MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Camo is military, military is masculine, men's clothing should be masculine, voila.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

3. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

Wait, wait wait, i thought nike bought Cole Haan, not Prada.

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I am not very partial to patterned jackets but light, summery patterned jackets are def not kosher.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Comes from streetwear (as in street style not the SWD forums), it comes back then leaves every few yrs. Brands like Bape, Supreme, Goodenough etc. have been going at it since the 90s. Sometimes more menswearish or fashion/SW&D brands catch up. I dunno if it is such a trend right now but I guess bloggers and their love of rap + spazzatura got really into it and started lining their stupid blazers with stupid camo.

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

New rule: No camo in town?

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

9. forex

forex Senior member

Some pictures of summer gun clubs that I think are decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

sorry to say it, but I think jodhpur boots suck balls like no other. They can not be worn without looking awkward.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've always been particularly interested in the Streetwear/Designer overlap (different parts of SW&D fall closer to one side or the other). Like Fuuma already stated, militaria has always been a major influence on streetwear. Actually, a good part of all menswear has had military influences and inspirations, but it's probably always been more pronounced and obvious in the streetwear inspired brands. Japanese brands like Undercover, A Bathing Ape, and Goodenough (Hiroshi Fujiwara's first brand), UK brands like Griffin, 6876, and Maharishi, and US brands like Stussy, have always had camo, M65 and M66's, etc... in their collections, as have "performance" brands like Stone Island, which, as far back as I can remember, has been co-opted by street culture in the UK.

It is a trend right now. I guess that it fits the mood of the moment, which is one that I haven't seen for a while, which is classic menswear mixing with street culture. Hard to see how far things can go. I have theories on why we're seeing this, but they aren't really that well fleshed out, so you guys are all spared, for now.

I'm personally not a fan, though I grew up wearing a lot of drab.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nothing says summer like a cozy roll neck sweater, a good pair of boots and a nice cup of hot cocoa... :D

13. forex

forex Senior member

Yeah I get it, gdl. That fabric is an 8 oz H.Lesser made for Carlo Barbera and definitely a summer fabric. I would not wear it in fall and/or winter.

14. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

Thanks for the great responses. I just feel like I've been seeing it more and more and more over the past few months - pocket squares, jackets, chinos at the mall, suits on blogs - I just saw some camo double monks on tumblr yesterday. Do you find that it becomes more popular based on any particular social factors? Do you think it's crossing over into tailored menswear is an attempt to appropriate 'classic' or 'traditional' values in a way somewhat similar to the appropriation of military constructs by streetwear?

15. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I addition to clashing somewhat with the outfit's otherwise summery vibes, I think those jodphurs would benefit from being a shade or two darker. They look tan, and I think chestnut would be a more harmonious match for the rest of the outfit.