an issue. Anyhow... you've been warned :)

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I believe the issue is only evident during flash photography. A mirror should be safe.

Only giving you a hard time. I would be curious to know how it works out though. And if the shirt showing through truly is limited to intensified lighting. Though my assumption is that it will be noticeable at all times (in varying degrees).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads