• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

The Thin Man

Reaction score

Thanks for finding that dopey post. Reminds me also that I am due for a re-read of some tutee posts.

I actually asked (e)tutee three years ago if I could repost a lot of his Apparel Arts-related posts, when I thought there may be a prominent place for such posts after the StyleForum redesign. He kindly replied that it would be fine, as long as I didn't include the text he wrote for the London Lounge. But then the "instructionals" or whatever they were called disappeared from the site. I just think it would be nice to have a single place to appreciate all of the research (and scanning) that he did.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess the Passagio Cravatte affiliate thread is shutting down, which means all the posts will be gone. Figured I'd save this somewhere, since it was one of the more useful posts out of the whole thing.

...so Styleforum has been duped by Southern Italian shenanigans?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can somebody summarize what happened with Gianni?

Fashion journalist comes across a supply of old Italian silk fabric offcuts.

Thinks 'I could get ties made out of those and sell them as 'vintage' at a premium - especially if I do it in Napoli!'.

Invents authentic-sounding back-story.

Gets good publicity by sending free samples from his best fabrics to bloggers.

Builds up following of friend-customers on SF with his exclusive offerings, quirky Italian English, apparent expertise, and enthusiasm.

Demands rapidly exceeds supply, so he turns to any available fabric offcuts. He can't tell the difference anyway so how would anyone else?

Some real experts notice that some of the 'vintage' fabrics are 1. not that old; and/or, 2. English not Italian; and/or, 3. inkjet-printed; and/or, in some cases, 4. acquired by dubious methods;

Friend-customers start to become unhappy with broken promises, lengthy waiting times and evasion of basic questions.

Leaves SF and continues to sell by other means, hoping that no-one else has noticed.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had met Gianni and Marta in Milan a few months back and they seemed perfectly reasonable. Then all the controversy about Passaggio Cravette started and had me worried for a while that I wouldn't get the ties that I ordered. I did receive my ties eventually but it wasn't without some anxiety. I like the ties I received and I'm thinking of getting more because he has patterns that I have seen nowhere else.

Unlike some people, the age of the fabrics have never been selling point for me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see, but saying something is something, but it isn't something is ****** and he should sit in the corner for that.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had met Gianni and Marta in Milan a few months back and they seemed perfectly reasonable. Then all the controversy about Passaggio Cravette started and had me worried for a while that I wouldn't get the ties that I ordered. I did receive my ties eventually but it wasn't without some anxiety. I like the ties I received and I'm thinking of getting more because he has patterns that I have seen nowhere else.

Unlike some people, the age of the fabrics have never been selling point for me.

I really just think he bit off more than he could chew due to the rapid expansion of the business.

Personally, it was the combination of unique fabrics and the age that attracted me (as someone with an interest in the history of urban style). However the price seemed excessive from the start. It's all been a very interesting case-study in how luxury and niche markets work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads