1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You're just jealous.

2. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

+1

Foo has an overcoat like that.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Eh, not quite IMO.

[​IMG]

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

What I meant is that I look at that front view and I think, "a little too corset for me."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

The mighty Foocoat makes yet another appearance.

Obviously an extraordinary demonstration of the tailor's art, but in the above photos it certainly doesn't flatter him. A rare mistake (and an expensive one, I imagine) on Foo's part. I've seen plenty of other Foo fits where he really nails it.

The other jacket seems to me perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the drape-cut silhouette. Nipped waist and all.

6. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

+1

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I visited my banks corporate offices recently and several officers were delighted that ties were no longer required in their corporate offices (they are in the branches). I didn't see a single guy with a tie. This surprised me because this is one of the old school regional family owned banks that was always very conservative.

I do think that people appreciate it when you wear a nice jacket or suit with a tie, perhaps more now than ever. But, I do feel a bit out of place in most of the neighborhoods even wearing a tailored jacket with jeans and nice shoes. That even seems overly "formal".

I'm looking into more alternatives to my typical tailored jackets of fairly classic fabrics. I've already ordered a green corduroy suit that I'm sure will be worn mostly as separates. Corduroy jacket worn with jeans has a nice relaxed, classic look IMO.

Next will be a suede or leather jacket. But, with unique pocket details, stitching and buttons to not replicate a typical blazer cut. I'm surprised that with San Francisco being such an ideal place to wear leather jackets year round that I don't see more interesting options available at local retailers. The selection is pretty boring. But perhaps I'm missing some retailers with good options. If you have any suggestions let me know.

1 person likes this.
  8. GusW

Agreed. I just don't get this.

I'm not a big fan of wide open quarters and the look is further exaggerated by breaking up the fabric pattern. It isn't as big a deal with a solid suit or even to some degree with a solid colored jacket but this just shouts "Check out my fly!"

9. dieworkwear

Again, the lowered bottom button is something taken from Whife's Modern Tailor, Outfitter and Clothier of London -- an old tailoring book from the 1940s. It's likely some period affect.

The stylistic stuff is moot. The point of the experiment is the silhouette, which is Jeffery's try at a drape cut. 90% of that jacket is about the shaping of the chest and shoulders.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. dieworkwear

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  12. GusW

The shoulders and chest are excellent.

1 person likes this.
  13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

it is beautiful and jeffreyd is extremely talented.

1 person likes this.
  14. Big A

Big A Senior member

This is an interesting thread - maybe the first I've read on SF in years

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

It's a good thread, but some entirely gratuitous pictures of women with large breasts would make it better still.

[​IMG]

Gotcha!

1 person likes this.
  16. GusW

I'm seeing fewer SA's in downtown San Francisco stores wearing ties or jackets/suits. In Neiman Marcus most are still in a jacket and tie, but places like WIlkes and Barney's there is a mix of no tie/no suit and SA's with ties and jackets.

Do you think this makes them more approachable? Some SA's have indicated that they need to dress more relaxed to not intimidate certain customers. If you were an SA dealing with a wide range of people and styles would you wear a tie and jacket everyday?

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm currently at a coffee shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn wearing a full suit (fresco) on a disgustingly hot and humid day. I can't believe I am the only suited gentleman.

18. dieworkwear

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    8 people like this.
  19. bertie

bertie Senior member

I prefer SAs to dress like the clothes they are selling - it gives me a clue as to whether any of their opinions can be trusted

1 person likes this.
  20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I don't think it has to do with intimidation or even the comfort of the SA -- more to do with a wide range of clothing that is being sold. Stores like Barney's in particular (more so in their Co-Ops, but in the motherships as well) really seem to flirt the line between more experimental fashion and classic, well-made pieces. If I'm looking at buying something Raf, I'm not going to give much credence to the guy wearing Brioni. Which leads to bertie's thought...

The other thing I will say is that SAs in suits/jackets and ties immediately rub me the right or wrong way. More formal clothing is much easier to objectively diagnose as good or bad. So if your shirt/tie/square combo, shoe selection or overall fit look like shit, the fact that you're more dressed up won't lead me to trust you any more. Granted, that may be more an indication of my SF/nerd roots, but I hate when SAs talk/act like experts yet dress as though they don't own a mirror.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.