• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sounds to me that he really doesnt care about dress, but he wants to look good. so he found something that he likes and looks good, and cloned it. not my cuppa, but beats a guy who doesnt care and looks like crap.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy I work with (who does a lot of new business pitches and therefore is one of the few people in my office to wear a tie most everyday) seems to wear the exact same tie/shirt combo, without fail. I asked him this morning and he told me that he had 15 end-on-end, semi-spread pale blue shirts made by WW Chan when he lived in Tokyo. He also bought 10 of the same maroon and blue Ferragamo ties (they are a quite conservative neat pattern). These are the only formal shirts and ties that he owns and he wears the same exact combination with either medium or charcoal grey pants 3-4 days a week. Not sure if the pants are bespoke or not.
The definition (more or less) of style is a personal take on a uniform. However, since everything is literally the exact same day in and day out, is this style or just laziness?
Why buy 10 of the same tie? He could just wear the same actual tie every day at 1/10 the price. Its not like they need to be washed.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
A few weeks ago Vox caught some flak for referring to ties as "disposal." However, I tend to agree with him. Inevitably my ties end up getting stained or falling victim to pulls, etc. And, as you said, because you cannot really wash/clean them (pardon, Tie Crafters), it's not totally absurd to get more than one if you think that's the only tie you're going to wear. However, 10 is a bit extreme, bordering on ridiculous IMO.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago Vox caught some flak for referring to ties as "disposal." However, I tend to agree with him. Inevitably my ties end up getting stained or falling victim to pulls, etc. And, as you said, because you cannot really wash/clean them (pardon, Tie Crafters), it's not totally absurd to get more than one if you think that's the only tie you're going to wear. However, 10 is a bit extreme, bordering on ridiculous IMO.
I suppose 1 backup might be in order, but then you can always go buy another one. Maybe he is worried they will stop making that model.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Not sure. Dude is pretty eccentric-looking (read: long, curly hair, beard and a pierced ear) so the conservative shirt/tie combo was what sparked my interest at first. We didn't go into details of his motivations. Perhaps I'll tell him to sign up for SF haha.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, the unofficial uniform in my office seems to be blue odd trousers, a blue or white with blue button-up shirt, and medium brown shoes/belt. It isn't the worst thing I've seen, but an inordinately large percentage of the younger (under 35 or so) wear this. I'm wondering if this is specific to my office, or if this is true of business casual in other offices as well.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thought that occurred to me is that I hate driving loafers. I despise the rubber running up the back of the shoe. I suppose they are fine for actual driving, but I think they look terrible in an office environment.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same style & colour pale blue shirt every day I can actually understand. It's a very versatile colour & style so there's a certain logic at work in his choosing that as his personal shirt choice. Same tie every day I can't get behind, especially if it's a pattern. He could just as easily have 10 equally discreet neat patterns that pair very well against his preferred shirt.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand the uniform mentality at all. It seems utterly joyless.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

I suppose a lot of people view the way we dress as such...

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

I don't understand the uniform mentality at all. It seems utterly joyless.

I agree but i really like the idea of a uniform in bits and pieces. Like a belt that is the one you wear every day. One person I know wears C&J westbournes no mater what—with a suit or with jeans, or with shorts. It sometimes looks a bit off, but he owns a ton of shoes just chooses to wear those, and there's a certain charm to it too.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Big Bird

Reaction score
Twenty something years ago I actually wore the same style and colour shirts, ties, blazer and pants for four years straight. But I stopped when I graduated high school...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else noticing a lot more pocket squares on dudes who are be no means well dressed? I swear I saw a guy last week with a suit 3 sizes too big and a fairly decent looking pocket square...combined with square toe kenneth coles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads