1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Sent!

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

wOOt WoOT!!

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Awesome! Thanks much.

4. Falgrim

Falgrim Active Member

This "denim under pinstripe" look manages to beat the "tie with a denim jacket" look.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. in stitches

has anyone here noticed a trend in your wardrobe that was unintentional?

when i was about 20, i realized that the last 4 suits i had bought were all blue 2 button SBs. sadly none fit me any longer, and now i dont have a solid navy suit, pathetic, i know. and the other day, as i was looking through my tie collection, it was pointed out to me that i have a surplus of polka dot ties.

i had no intention of building those collections, they just kind of happened, as i must have had a disposition to those items and styles. clearly i was buying things, thinking they were new additions to my wardrobe, when in reality, even though they were technically different, i was buying the same thing over and over.

similar experiences?

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the couple of years before SF I bought probably 4-5 pairs of pants between tan and ivory, without really realizing it. Now I don't think any of them are much worth wearing so...problem solved! :slayer:

7. unbelragazzo

That said, tan/beige/cream colored pants are awesome. Now I just need to get some nice ones that fit.

8. in stitches

lolz, happy shopping. nothing like having 4 or 5 of something, and no desire to wear any of them. :p

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

^ All but two out of my seven sport coats have some kind of plaid. Everytime I hunt for odd jackets I end up getting plaids, don't know if it's intentional or not, but I love them. I don't even have a decently fitting navy blazer [​IMG]

And now that I think of it, all of my current dress pants are summer weight [​IMG]

10. in stitches

not that i want to break the discussion of my awesome insight, but i wanted to put up this quote from edmorel.

it was a reply in the recent purchases thread, and i dont know how many people follow that thread. i was hoping it could get more eyeballs, and discussion centered around it, over here. its an excellent post, and deserves to be noticed.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. unbelragazzo

definitely. Reading ed's post made me think more about my wardrobe kind of generally. There are a couple more things that I'm going to get in a few months and then I think I'll write up a "how I think about my wardrobe"-type article which I hope will inspire others with more talent to do same, since my version will likely be a fail.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

That is great advice and something I will surely try to follow when I start building a definitive wardrobe (if I ever get to that point [​IMG]). Right now it's mostly a disposable one so I don't care that much about getting staple items.

14. in stitches

cmon now, lets not be down on ourselves.

btw, i was strongly leaning towards calling you, son. ;) no h8

15. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Yes. I have found that, for some reason, I keep being drawn to checked shirts, even though I know I have entirely too many of them already, and that I need a few staple striped shirts. I just can't help but be pulled in by the checks (ginghams and graphs, mostly). My ties are in a similar boat, but with solid, textured ties or navy silk neats. I can't explain it, but I think that instead of fighting it, I'll try to build off of it.

16. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I wish I'd read that a few years ago. I'm actually in the process of re-building, after many of my not-so-recent purchases have turned out to be fairly poor choices. I tend to the lightweight fabric side of things with most everything (a fresco suit gets year round wear with me, haters be damned), but I do need to double up on some of the few staples I do have.

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Just about all my ties are dark and patterned. They're still all patterned (I've mentioned in other threads that outside of examples with extreme texture, I don't believe in solid ties), but I've tried to bring a few lighter and moderate shades in.

18. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I have too many solid ties, especially in navy and brown; I need more patterned shirts. :nodding:

I love wool challis ties, which does not help, as I just ordered the last dark red solid wool challis from David Hober. :bounce2:

19. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I seem to collect odd trousers more than any other item. Since i do not use suits on a daily basis, I only have 2 in staple navy and grey. What I would like to start collecting is odd jackets, which I currently have two...

20. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Maybe you used "collecting" for lack of a better word, but I think that is a bad way to look at your wardrobe. I think it goes against what Ed was trying to say in that post that Stitch just quoted. Some of the better advice I have gotten here recently is that you shouldn't collect any pieces of clothing or shoes, because then you end up with tons of one-off pieces that don't work together with anything else you own, at which point you're screwed. I started off the wrong way when I first got interested in better clothing, buying interesting pieces one at a time ("collecting" cool things that I happened to come across), instead of focusing on getting a few staples that fit easily with most other things in my wardrobe.

Again, didn't mean to pick on you, and you might be doing the exact opposite in reality, but the "collecting" term jumped out at me. Since you already own staple navy and grey suits, you're already doing better than me right now :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012