1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Come on, it's a fresh new way to button your jacket! Sprezz, man!

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I bet it caused you physical pain to type "Sprezz".

3. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Far from the worst thing I've seen in the Pitti photos...

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why? If it is real, I have no issues with it.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

nm

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Pitti doesn't annoy me, I enjoy following it. I've seen that done by a few other guys there....so I decided to chat generally about it. It sure as he'll isn't "sprezz"...real or fake.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I know it's really hard to picture this from behind the screen but a lot of the faux sprezz is kind of a joke - it's often done humorously rather than trying to really look nonchalant. I meet so many guys here who just button their jacket strangely or wear funny hats as some kind of inside joke. I posted in our thread yesterday the pic of Kamoshita-san modeling a jacket for me with the wrong buttons on. He started buttoning it wrong and I said "Kamoshita-san, that's a little too much sprezzatura here, tris is the wrong buttonhole!" He looks at it and starts laughing and says "ha ha! Take the picture ha ha!" and started walking around the hall with the jacket obviously ridiculous. It's just a joke, sometimes.

3 people like this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^I saw that pic somewhere, and I saw that someone had commented, "That's an awfully-fitting jacket".

However, it was obvious that Kamoshita-san had just buttoned it up incorrectly and that he was just trying it on and not wearing it as part of an outfit, as he was still wearing his seersucker trousers.

Sometimes the outfits worn by people at Pitti are truly awful, and truly ridiculous. You're certainly right that people take the pictures far too seriously, though, as ultimately it's just people wearing clothes and it's not the end of the world if someone wears high-water trousers and unbuckled double monks without socks.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You're right, some things are also affectations but spread for the same reason a lot of people do things... to be/feel accepted. When no one wears socks at Pitti, and if you're a young guy trying to belong to this group and feel accepted by these people, the pressure to take your socks off is huge, right? So, in a way, some of those affectations become norm very much like their conservative counterpart is also a norm : to feel accepted, to belong, to appear that we follow the same rules as others.

Funny thing, today I was meeting with Sozzi Calze and Franco Sozzi told me : "thank you. Thank you for wearing socks." ha

3 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

Are you suggesting that the language of dress is social and that aesthetics is not ruled by reason, law, and science?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Pantherella socks -- found them utterly horrendous. Not sure what the big deal is.
    Back to Bresciani.

1 person likes this.
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Must agree about Pantherella.

I've had good experiences with Pantherella's wool socks, but all of the pairs of Pantherella cotton socks that I've had have worn out very quickly.

I wash in cold water and line dry - never use a clothes dryer - but without exception, my Pantherella cotton socks developed a slightly crispy, crunchy, dry feel after just a few wears and they seemed to shrink a little bit, too. They then lost any stretchiness and quite a few of them developed little holes on both sides of the ankles.

I tend to prefer Marcoliani over Bresciani but you're right - no going back to Pantherella.

Edited to add: I had some pairs of Pantherella for Paul Smith socks some years back and, curiously, they were good. They retained their soft, silky feel and lasted for a long time. I don't know why Pantherella's own-label socks wouldn't be as good as the socks that they make for other brands.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Referring to the cotton.
    Heavy, the color seems to indefinitely run in water, and they wear apart.
    The lightness of Bresciani cotton lisle is far preferable.

14. dieworkwear

Anyone have thoughts on black penny loafers? I owned a pair a long time ago and sold them because they never left the closet. Now thinking about getting a pair again, but can't imagine what they'd go well with. The only things I can think of are: 1) blue odd jacket plus grey trous; and 2) dark brown linen suit

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

So what's making you think about getting a pair again?

1 person likes this.
  16. dieworkwear

I suppose the same reason why I got them in the first place. I thought they could be sharper than brown loafers in certain contexts (grey trousers with blue jacket, mainly, although I think they could also work with a dark brown linen suit, which I'm planning to have made).

17. unbelragazzo

Why not go full d-bag and get tassels? Or horsebit? I think if you're really after something sharper, then you might as well just wear black oxfords in those cases. Black loafers has that kind of club tie feel to me - it's something that is never really wrong, even when it doesn't look right.

18. dieworkwear

Black oxfords with an odd jacket?

I can't get past the social connotation of horsebit loafers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  19. unbelragazzo

Blue jacket isn't really "odd jacket". I could be wrong, but my impression is that the social connotation of black penny loafers is in the same direction of horsebit loafers, though not as strong.

20. dieworkwear

I agree. The horsebit connotation is really strong though.

Anyway, maybe if I'm having to think this hard about them, I shouldn't get them. My prob with them last time is that I always wanted to reach for brown loafers instead.

1 person likes this.