1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

What's weird is not that some old guy calls random dudes on the internet "nephew."

What's weird is that RANDOM DUDES REPLY BY SAYING "THANK YOU, UNCLE"

3 people like this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bespoke, or MTM?

3. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

It reminds me of a BDS&M thing, "nice shoes uncle". "Shut up nephew and kiss my double soled long wings!"

4. dieworkwear

MTO by MMM (Mystery Mug Maker)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of the Bay Area MTO companies says that aside from a few conservative lawyers who go to court, most of his customers want something with an expressive detail to show people that their suit or jacket is custom. They want it to become a conversation point.

It isn't about classic menswear as much as a personal statement.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

You put this very kindly.

9 people like this.
  7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Apparently "fitting well" isn't enough. Please make my lapel buttonhole red. I'm different.

2 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

That just means you got an Isaia jacket... Working buttonholes don't mean anything anymore just like ticket pockets don't either.

9. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I saw it a first time and thought: "that's weird."
    I saw it a second time and thought: "someone is making a joke here."
    By the third time I saw it I thought: "this is creepy as fuck."

2 people like this.
  10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most of those "expressive details" can be put on RTW jackets for less than $50. Red buttonholes includes.

1 person likes this.
  11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw this photo and my first thought was...is that @PTWilliams?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I have three jackets from the 80's that have peak lapels, single breasted, ticket and flap pockets. None of the pockets are functional... It was out of a trad store in New Haven!

13. patrickBOOTH

You have to cut the stitching out of the pockets.

5 people like this.
  14. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

No, that's Ted Cruz. He's running for president, you should know this given where you live.
    JK, I know what you meant.

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

No shit Sherlock. They don't have any.

16. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

:lol:

1 person likes this.
  17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I gave up on the EG thread 8722 posts ago and haven't looked at it since, as I don't want a pair of Galways and got rather tired of the folks who posted pics of their five different pairs of Galways in different combinations!

I strongly agree about the "buy, buy, buy, kop, kop, kop" atmosphere in quite a few threads.

I know that this is SF and I know that we live in a consumer society, but it freaks me out when I see people buying 30 pairs of high-end shoes in a year, plus suits, plus a couple of high-end watches. Of course, I'm sure that there are some very wealthy people on SF, but when I see things like that, I can't help but think, "That guy spent $50 000 or more in one year on clothing and watches. That's just incredible. That's a decent house deposit or a year's sabbatical from work."

Good to see you dropping in, @DocHolliday !

1 person likes this.
  18. dieworkwear

I don't think you can even get a shack in the worst parts of the Bay Area with a $50k deposit.

I don't have a problem with people spending a lot on clothes. I spend a lot on clothes. So long as people can afford it, I don't see what's the problem.

The threads are just boring cause the discussions have turned into the Alden thread.

"Check out my new shoes."
    "Very nice, nephew."
    "Should I get these purple walrus skin boots?"
    "Definitely, uncle."

To be fair, most of the shoe threads were always like that. But people used to be more discerning, and styles used to be more classic, which IMO made them more interesting to read.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

There's spending a lot on clothes, and then there's spending a lot on clothes. SF, and to a larger extent the menswear internet hobby (instagram being the latest and greatest) as a whole, fetishise a lifestyle that the majority following it cannot afford. It's interesting because I come here and follow many to learn about classic menswear but end up inundated with the conspicuous consumption that I was trying to avoid.

I suppose it's all perspective.

4 people like this.
  20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Naturally, if all of the people spending $50k a year on clothes, shoes and watches are wealthy, then that's fine.

I could probably have phrased things better because something that irks me about SF, as you pointed out, is the "kopping".

It's natural for people to want to be part of a group and, of course, SF is a group and there are sub-groups within the larger group of SF. Various sub-groups on SF prize various things - watches, shoes, ties, particular suits and so on.

I can't help but think that a lot of the kopping that goes on around here is due to members wanting to be part of particular groups, wanting to keep up with the latest popular styles, wanting to have product X if these other guys who are posting pics also have product X.

I feel certain - although this is just a hunch, rather than actual knowledge - that there are quite a few people on SF who have considerably over-extended themselves due to the self-imposed pressure to "kop" and to show off their new purchases in the WAYWRN thread or the watch appreciation thread or so on.

The constant purchasing also appears to be really wasteful. It's not unusual to see threads in the B&S forum about people "thinning their wardrobe" and they're selling shoes that are totally unworn, that they were showing off in the Carmina or EG thread a few months prior. That's great for those who want a 50% discount on brand-new-in-box shoes, but clearly not good for the seller.

Everyone's free to spend their money on whatever they like, but I personally think that it would be great if there was a bit more restraint and a bit less kopping at times, and I'm sure that SF "enables" and aggravates that over-consumption and unnecessary consumption.

1 person likes this.