• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate business casual. Tropical worsteds always looks like they're missing their suit jacket. I like cotton trousers, but you have to be confident in your ironing skills to keep them crisp.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One could be elegantly dressed (perhaps not optimally but still fine) in mid-weight suits for most of the year, wearing an overcoat in chilly months to stay warm and perhaps suffering a bit during the summer. Trousers, however, I think really benefit from seasonality. For fall / winter, that means a lot of grey flannel (light to mid). You can supplement these with the occasional tan or brown in cavalry twill or flannel. Without reigniting the navy odd trousers debate, I think you could add in a navy flannel if you really wanted to if you're not wearing it with a jacket. For summer, Fresco or tropical weight wool trousers in a light to mid grey. If you can wear linen trousers to work, tan, cream and brown linen work nicely.

There is nothing wrong with navy trousers, worn with tan / mid-brown, mid to light grey, olive or moss green jackets. There is just a weird prejudice on this forum against them, which in general I would ignore once you know what you're doing. At least one pair of navy flannels and / or navy chinos (and of course denims if you wear them) are useful to have.

I think there are some cycles that go on here with pleats. I don't personally like them and find flat fronts to be far better, but many well dressed men today and in years past wear pleats. You can definitely wear them.

As I've said before, more people here would look a whole lot better with pleats than with flat fronts (plus higher waists and braces too). Flat-fronted pants are particularly inelegant when sitting. It has nothing to do with how slim you are either. As a small, slim runner, I can 'get away with' flat fronts better than most but, except for more casual trousers, I'm only getting my trousers made with single reverse pleats perhaps, a higher waist and brace buttons (no belt loops) from now on.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with navy trousers, worn with tan / mid-brown, mid to light grey, olive or moss green jackets. There is just a weird prejudice on this forum against them, which in general I would ignore once you know what you're doing. At least one pair of navy flannels and / or navy chinos (and of course denims if you wear them) are useful to have.

As I've said before, more people here would look a whole lot better with pleats than with flat fronts (plus higher waists and braces too). Flat-fronted pants are particularly inelegant when sitting. It has nothing to do with how slim you are either. As a small, slim runner, I can 'get away with' flat fronts better than most but, except for more casual trousers, I'm only getting my trousers made with single reverse pleats perhaps, a higher waist and brace buttons (no belt loops) from now on.

I think part of my issue with navy odd trousers stems from trying to have a somewhat minimal wardrobe. I find light to medium grey to be very useful and versatile (and to look better than navy even in your examples except for with grey jackets). If I'm not wearing grey trousers, it's probably going to be a shade of tan or brown and done in a more casual way. So I'm not really sure what I'd do with navy (or charcoal for that matter). I'm tempted to experiment with a pair of RAF blue flannel trousers at some point as I think that color might end up being more useful than navy.

I agree on the higher waist and brace buttons (though I find side tabs work pretty well too for me). For pleats vs. flat fronts, I'm not sure most trousers look particularly elegant when one is sitting down. If one is wearing a jacket, I'd think this would matter less in any event. Maybe I'll order two pairs of trousers with my next suit (one pleated, one flat front) and see what I think.

Stencil

Reaction score

I think it's more than that. As far as I'm aware, many older British gentleman and tailors will tell you that navy trousers "weren't done." They were never part of the English casual tailored wardrobe, country or city, and for that reason, they tend to look weird or unfamiliar within that tradition of dress. One can ignore this totally, I guess. Respected members of this forum certainly do. The color contrasts you outlined do work, if just technically.

emptym

Reaction score
I used to like navy pants. Had to wear them w/ a school uniform as a kid, and got a pair of Girbauds in high school... When I first had pants made in 97 at age 23, I had them made in tropical wool in dark brown and navy. I wore those a fair amount, but less than khaki, stone, or grays I had. If one had to go mid-dark brown or navy, I think would look best in linen, cotton, or corduroy. But first I'd rather have three or four each in stone/cream, tan, light gray and dark gray.

This could be because I wear sport coats regularly now and I didn't when I liked dark brown and navy. Or it could just be because my taste has changed or improved. I do know that I still prefer tans or grays during the odd times I need to wear dress pants but not wear a sport coat. Ymmv.

A couple years ago someone asked a similar question in a different thread and I posted pics of what I thought was a good set of four pairs for summer and four for winter. But now I'd probably switch charcoal for mid gray. Or just add it. I find charcoal pants to be helpful in the winter for wear w/ tweed sportcoats and in the summer for wear w/ barongs, which is probably why I chose charcoal. I do enjoy my barongs. Charcoal would also go well w/ a guayabera or a simple white linen shirt.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I found out that Ferarri designed a blow dryer. I thought to myself, oh man, I want it! Then I reminded myself that people who get exotic car apparel are mostly douchebags who in no way own an exotic car. Then I thought to myself. Our very own @SpooPoker owns a Ferrari and has great hair. Perhaps he would be interested in the Ferrari blow dryer!

babyliss-v1-volare-dryer-with-ferrari-1.jpg

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So I found out that Ferarri designed a blow dryer. I thought to myself, oh man, I want it! Then I reminded myself that people who get exotic car apparel are mostly douchebags who in no way own an exotic car. Then I thought to myself. Our very own @SpooPoker owns a Ferrari and has great hair. Perhaps he would be interested in the Ferrari blow dryer!

babyliss-v1-volare-dryer-with-ferrari-1.jpg

Wow. I don't know if I need a V12 to dry my hair, I think a turbocharged V8 would do the trick.

Stencil

Reaction score
I have to ask: why expend 2000 watts to dry one's hair? What's wrong with evaporation?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's more than that. As far as I'm aware, many older British gentleman and tailors will tell you that navy trousers "weren't done." They were never part of the English casual tailored wardrobe, country or city, and for that reason, they tend to look weird or unfamiliar within that tradition of dress. One can ignore this totally, I guess. Respected members of this forum certainly do. The color contrasts you outlined do work, if just technically.

Well, there was an association of cheap navy serge with the kind of trousers worn by the lower classes, particularly labourers and prisoners (and of course, naval uniform). However, we live in a more democratic age.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Blowdrying helps add volume.

Also helps hold certain styles in place. And the negative ion function smooths out the follicles.

I never considered blow drying my hair, but after it was offered as a suggestion by the teenage Latina at the grocery store I pulled out my girlfriend's to give it a shot. It's not bad. I only use the cool air function so I don't get heat damage, but I am liking the effect. Naturally, because I'm a nut I have been researching top-of-the-line blow dryers.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also helps hold certain styles in place. And the negative ion function smooths out the follicles.

I never considered blow drying my hair, but after it was offered as a suggestion by the teenage Latina at the grocery store I pulled out my girlfriend's to give it a shot. It's not bad. I only use the cool air function so I don't get heat damage, but I am liking the effect. Naturally, because I'm a nut I have been researching top-of-the-line blow dryers.

Any recs?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads