Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it sounds to me that he really doesnt care about dress, but he wants to look good. so he found something that he likes and looks good, and cloned it. not my cuppa, but beats a guy who doesnt care and looks like crap.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Why buy 10 of the same tie? He could just wear the same actual tie every day at 1/10 the price. Its not like they need to be washed.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

A few weeks ago Vox caught some flak for referring to ties as "disposal." However, I tend to agree with him. Inevitably my ties end up getting stained or falling victim to pulls, etc. And, as you said, because you cannot really wash/clean them (pardon, Tie Crafters), it's not totally absurd to get more than one if you think that's the only tie you're going to wear. However, 10 is a bit extreme, bordering on ridiculous IMO.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I suppose 1 backup might be in order, but then you can always go buy another one. Maybe he is worried they will stop making that model.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Not sure. Dude is pretty eccentric-looking (read: long, curly hair, beard and a pierced ear) so the conservative shirt/tie combo was what sparked my interest at first. We didn't go into details of his motivations. Perhaps I'll tell him to sign up for SF haha.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

For some reason, the unofficial uniform in my office seems to be blue odd trousers, a blue or white with blue button-up shirt, and medium brown shoes/belt. It isn't the worst thing I've seen, but an inordinately large percentage of the younger (under 35 or so) wear this. I'm wondering if this is specific to my office, or if this is true of business casual in other offices as well.

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Another thought that occurred to me is that I hate driving loafers. I despise the rubber running up the back of the shoe. I suppose they are fine for actual driving, but I think they look terrible in an office environment.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Same style & colour pale blue shirt every day I can actually understand. It's a very versatile colour & style so there's a certain logic at work in his choosing that as his personal shirt choice. Same tie every day I can't get behind, especially if it's a pattern. He could just as easily have 10 equally discreet neat patterns that pair very well against his preferred shirt.

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I don't understand the uniform mentality at all. It seems utterly joyless.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^

I suppose a lot of people view the way we dress as such...

11. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

I agree but i really like the idea of a uniform in bits and pieces. Like a belt that is the one you wear every day. One person I know wears C&J westbournes no mater what—with a suit or with jeans, or with shorts. It sometimes looks a bit off, but he owns a ton of shoes just chooses to wear those, and there's a certain charm to it too.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is pretty clever, imo.

13. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Twenty something years ago I actually wore the same style and colour shirts, ties, blazer and pants for four years straight. But I stopped when I graduated high school...

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Anybody else noticing a lot more pocket squares on dudes who are be no means well dressed? I swear I saw a guy last week with a suit 3 sizes too big and a fairly decent looking pocket square...combined with square toe kenneth coles.

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/chatsworth-90-green