MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I'll still be there on time, promise!

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:cheers:

cant wait.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was flipping through this Japanese book I have on Neapolitan tailors and there's some great shots in there.

I like these guys

[​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Dude on the left has so much style, it's positively painful. Great stuff. Who is he?

Feeling a little grubby & sleazy today 'cos I went shopping at the Gap & found stuff I liked. [​IMG]

I got a pretty cool and nicely-fitting grey donegal odd jacket (even worse from an SF-perspective, it has a small %age of synthetic fabric) and a classic merino wool navy sweater. Do you guys ever do any "shopping slumming" like this or are you high-end all the way?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. mymil

mymil Senior member

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not sure who they are but i'll ask my wife to read the text and see if I recognize any names

7. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

I am certainly not "high-end all the way"

I do my shoppping "slumming" at Bannana republic (sale items) JCrew, Marshalls, TJ MAxx and Nordstrom Rack.

I have a question, but didn't want to start a whole new thread. Anyone have any shopping experience in Ireland? I am headed there in a couple of weeks, and will be pretty much all over, Dublin, Belfast, Galway etc. We dont have a set itinerary, so I can pretty much go wherever.

I am thinking about looking for a tweed sport coat, sweater, and depending on availability, some donegal tweed fabric for a CMT sport coat or suit. Any advice on particular shops, cities, or other items of interest in Ireland from a MC perspective is welcome. Frankly any advice about travelling in Ireland in general is welcome.

8. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I'm a 25 year old civil engineer. Most of my shopping is like that.

Though I'm working on not shopping at all, except the bits and pieces that I actually do need. It's a lot harder to do than I'd imagined.

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

This might lead to some head shakes, but more recently I've adopted a loose policy of only paying full price for items that are made for me. Beyond that, I've veered away from the borderline absurd "bells and whistles" of the top-tier OTR makers. I no longer see the utility or charm of a completely handmade garment if it doesn't fit properly. Buying a Kiton shirt because it is completely hand-finished and then taking it to a tailor who will make alterations on a machine seems completely useless.

While I don't currently have the budget (or the time) to go completely bespoke/MTM on all of my work attire, I find myself buying cheaper pieces (or pieces that can be had for a higher discount) as I save for the items that I really need. I've also narrowed my list down of stuff that I need/should be looking for (as stated in an earlier post here).

10. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

What about shoes, bb, have you set yourself a limit for them?

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I thrift when I can, it use to be all I could do to find gems. Now, when I love something, I get it and feel good about it (provided It's not less expensive elsewhere).

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is my aim too. However, the temptation on this path is to buy more discounted stuff because it's cheaper and you end up not saving as much as you had hoped.

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Famous last words here, but I am completely content with my shoes at the moment. I have all the basics covered, and for my line of work/industry there is no need to have a bunch of different styles. Loafers and derbies suffice. So for now all I am doing on the shoe front is investing in a quality cobbler and using Saphir as needed.

This was a struggle for me at first. However, I really make myself think about what I need. I also think in terms of opportunity costs: "This is discounted by 70%, but it's still $300. What can I use that $300 for that really matters?" I find that generally (mind a few rare outliers) the majority of items are on sale because they are not true staples. Aside from that, most of the truly great deals are online and my insistence for a proper fit and semi-objective level of quality keeps me from buying too much online anymore.

14. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Thanks for sharing those insights :)

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I wish I could afford high-end all the way. I buy nicer stuff from time to time but I'm also getting a lot of low end items in between - not only because my weight still hasn't settled, but also because I don't want to wear the same things everyday (obviously) and need to buy some cheaper things if I want variety. I still try to avoid synthetic materials on such cheap items, though. Eventually, nice stuff will replace all the garbage [​IMG]