• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great silhouette. The shape of the quarters is quite interesting too.

I would see that show, pB.

The whole of the Bay Area is weird in terms of dressing. At the moment the aspect that most catches my attention is the unpredictability. Who's going to wear what when is quite a mystery.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, silhouette is pretty amazing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. A little too corset for me. That snug wasp waist is a little too much shape for my taste.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1

Foo has an overcoat like that.

Eh, not quite IMO.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant is that I look at that front view and I think, "a little too corset for me."

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mighty Foocoat makes yet another appearance.

Obviously an extraordinary demonstration of the tailor's art, but in the above photos it certainly doesn't flatter him. A rare mistake (and an expensive one, I imagine) on Foo's part. I've seen plenty of other Foo fits where he really nails it.

The other jacket seems to me perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the drape-cut silhouette. Nipped waist and all.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously an extraordinary demonstration of the tailor's art, but in the above photos it certainly doesn't flatter him. A rare mistake (and an expensive one, I imagine) on Foo's part. I've seen plenty of other Foo fits where he really nails it.

+1

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The whole of the Bay Area is weird in terms of dressing. At the moment the aspect that most catches my attention is the unpredictability. Who's going to wear what when is quite a mystery.

I visited my banks corporate offices recently and several officers were delighted that ties were no longer required in their corporate offices (they are in the branches). I didn't see a single guy with a tie. This surprised me because this is one of the old school regional family owned banks that was always very conservative.

I do think that people appreciate it when you wear a nice jacket or suit with a tie, perhaps more now than ever. But, I do feel a bit out of place in most of the neighborhoods even wearing a tailored jacket with jeans and nice shoes. That even seems overly "formal".

I'm looking into more alternatives to my typical tailored jackets of fairly classic fabrics. I've already ordered a green corduroy suit that I'm sure will be worn mostly as separates. Corduroy jacket worn with jeans has a nice relaxed, classic look IMO.

Next will be a suede or leather jacket. But, with unique pocket details, stitching and buttons to not replicate a typical blazer cut. I'm surprised that with San Francisco being such an ideal place to wear leather jackets year round that I don't see more interesting options available at local retailers. The selection is pretty boring. But perhaps I'm missing some retailers with good options. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That bottom button is oddly low.

Agreed. I just don't get this.

I'm not a big fan of wide open quarters and the look is further exaggerated by breaking up the fabric pattern. It isn't as big a deal with a solid suit or even to some degree with a solid colored jacket but this just shouts "Check out my fly!"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Again, the lowered bottom button is something taken from Whife's Modern Tailor, Outfitter and Clothier of London -- an old tailoring book from the 1940s. It's likely some period affect.

The stylistic stuff is moot. The point of the experiment is the silhouette, which is Jeffery's try at a drape cut. 90% of that jacket is about the shaping of the chest and shoulders.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads