• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Similar to my EG Dovers. Nice.

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to my EG Dovers. Nice.
But not a split toe though
I like the Norwegian toe, I'm just wary of the shoe being too bulky for my feet. I shall now seek a derby in this style but a narrow-enough last with a low-enough instep. Off the bat, these seem sleeker than the Dovers.

I'll add that in the midst of this discussion I ordered a pair of EG Chelsea oxfords that are undoubtedly too small and for which I will be paying handsomely to return. Clothing is my self-flagellation.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you're willing to pay eg prices, i think john lobb's city II is a really nice oxford. but only in black. personally dont like the museum calf thing

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On a related matter, do we or do we not like this

Hard to say without seeing that on you.

Is that part of a suit, or is that just a sport coat? I generally don't like single-breasted peak lapels. They often don't have the same swooping line as a peak lapel on a double-breasted. The lapels can look like the stubby legs on a roasted turkey.

But if you were going to do a single-breasted peak lapel, I think it would look better as a suit than a sport coat. Some examples of where the cut works. Mostly, in real life, it often looks to me like someone went to a cheap MTM tailor and checked off all the boxes

DHnaqeDV0AAO1jJ.jpg

Oliver-Spencer-Anderson-and-Sheppard copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 2.45.07 PM.png

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related matter, do we or do we not like this

Everything looks compressed to me. Hard to tell unless it's on a person but the pockets are high with the ticket pocket up on the rib cage. SB peak lapel looks better as a one-button suit. Maybe check out Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole stuff?

IJReilly

Reaction score
I really long for wearing a nice suit. Either in a classic strict combo with shirt and tie or with knitwear and sneakers. Also tailored cuffed and pleated cotton trusers with loafers and a droopy cardigan. These days I just wear jeans and Supergas with a polo. It was liberating at first but it’s getting old.

I have nothing else to share today.

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say without seeing that on you.

Is that part of a suit, or is that just a sport coat? I generally don't like single-breasted peak lapels. They often don't have the same swooping line as a peak lapel on a double-breasted. The lapels can look like the stubby legs on a roasted turkey.
It's an odd jacket.

I am not sure how I feel about it at this point, although I can see it working, like here:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's an odd jacket.

I am not sure how I feel about it at this point, although I can see it working, like here:

Personally don't like those lapels.

I think it's hard to do single-breasted peak lapels well. If you do it, I think it's also better on a suit, rather than a sport coat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Menswear is painful.
Have you tried No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line or The Armoury's Model 3 cut? I think both of those work well across a wide range of body types. Sartoria Formosa is/ was also amazing, although I don't know if NMWA carrying new jackets from them. I tried on one of their coats a couple of years ago and was really impressed.

IMO, stay away from stuff like single-breasted peak lapels or super deconstructed soft cuts. Focus on something that flatters your figure. I find most guys benefit from having a bit of padding/ structure. Unless you already have broad shoulders and a narrow waist, a bit of structure will help give the illusion of a V-shaped figure.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.