1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just assume everybody who has a dog fucks it. You mean, they don't? :confused:

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's a conversation that's probably never happened before:

SF Member's Wife: Why do you have so few pocket squares?

SF Member: I have like 20.

SF Member's Wife: That's so few!

SF Member: It's fine. Really. I have plenty.

SF Member's Wife: Noooooo. I feel bad. I thought you had more.

------

So I think I have a good idea what I'll be getting from her for Christmas now.

4 people like this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

5. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

D, I think these turned out pretty well:

[​IMG]

Normally not a fan of visible monograms, but yes, that is my screen name on one shoe. Well, it was a nickname 30-something yrs before a screen name. The other one was given to me by my jr high math teacher/principal since I'd always argue, "Ya, but..."

4 people like this.
  6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Those look great. I'm always really surprised by how lightweight those Flyknits are when I put them on. Really impressive construction and technology, esp for the price.

7. emptym

Thanks D. And thanks for your thoughts earlier. Most comfortable sneakers I've owned. We'll see how they hold up though.

And ya, the technology is impressive, but I think they're fairly pricy. I only got these since my wife's work gave them all a big credit on NikeID for completing a project. The joys of startups.

8. dieworkwear

I'm surprised that the Bay Area has bespoke tailors who visit, and a lot of people with money, but aside from Wilkes Bashford, there's no store that caters to that kind of clientele.

De Corato was really nice, but they closed.

Someone should open a store here.

1 person likes this.
  9. emptym

There's also Wingtip. Plus Beckett and Robb, Spoon, Indochino, Andres Georges, and others. But yes, no dedicated, very high end, locally made bespoke afaik.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

ArmourySF would be cool.

1 person likes this.
  11. dieworkwear

I feel like Wingtip caters to a different kind of customer.

Never been in Andres Georges. Is his operation kind of like Franz Custom Tailors?

12. emptym

Yes different, but there's overlap imo. Have you met Eric, their tailor? Great, young guy.

I've never been to AG either, but guys like Binge and Imatlas have very nice looking stuff from his shop. I think the stuff is actually made in a factory in LA.

13. UrbanComposition

G does all my tailoring. He showed me an odd jacket they recently did in a Reid & Taylor gunclub. IIRC they don't make it themselves, though it did look nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

I understand what you’re trying to say but I wonder if you’ve perhaps already identified what’s frustrating you. You have a lot of knowledge and you know what you want – but eBay keeps letting you down when the actual items don’t live up to your expectations from the description or photographs.

Just a thought – maybe you could try a different approach. Forget all the brand names for the moment and check out some bricks and mortar stores looking for fabric quality and the right fit. I don’t think that I would want continue with the eBay on-line fit lottery – so I’d be trying to find a brand that fits me well with good quality fabric and then at least I’ve got a foundation to build on.

For example, Uniqlo has just arrived in Sydney so I’ve had the opportunity of seeing their clothes first hand. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and fit – and the prices are very reasonable. More importantly, they were consistent with what was displayed on their website; so I’d now be comfortable ordering on-line without worrying about nasty surprises when the shipment arrives.

So if there isn’t a Uniqlo store near you (don’t know where you live), then perhaps this is an alternative to consider rather than continuing with your eBay frustrations.
    Uniqlo is just one example of course; and there are many other good brands to choose from.

I hope this helps you feel a bit better– and sorry I have no answer for your shoulder question.

15. dieworkwear

Haven't met Eric. I feel like I understood their shop a lot better when they were at their last location, but this new spot leaves me feeling a little confused on what they're trying to do. Recently went up to the club room though and liked it. I just don't walk away from the clothing store section understanding what they're aiming for.

Do you mean alterations? I don't think I've seen a photo of you in an AG jacket before, unless it was an MBT kind of thing.

16. emptym

Oops, it's Erik, Gavrilov. Pretty young but seems capable. Honest, passionate, hungry for learning, and really friendly. I like him a lot. We should visit him sometime.

Ya, they do a little of everything: vintage, cutting edge, streetwear, CM... kind of like a blog we all know and love. :devil:

UC, I had the same question. Still love your tumblr btw. Oh, and is your newer NSM stuff cut w/ a narrower shoulder?

17. UrbanComposition

Yes, alterations; sorry for the confusion. Andreas and his son are great and they have a keen eye for balance, etc.
    Actually I'm getting more extended shoulders so the sleeves fall straight(er) down, as opposed to round(er).
    I should post more here...Tumblr & Instagram gets all my love :embar:

1 person likes this.
  18. emptym

Ah, OK. Thanks. That navy jacket you posted recently seemed narrow and I assumed it was new for some reason.