• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

tailoredtech

Reaction score
every iPhone and equivalent, every browser, have the functionality to block tracking, cookies, etc... to browse incognito to turn off automatic wifi discovery. It’s just there, in the settings. Yet most people prefer the convenience of browsing while cookied (BWC).

it reminds me of how people complain about how much commercial email they get yet (a) except for some rare exceptions, they subscribed to all of them, and (b)it takes one tap or click to unsubscribe. Yet unsubscribe rate are minuscule.
this tells me that things are a lot less black and white than a simplistic pro or against privacy. Many of us actually value some of the targeting, not to mention the incredible convenience of BWC - or we develop some FOMO of unsubscribing to emails (what if a great deal or content comes through). We adapt our life to this balance of give and take, and we develop consciousness of the limitations of (that part of our) privacy.

I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo to see how much of a difference a search engine with no tracking would be. I came to realize how much I've become used to tracking, and at this point prefer it. It adds a slight inconvenience, and that's enough for me to go back to Google. It's odd to say but I think I gave up any reservations I had about this a while ago, assuming I can never win the fight against my data being tracked and sold.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo to see how much of a difference a search engine with no tracking would be. I came to realize how much I've become used to tracking, and at this point prefer it. It adds a slight inconvenience, and that's enough for me to go back to Google. It's odd to say but I think I gave up any reservations I had about this a while ago, assuming I can never win the fight against my data being tracked and sold.

To be fair, DuckDuckGo is still the best when searching for streaming links, as Google won't show them since the company is paid to keep them buried.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what does DuckDuckGo do with the "simple" location service, like if I search for a generic chinese restaurant I don't want results from all over the world in some random order shows up. I assume even they have to do some level of geo tracking (not storing)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catching up on the news this morning. I'm used to continuous digital ads from No Man Walks Alone and Drake's, two places I browse and shop at regularly. Now getting a bunch of Jos. A. Bank ads! Not exactly an #menswear-level algorithm working here. :rotflmao:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha yup, I got a lot JAB ads as well. Though I do get all the regular ads, I mean the top of my gmail pop up is like

NMWA/Drakes/RL/JCrew/ then every single discount site I check...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does DuckDuckGo do with the "simple" location service, like if I search for a generic chinese restaurant I don't want results from all over the world in some random order shows up. I assume even they have to do some level of geo tracking (not storing)

I have no idea how all that works. I just remember being ridiculously frustrated one evening when Google was refusing to link me to streamed movies (which are legal in Canada), and then I came across that one.

Perhaps IP location plays some role.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just tried DuckDuckGo definitely use approximation location via IP they just don't store it so it seems

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the span of an hour today, I encountered two very different menswear enthusiasts. The first man was the type of custom clothes client who delights in pointing out issues in a first fitting, and becomes disappointed when he can find nothing to correct in a final fitting (despite eager, but unsuccessful attempts). This man went home in a dissatisfied mood with perfect clothes. He will likely find that his tailor is too busy to accommodate him in the future.

A little while later, in line at a coronavirus testing site, I overheard a conversation between two National Guard members who were dealing with paperwork. One of them was really excited for his 28th birthday coming up in a few months, and was talking about how his whole life he's wanted a nice, custom-made suit. His grandfather had one, and he was always so proud to wear it (it was light blue, and double-breasted). This guy was working on losing some weight, and then he was going to get a suit made just to wear around town like his grandfather did. He was so psyched! Depending on where this man goes for his suit, he may find that his tailor will do anything to accommodate him, whatever his budget and timeframe may be.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the span of an hour today, I encountered two very different menswear enthusiasts. The first man was the type of custom clothes client who delights in pointing out issues in a first fitting, and becomes disappointed when he can find nothing to correct in a final fitting (despite eager, but unsuccessful attempts). This man went home in a dissatisfied mood with perfect clothes.

What's his StyleForum handle?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This man went home in a dissatisfied mood with perfect clothes.

...Depending on where this man goes for his suit, he may find that his tailor will do anything to accommodate him, whatever his budget and timeframe may be.

Hmm... perfect clothes and a bad mood, or accommodating service and excitement? (TWSS)

vida

Reaction score
think those might be back to Isaia again
think those might be back to Isaia again

usually I would agree with that sentiment (replicating things), but at least to me the Drakes' tailoring falls to mediocrity even on the look department alone, grey chalkstripe is not exactly exotic animal.

on Paul Stuart, you can still get basic around $2k, they run 15% off on MtM during trunk show also starts around $2.1~2.3k?

ring jacket, actually cheaper!

or hunt on drop93

nmwa, also $2k (have to do MtM, but can't see it being that much more)

usually I would agree with that sentiment (replicating things), but at least to me the Drakes' tailoring falls to mediocrity even on the look department alone, grey chalkstripe is not exactly exotic animal.

on Paul Stuart, you can still get basic around $2k, they run 15% off on MtM during trunk show also starts around $2.1~2.3k?

ring jacket, actually cheaper!

or hunt on drop93

nmwa, also $2k (have to do MtM, but can't see it being that much more)
How does Isaia work into this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads