• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had a good experience with cotton suits. Owned one for a while but got rid of it. Tried them on many times but never found them as comfortable or as useful as wool.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with corduroy I would have thought?
Even more casual than the cotton suits from the video. Not bad looking I guess. Never was a huge corduroy fan.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think they look quite smart, especially in those mystical earthy tones you mention.

I've one corduroy suit by Zegna. I find it really comfy for travelling as all the pockets come in handy and the softer fabric is great for slouching around waiting for your flight / on the plane. Not that I'll be travelling anymore.

One thing to mention is that girls seem to like it quite a bit as I find women have a deeper appreciation of the haptic qualities of cord.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can wear cord suit as casual suit, but a smooth cotton is kind nor there or here for me I suppose.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can wear cord suit as casual suit, but a smooth cotton is kind nor there or here for me I suppose.
The real question is do you get wildly groped by babes while wearing corduroy as alluded to above? :crackup:

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, I guess I do have cotton jacket, velvet, just never mentally registered in my head..., speaking of which is there anyone that still makes pure silk velvet jacket?
Sounds like something Etro or New & Lingwood might do. Maybe Phineas Cole?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, I guess I do have cotton jacket, velvet, just never mentally registered in my head..., speaking of which is there anyone that still makes pure silk velvet jacket?
As in natural silk? Mostly I've only seen cotton or derivatives (Rayon, Cupro, etc.).

It actually doesn't work as well as cotton velvet, from what a few tailors have told me. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's a durability issue.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like something Etro or New & Lingwood might do. Maybe Phineas Cole?
Etro will probably add some synthetic blend even if it has silk in it. New & Lingwood, yup maybe, I usually pay attention to Phineas Cole, don't remember ever seeing that, or maybe even Tom Ford?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As in natural silk? Mostly I've only seen cotton or derivatives (Rayon, Cupro, etc.).

It actually doesn't work as well as cotton velvet, from what a few tailors have told me. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's a durability issue.
would be nice to know as well, but more of a curiosity than anything

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Etro will probably add some synthetic blend even if it has silk in it. New & Lingwood, yup maybe, I usually pay attention to Phineas Cole, don't remember ever seeing that, or maybe even Tom Ford?
Tom Ford does lots of velvet, but it's a Rayon mix.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.