MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

American child walking past my window: "Dad, why in Italy do they only have boats instead of cars?"

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Duh! Everyone knows that the wheel was invented in America. Those kooky Italians have probably just been too busy eating and drkinking and enjoying life all day to notice.

:D

:embar:

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Might be of interest. An SF user uploaded scans of The New Yorker's article on Yoox. You can see it behind the spoiler alert here. I thought it was an interesting read.

4. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

This guy bleeds style so hard. I love reading and seeing stuff like this. If a guy just shows up and posts a picture of this on Styleforum, he might get all kinds of trash talk (or not). Even if you don't share his style, he's got a real voice, and a blog to follow.

5. dieworkwear

DG has been one of my favorite blogs for years. Great, great stuff.

6. dieworkwear

Anyone have much experience with linen sweaters? I'm wearing one from ASW, made by Inis Meain, and really like it. I'd like to find some more to recommend to people, but unfortunately haven't seen many. Inis Meain makes for JL Powell and Ben Silver, I believe, but outside of them, finding well-made 100% linen sweaters seems to be difficult.

There are cotton-linen blends everywhere, of course, but my hunch is that that they don't hold their shape well. Anyone have experience?

Incidentally, the linen sweater I picked up from ASW is great, and highly recommended for "shoulder seasons."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

His blog is literally the first thing I read when I get a chance in the morning to catch up on the interwebs. His style, his turn of phrase, and his love for his daughter are all compelling. bam. Lowercase.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have one, Polo shawl collar cardigan. There are usually several versions from Polo on ebay - from their mid range lines, nothing special, but I like mine fine.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have a rust one from Loro Piana. I love it, but the linen always feels so heavy to me - if its warm enough to wear a linen item, the weight of the sweater usually just pisses me off. Maybe Ill wear it over a flannel shirt in the winter.

10. dieworkwear

Is yours a linen-cotton blend? If so, has its held its shape well over time?

Yea, mine is pretty heavy as well. I kind of like it that way though. Kind feels like my Asian guilt of having the weight of my ancestors on my chest manifest itself in physical form.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

that is one freaking beautiful sweater. perfect fall color. sadly, neither are my size. or maybe not so sadly.

13. dieworkwear

That's a really nice color.

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this, but does anyone know of a brand that makes a quilted jacket in a fabric with texture (i.e. not the typical shiny nylon/poly)? Epaulet just debuted their quilted blazer this morning made of a fabric called Valtherm "White Bear" Technical Wool. I don't like the jacket, but think the fabric looks fantastic and gives the garment much more depth than your typical quilted Barbour. They say it's an exclusive fabric, but does anyone know of something similar (again, the material and not the design)?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ Something like this, maybe: http://www.loropiana.com/flash.html#/lang:en/product/FAE0627/B24I

Dropped off a lot of summery stuff at the dry cleaners today; I think the weather's definitely turned towards the autumn now. Will have to rotate the wardrobe round this weekend. I already miss long summer days. Oh well, at least the changing of any season is like getting a whole bunch of new clothes to play with. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012